AMD 64X2 5800+ opinions?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I'd say the better deal would be the 5600+ which is a Brisbane at 65W AND @2.9GHz. The BE would be a better OCer because of the unlocked multiplier, but if you use a 780G and 790FX, the FSB limit goes up to about 250MHz for dual core Brisbane.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
well, I assume this one would OC fairly well too...

I've always heard the low watt Brisbanes OC pretty good.

I guess the real question is, how much does the smaller Cache hold it back?
is AMDs estimated penealty accurate?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Strange.
The last bunch of OEM CPU's I bought all came with 90 day factory warranty.
The link you gave has no -posting date- so I wonder when they (AMD) changed things.

The good thing is that I have never needed to contact them over a warranty...unlike Asus MB's which all seem to die for me just after the warranty ends.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I'm glad to see that the Baron is back. I didn't see the 5000+ be CPU currently listed on newegg. I have one, it has been trouble free. I have mine oc'd to 3.2+. Groo is this for a new system or an upgrade on a current system? What MB do you have?

AMD has NO warranty on OEM processors if you buy from a retailer like Newegg. Call them. I did.

My AMD 4000 was 2 months old. AMD refused to allow me to RMA to their company when I called to ask for RMA. I was told by AMD support NO WARRANTY on AMD OEM processors PERIOD!!!! Newegg replaced my processor when I informed the company. At first, newegg gave me the AMD support number and told me to RMA through AMD. AMD REFUSED to RMA.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
every so often it seams like the 5k+BE shows up on newegg for a while, then disapears. maybe its finaly gone for good.

It would replace a 3600+ brisbane on an Abit NF-M2 nView, a 6150 with no phenom suport, but OCs fairly well. abit pretty much stopped suporting the mobo as soon as they came out with something newer, so I expect it will never have phenom suport.

ps. it is an OEM too, using an opteron 165 heatsink on it.

my initial plan was to keep it for another 6 months or so, then put together a new mobo and CPU (probably intel) but then I though, this CPU looks like a deal, and it might hold me about a year.

lots of different plans floating around in my head, just got to figure out which one makes the most sense and what I can convince the little lady to go for.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I think, if budget allows, you can hardly go wrong with that CPU, it would make a nice HTPC setup when coupled with 780G Motherboard.

uberlaff

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Just wanted to throw this out there... I just picked one of these up and it kicks my old X2 3600+ in the kiwi's. Nice upgrade if your motherboard won't allow you to go to a Phenom. I'm running an EVGA nForce 590 SLI with the P35 bios and they seem to be getting along fine so far...

I don't have any real benchmarks besides a Vista score of 5.4 and haven't tried to OC it yet.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It looks like this will be amds new dual-core flagship. Their roadmap suggests that they are phasing out the 90nm chips which actually takes off the 6000 and above cpus and makes the 5800 the new "king".