LoopyChicken

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Out of the blue my comp started having random lockups a few minutes after booting into vista. I had overclocked my ram and cpu previously (about a year ago, so all was working fine). After hours of lockups and trying to troubleshoot that, I decided to just load the default settings in my bios (which turned out to be a big mistake). So I restored the settings, saved, and booted into safe mode (vista having just had a lockup). I then shut down the computer, and turned it back on. Now it won't boot at all. Fans run, power appears to be working fine, but I never made it to my bios loading.. it just sits there, monitor off, with a black screen but with power running.

I tried unplugging the power supply, and the battery on the mobo for quite awhile, still receive the same problems.

Any suggestions?

THanks

LoopyChicken

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Ok.. I guess maybe my ram went bad or something? I removed 3x 1GB sticks of ram and booted with only 1 and all is working fine. I'm assuming that means 1+ of the sticks is not working properly and that I should replace it?

There's nothing in the bios that needs to be set for the comp to recognize 4GB is there?

Using Vista Ultimate 64

LoopyChicken

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
One stick had no errors, another stick had thousands of errors. The other two the computer won't boot at all with them in there to even run memtest.. so I'm guessing I either need to replace the 3... or just buy two new 2GB sticks?

TRENDING THREADS