Windows 7 64 not recognizing network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

idest

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hi, I wondered if anyone had this problem with Windows 7. I have an internet connection, but it is not recognized by Windows. I have tried repeatedly to set up a wired network connection but it does not work. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

I'm having the same problem, I can't get the net with a wired connection or a wireless.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
We need a lot more information to help you out:

- Model of network card/chip?
- Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?
- Are you talking about wired or/and wireless connections?
- Are you connected to a router or directly to the modem?
- Is your network card/chip recognized under "Device Manager"?
- Did you verify your ethernet cable to be sure there is no damage, or that it's not bent?
- Did you configure an Ip adress yourself or you left it do that automatically?
- Did you installed the proper network drivers?
- Is there anything else that doesn't act normal?
- Did you used Spybot S&D to remove those pesky spywares that prevents the computer from connecting to the web?

Without anymore info your pretty much on your own...

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Looking at what has been written it seems that the problem is 64 bit Win 7 accessing the Internet over a Wired Connection.

Assuming that the network itself is working (another computer can access the internet over the network in question) try disabling any security software you may be running as some software loads up its own driver to co exist with the NIC driver creating all sorts of havoc. Follow the list provided by Mr Big to eliminate all those issues.

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
If you just installed Windows on a new PC, the chances are that you have just have to install the driver for the onboard network card. If you built this computer yourself, this driver will have been included on a disc from the motherboard manufacturer. If not, try identifying what network adapter is on your system and download the driver from a different internet connected computer, then install it on this one.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
You can see if you have the drivers by looking down in the bottom right hand corner of your main display, if you cant see the network connection symbol you do not have the drivers, but if the connection is saying it's not recognized by Windows you have a completely different issue, and it's possible that its not driver related...

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

I'm not too sure about that. When you first install windows and there is no driver, you will see the network symbol in the system tray as you normally do, but there will be a red X through it.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Never have I seen that network symbol until installing that driver.. Never the less if it's not there then the driver is defiantly not installed that's for sure....

If you have a look at some of the pictures on this link under Google images > screenshot's > no drivers installed.... you can see in the corner that there is no symbol unless it's under the arrow which is not normal not the network symbol. Maybe a more updated version released comes with it shown...?

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=windows+7+no+drivers&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1680&bih=989&prmd=ivnsfd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=uPleTo3DL872mAXqtZ0r&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA4Q_AUoAQ#q=windows+7+no+drivers&hl=en&safe=active&sa=X&tbm=isch&prmd=ivnsfd&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=76a5ff53296069be&biw=2016&bih=1186

PennyLife

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011

Yea, that could be very possible. I used Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1 for a build I did this weekend, and it did show up the way I described. Sorry idest, didn't mean to hijack the thread. It is yours again ;) .

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

Yea sorry, lol thats interesting, maybe its got to do with pro, Hp, Idk... but its good that I know this now...

idest65

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, and for asking for more information. I bought a wireless network adapter to see if the problem would be rectified with a wireless adapter.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (crap by the way) 64 Bit, and have had nothing but problems since installing and running it. I have rebuilt it over five times, and have given up reverting or rebuilding it, I just live with it's quirks. I have a dual boot Linux installed on another drive and it recognizes the network, and shows that I am connected. Windows 7 does not recognize the network, and says I am not connected wired or wireless. It is a problem with my service provider or their router/modem from Telus, as I did not have the same problem with Shaw cable, and my own router. They have tried to troubleshoot it with me, but they claim it is an unsupported issue.

So to provide you with more information:

Asus 802.11n Network Adapter for wireless and D-Link DGE-530T Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev.B) - both are recognized by the Device Manager and are working properly with updated drivers.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Both Wireless and Wired connections, and they are both not recognized but are working.

Connected to ADSL using router from Telus, Actiontec V1000H.

Network card/adapter chip is recognized.

Yes, cabling has been tested to see if it is an issue, but it is more of a Windows issue as it is happening to both Wireless and Wired connections.

I have tried to configure the network manually and automatically, still no joy in either situation.

Proper network drivers have been installed, and all have been updated.

Yes other issues are, it hangs for thirty seconds to many minutes when it shuts down. Sometimes doesn't at all, and I have to shut it off manually. Also, the Device Manager says that the Seagate DiscWizard Image Backup Archive Explorer is Unknown, even though it says it is working properly.

I have not used SpyBot S & D on this computer, as it gives too many false positives, and my level of expertise is not high enough to ascertain which ones to keep or get rid of when checking Windows.

Thanks for all your replies and assistance, sorry for the late reply, but I was waiting to see if the wireless adapter would fix the issue, and I had to wait for it to arrive.

Cheers,

idest

marincountyman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.