moosish

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I finished putting together my computer last night (never actually booted it up). Today, I booted it up and it died maybe 15 seconds later, this happened twice. On the third boot there was initial power to everything (fans, etc) but almost immediately after everything shut off. This and simply no power being given has happened since.

I have checked the wires on my case's power switch and they appear to be fine and the PSU is recieving power from my outlet. I also re-connected the actual 2-pin connector for the case switch.

Any idea on what could be wrong? Thanks!

Did you connect the 4 pin CPU aux power cable? This is often overlooked. It's up near the CPU as a separate connector on the mobo.

Heatsink on tightly and power to the fan?

Any chance there is a short somewhere?

Power to video card?

Any beeps or error codes?

Try it with only power, cpu, video and 1 stick of RAM. Unhook all things un-needed for a test boot.

If all above does not help then build it outside of the case, barebones only(as mentioned above) and turn it on by shorting the power leads together on the mobo itself. This will rule out a case short and a bad power or reset switch.

And post your full system specs. Some MOBOs need a BIOS upgrade to run latest intel CPUs.

moosish

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I've tried everything other than the barebones boot but to no avail :(. I have a question about the shorts though. If I don't have any loose screws/screwdrivers etcetera I should be fine right? (wires positioned poorly won't cause a short?)

q6600
2 x EVGA 9800 GTX
4 gb G.Skill DDR2 800 SDRAM
OCZ 1010W PSU
XFX 780i Mobo (should be fine i'd think)

moosish

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Hate to do this but i'm really desperate. Bump! I've waited months to build this computer and i'm antsy! Thanks, again.

Have you tried booting with only 1 video card in there?

You 'should' be OK with the shorting but you are at a point where you may need to try building this thing outside the case barebones. At the very least try with one video card only and take it out and re-seat it carefully. Also take out the RAM and put back only 1 stick.

You should also reset the CMOS on general principles at this point.

1. Reset CMOS, try again. (instructions in motherboard manual)

2. Take out a video card and re-seat the remaining card.

3. Take out all but 1 stick RAM and re-seat it. If that stick does not boot PC try the other stick.

4. Unhook all drives and usb devices.

5. Rebuild whole thing barebones outside the case. This will rule out a case short and a bad power or reset switch and it will force an entire do over in case something unexpected is amiss.

You could have a dead component, perhaps a bad motherboard or faulty PSU. Or maybe something was overlooked. The best way to get to the bottom of that question quickly is the barebones setup.