Sign in with
Your question

Freeze when doing more than one thing at the same time

Last response: in Motherboards
August 3, 2008 2:31:46 PM

Hello there, first of all, id like to apologize if this is the wrong forums or a question already asked and answered somewhere else, im very new to this and looked around but didnt find something or someone with exactly the same problem as I have.

Here goes, some weeks ago I ordered a new computer at komplett.no.

It's name was Komplett gamer a10, cost me not to much, but as I didnt have much I was fine with this as I just wanted an uppgrade from the crap im using atm.

specs of this machine is this Proccessor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00GB (it was 1gb but i put in more eventually)
Systemtype: 32 bit OS
GfX card: Asus Geforce 8500gt

Windows vista it is. Now here's my problem really, when I first got it I noticed some strange freezes upon opening files, like trying to watch a movie, then clicking on a new movie to watch that instead. Or going through pictures, theres comes this loop sound like rrrrrr (?) and its all frozen, causing me to turn it off and on again. I reinstalled vista, uninstalled programs like asus gamer osd (some clocking mechanism I think). And it got better, I could log on World of Warcraft and play for a while, but If I try to turn on a movie while playing it freezes at once or before 30 seconds.

I returned it for repairs, waited a month, got it back with exactly the same problem. The only thing they had done was ran some mem tests, hdd tests and stuff like that.

Im not good with computers, I dont understand them much, but ive had some friends trying to guide me through various stuff to do.

Ive uppdated drivers, bios was also fine. Set it to work for max performance instead of quality (or whatever its called hehe)

Last night I did download again and innstalled latest driver from Nvidia for my geforce card, making it even worse, now not even having to turn on a movie, but insta freeze as I logged into World of Warcraft. So I went to asus homepage, downloaded latest driver for geforce from them, wich resulted in it being a tad better, now being able to watch movie for almost 30 seconds before freeze.

Basically its this, my computer doesnt handle doing stuff at the same time, as in play a game and watch a movie.

If you want more specs ill do my best to provide, im at the verge off just throwing the thing in komplett's face, demand my money back and get a new one from another place. im tired of waiting so I was kinda hoping someone had a solution for me here.

I hope I havent trouble

More about : freeze thing time

August 4, 2008 1:03:10 AM

It's hard to say what might be going wrong, but it's probably some software setting.
However, it's always good to make sure the hardware is OK, so start by creating a memtest86+ bootable CD (the image file to burn the CD is freely available for download). Boot from the CD and let memtest86+ run through at least 2 complete passes (this will likely take hours). If there are any errors, there is a problem with the hardware or basic settings. If not, download a program called Orthos (or similar PRIME95-based stress-tester): http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm
Run it in "blend" mode and make sure there are no errors for at least an hour or two. Again, if there are any errors, there is a problem with the hardware or basic settings.

Also, the 6000+ CPU runs very hot and may be overheating when doing a lot at once. Download the free program CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and monitor your CPU temps while running Orthos (or doing something else that causes your problem). If the CPU temp gets too hot, it may be slowing itself down to "cool off". This would also be a problem for komplett.
August 4, 2008 1:22:37 AM

vista does tend to stutter a lot, where xp would respond instantly ,,,I've noticed it too...
Related resources
August 4, 2008 1:23:48 AM

Yes, and it likes 3 or 4GB better than just 2GB, but if it's a hardware problem it'll be easier for the OP to resolve the situation with the store.
August 4, 2008 1:59:45 AM

If its not PC2 6400 ram or faster it coulde be the problem. Also if the ram you added doen't match it could make things worse.

Bottom line 1g and Vista is likely the first problem. You adding different or incompatible ram might be the issue now.

Nothing on your rig screams multitask to me. Vista requires almost 1g of ram and a game and a movie will hog the rest, not to mention anything else in the background.

Nothings wrong with your pc you just expect to much.
August 4, 2008 10:49:08 PM

Ignore RR's post -- pretty much everything in it is wrong.

(sorry, RR :(  )
August 4, 2008 10:53:13 PM

Mondoman said:
Ignore RR's post -- pretty much everything in it is wrong.

(sorry, RR

Theres nothing to be sorry about. You obviously just cant comprehend the problem. I suppose you think it should work with 512mb of ram. Lets not forget this is Vista.

If your such a all knowing GURU, lets here what the real problem is. Ya thats what I thought.
August 5, 2008 8:20:10 PM

Sorry, I was rude by being so curt. :( 
I should have included my reasons.

roadrunner197069 said:
If its not PC2 6400 ram or faster it coulde be the problem.
No, the system will just run the memory according to its SPD settings. Memory speed wouldn't cause a periodic slowdown.

roadrunner197069 said:
Also if the ram you added doen't match it could make things worse.
Not sure what you mean by "doen't match", but either the memory works or it doesn't. It wouldn't cause periodic slowdowns.

roadrunner197069 said:
Bottom line 1g and Vista is likely the first problem.
He's got 2GB in there.
roadrunner197069 said:
You adding different or incompatible ram might be the issue now.
No, see above.

roadrunner197069 said:
Nothing on your rig screams multitask to me.
Not sure what you're trying to get at here, but it doesn't seem relevant.

roadrunner197069 said:
Vista requires almost 1g of ram and a game and a movie will hog the rest, not to mention anything else in the background.

Changing nVidia drivers changed the problem so it appears without the movie.

roadrunner197069 said:
Nothings wrong with your pc you just expect to much.

Does your Vista machine also do things like this: "Or going through pictures, theres comes this loop sound like rrrrrr (?) and its all frozen, causing me to turn it off and on again."? Mine certainly don't. Perhaps your machine is experiencing the same problem?

You also asked "...lets here<sic> what the real problem is..." - I posted my thoughts in my original reply to the OP above.

Again, my apologies for my impoliteness.
August 7, 2008 12:21:04 PM

Hello there, thanks for all replies ^^
Ive swapped back to my old computer and been a bit busy so sorry for late reply to this. To the one saying that I expect to much, im not sure how that is possible to say? I mean, expecting my computer to not freeze after one hour of gametime or if I try to make it do two things at a same time is not asking much if you ask me hehe.

Anyways, I called Komplett (the ones I ordered my computer from) last monday to give them a yelling and ask for money back, after going a couple of rounds with the lady I was speaking with she asked if she could just make a quick call to the repair guy, as she didnt understand how it could come back to me from repair unfixed. Ten minutes of waiting time and one of the most humble support ladies ive ever heard came back to me.

She had figured out what was wrong. So appearantly the guy that built this machine had put a gfx card in my computer that is not working well together with my mobo. This was a known problem for them and they had stopped using those gfx cards and swapped to some other card, but the builder hadnt gotten that. Also the repair guy on my machine was useless and hadnt bothered to check it either so he just ran some mem tests and thought it was all fine. Even though I had mailed them and called them and explained what the problem was. My gfx card is arriving tomorrow, hoping this solves it.

Just saying this here incase others have the same problem, could be as easy as not compatible components :) 
August 9, 2008 9:45:12 PM

That's a nice way to say "defective components". I'm glad to hear you're getting it sorted out.
August 9, 2008 11:04:16 PM

Hehe, yeah. Well I got the new gfx card and it all works like a charm now. Im nice when I say im a tad irritated at Komplett for selling me a machine with components that doesnt match, but thats for another forum I guess and atm I am just happy its all working:) 

Thanks again for help!
!