Bong Idea?

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
So i was wondering if anyone had any clue if this idea may be more efficient at cooling; if adding multiple smaller bongs to the loop would increase the amount of heat able to be dissipated or not?

53950064.png

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
i'm thinking the throughput of, errrr, 'gas' would be so immense, that you probs wouldn't care after first use!

CaptainObvious

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
You have the cooling devices set up in parallel, so all you would be doing is increasing the volume of the burnt offerings, instead of increasing cooling efficiency.
To perhaps make it cooler, or at least more filtered, you should arrange the 3-holed, decorative flower vases in series with ice in each one.
Be prepared for a lung embolism from trying to achieve satisfactory vacuum and volume to be able to properly deny inhaling anything.
You might need to devise a high-pressure air/flame induction system to assist with the herbal holocaust.

LN2 might also help with cooling.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
the cooling can be improved for any bong by simply making it taller so how tall is your house? put pc out side and use drain pipe, u might have problems when it rains tho

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Never went the bong route before, but has anyone tried a taller pipe with more than 1 fan? Even an intake near the bottom and an exhaust at the top...

What about inserting a couple of copper screens for the water to disperse over on the way down so that your intake/exhaust can cool that...like wicking heat with a rudimentary external heatpipe solution?

watercoolingbong.jpg

jgoette

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

lol?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Methinks the 1972 usage of the word bong and the newer PC usage these days got confused. A BIG flashback has blessed us with some interesting posts.

That was fun.

PC Bongs really are neat but have many issues. Where is the 'Bong Guy' That says bongs are the way to go when you need him? Ohh Thats at:

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have considered the possibility of building and incorporating a cooling bong into my setup in the past, but since I usually go to a LAN about once every 4-6 weeks, it would be just one more thing to haul around and risk spilling. I think it would be a very cool idea if you had a PC that you didn't move (office-only) and built the pipe with clear acrylic.

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
The biggest problem I have with water cooling with bongs is the loss of coolant. If you were to somehow create a dual loop system with the cpu loop being closed and using a heat exchange to transfer heat to the loop that has the bong would probably be the best bet. That way you can use quick disconnect parts to make is portable and convertable to use a rad for lan parties. In my mind it would work something like this:

Loop1: Res-> Pump-> CPU-> GPU-> Heat Exchanger-> Res
Loop2: Pump-> Filter-> Heat Exchanger-> Bong-> Pump

That will allow for sub Ambient cooling (not much but some) temps and not have to worry about your primary loop clogging up with algea or bacteria. Plus the only extra beyond a normal water cooling rig is the bong, heat exchanger, filter, and a 2nd pump (i recommend a seriously powerful pump link a pond pump). Plus to get even better temps with a bong you need one that is at leat 4 feet tall with 2 fans pushing air into it, and a very fine misting (but not too fine cause it will plug up) shower head.

-ouch1

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Tommy Chong might like it. :bounce:

John Ashcroft might not like it. :fou:

I don't think the new Attorney General has made any judgments yet about computer case - waterpipe combinations.

Your idea is truly on the cutting edge. :eek:

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

Agreed! having a secondary loop is best. What a pain to make it all work, and adding chemicals to the bong water to keep growth down while you breath it in the same room. Love the taste and smell of bleach etc in my PC room, not thinking of the increased humidity. Humidity will increase to the point of staurtion where the water won't be cooled at all. Been done, good results with the drawbacks. Too much work over just buying a bigger rad and living in the ambient temp world.