AM2 and AM2+ CPU/Heatsink Problem

jv1993

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi,

I've been taking a computer class in school and built a computer earlier this year. My teacher told me there is no difference from AM2/AM2+ so I bought a CNPS 9500 (AM2) and an AMD Athlon x2 7750 BE (AM2+). I have a decent computer and noticed that my PC lags more than it should when I play Crysis. I went to overclock my CPU and found out I can only reach 3.1Ghz stable. It was weird cause a stock fan the 7750 came with could reach 3.2Ghz no problem but I spent $60 for a fan that can't do that. So I'm wondering if I should replace my heatsink or not. Will there be any big problems if I don't?

HD 4870 512mb
3.1Ghz Duo Core
4GB RAM
1TB HD
Asus M3A78 PRO

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Have you considered that you might have reached the limitations of your hardware combination??
Most cpu's have a "sweet spot",,which is the highest overclock that they can reach either on air or without no voltage change,of course adding more voltage will/might achieve the desired results but,will result in more heat and a shortened cpu life which of course will vary from cpu to cpu..:)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Also the Mobo and mem play into overclocks. If it's a cheapo Mobo you could have BIG Vdroop etc.

I also think any aftermarket HS comes with more than enough TIM paste. You only need a spot between a grain of rice and a small pea on any processor. Even a HOT i7 965 needs only that amount.

You also only have a 4870 GPU. Crysis is a HOG.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
It might be a good idea to remove the Zalman heatsink and clean the thermal compound off of both the cpu and heatsink with high purity rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter. Then re-apply some good TIM like Arctic Silver 5 (or similar) according to the directions on the website (grain of rice method works well for me). Then let it break in and see if you get better cooling. It sounds to me like you have too much tIM on the CPU and it is acting more like an insulator that and transfer compound.

-ouch1