Difference between these PSUs/suggestions?

mgammon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I'm going to be running a system with the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield
Radeon 4850
2 sticks ram, 1 HD, 1 CD/DVD rom
This motherboard (I think it's compatible :sweat: )

I've always used Antec for power supplies and had no problems at all, so I was looking at Antec Basiq 500W and Antec Earthwatts 430W. Will these do the job, and if so, which would you suggest? Or what power supplies of some other brand would you suggest (I'm not completely set on Antec, but I do like them)?

Noise doesn't matter to me as I'm in the same room as 2 other loud computers anyhow. My main concerns are:
1) Will it make my computer run?
2) Is it inexpensive (50 dollars or less; this is a budget computer/dissecting my old computer for parts deal)

I've tried reading up on all the fancy details of PSUs with amps and rails and whatnot, but apparently I'm too retarded and don't understand it all (and/or too lazy to take the time to learn it all :( ), so any help would be appreciated.

Also, what are some other good brands to look into?

Thanks!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
DOOOO ,,,,,,,,consider,,, at the very least an Intel P35 based chipset mobo,asus,msi,gigabyte come to mind,after all you should be going foreward not sideways,the p35 chipset offers some future proofing as it will support ,up to a point i suppose,45nm cpu's lower power ??,,anyhow ,that is one way of looking at it,and there are others...:>)

mgammon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
Hmmm...K, I can deal with $60 for the 500W earthwatts thing. I guess I'm going with that (unless someone has another suggestion for me to check out :) ), just wanted to make sure I was getting something that would make everything work alright. Thanks!

mgammon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
What's a delta unit? And I've never used PCBoost before and never heard anything about them; Are they gonna take my monies and run away or are they a decent hardware retailer? They have decent enough reviews on Pricewatch, but I could use a little more than just that before I buy something from them.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

I know, that's the psu that came with my Antec case.
I didn't feel comfortable with the fact that the Delta EA500D states 22A + 22A on the 12v rails and claims the same wattage as the Seasonic EA500 17A + 17A = 34amps
Antec could not provide proper verification that the "D" version is 34amps
I swapped-out the Antec psu for a Corair HX520 and use it as a back-up unit.