Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help! I can HEAR my monitor, mouse, and keyboard

Last response: in Components
July 12, 2008 8:49:16 AM

This is the strangest problem I have ever encountered. A few weeks back my speakers/headphones started making a constant buzzing noise. I can't remember exactly when this started, it may have been gradual. My problem is this:

Within the random noise I can hear what is happening on my screen. Scrolling pages, moving windows, drawing things, etc. all produce their own unique noises in my speakers. If I move my mouse I can hear a buzzing noise that gets louder depending on how fast I move the mouse. If I hold down a key on my keyboard, it makes a noise each time the letter repeats.

I suspect the problem is with my video card because if I make my cursor invisible and then move my mouse, I can no longer hear the movement.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :??: 
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2008 9:19:19 AM

Running an ati card are we ?
Related resources
July 12, 2008 9:25:04 AM

I guess I should have supplied some computer info:

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard (onboard audio)
Nvidia 8800 GTS
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2008 9:32:50 AM

I quick question b4 I leave for work........ kinda dumb too, but, Is the speaker jack plugged all the way in on the back of the computer ?
July 12, 2008 9:36:55 AM

Yep. I tried rotating and wiggling it too. It's an almost new motherboard so the connection fits very good.
July 12, 2008 10:00:12 AM

there might be some kind of problem with the jack of ur speaker.it hapens to me sumtimes and i just fix the audio jacks and the problem goes away....but am guesing u already tried that..huh??

check if ur chasing has a working earthing.......this is the only logical reason i can think of
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2008 10:06:57 AM

sarwar_r87 said:

check if ur chasing has a working earthing.......this is the only logical reason i can think of

You might want to check your English there :)  That makes no sense I can see.
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2008 10:09:54 AM

Earthing.... ground?

Chasing.... Case?

Hey I'm good :) 

So you mean "check to make sure your case has a working ground" that kinda makes sense.
July 12, 2008 10:45:39 AM

Might be the PSU. Either the ground is not working as well, or the PSU might be struggling to run everything, since you mention a 8800GTS which does require a good amount of voltage to run.
July 25, 2008 9:06:57 AM

Persondude2 said:
This is the strangest problem I have ever encountered. A few weeks back my speakers/headphones started making a constant buzzing noise. I can't remember exactly when this started, it may have been gradual. My problem is this:

Within the random noise I can hear what is happening on my screen. Scrolling pages, moving windows, drawing things, etc. all produce their own unique noises in my speakers. If I move my mouse I can hear a buzzing noise that gets louder depending on how fast I move the mouse. If I hold down a key on my keyboard, it makes a noise each time the letter repeats.

I suspect the problem is with my video card because if I make my cursor invisible and then move my mouse, I can no longer hear the movement.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :??: 

I've had a similar problem like this on my old dell with 4.1 speakers...
When I go on the internet and pages load or whatever the speakers if turned up a little bit make a "sorta" fast crackling noise when any internet activity happens. There is also a buzzing sorta when my cell phone rings. I have no clue what the actual problem is but I have fixed it thousands of times by adjusting the wires that connect to the 2 ports from my speak the sub connector and the outline. I have to keep those 2 wires sorta held up at an angle not touching any other wire from anything else and the sound usually goes away. It'll pop back from time to time if plug in a USB controller for madden but then I just have to move the wires and search the internet til I don't hear it anymore it's really annoying but maybe that helps you.
August 9, 2008 5:29:21 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for the help so far.

I'm still not completely sure what's causing the problem, and I've just noticed another symptom that makes no sense. If I have a window open on the screen with any animation in it, I can still hear the same noise when the window is minimized. But if I end the program while it is still minimized, the sound goes away.

It seems like my motherboard or CPU is creating some kind of interference that's being picked up in the sound card...
a b C Monitor
August 9, 2008 12:10:10 PM

Yes. I recall having problems just like that on much earlier systems.

I can see it being soundcard, MB, CPU, or GPU. No way to tell without swapping them out. Don't discount our friend Sarwar's advice based on his English. There might be a connection problem. Would not hurt to plug in a headset and see if it's still happening.
September 7, 2008 5:32:13 AM

Today I finally got around to opening up the case and testing some things. I swapped the PSU with one from another computer, but still had the problem. Then I put in a different video card and still had the problem. I disconnected every wire in the case, reseated the CPU and heatsink, and plugged everything back in, and still had the problem.

At this point, I think it must be the motherboard. I disabled onboard audio in BIOS, and the problem stopped, but I don't really know if that means anything. Disabling audio seems like it might stop the problem no matter what is causing it. I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard...
October 22, 2008 4:32:17 AM

I have the same problem on my DFI lanparty p45 t2rs with e6750 @ 3.4, 8GB ddr2 1000 8800gtx water cooled, I try a new sound card and did not go away!!
I had this problem on my ASUS p5n-e sli, but wasn't too bad but now is just ridiculous. HELP!
November 11, 2008 11:04:07 PM

Was this ever resolved? I have the exact same problem, it's driving me nuts.
November 12, 2008 12:06:06 AM

Like swifty pointed out, it must either be the ATI card, or the ATI chips heheh. sheeesh
November 12, 2008 12:08:59 AM

Its most likely current/interference, high freq noise. Bad shielding from somewheres, or high output noise

Check all your wires, check your speakers, magnets can cause this too. Try moving a few things around, like your monitor away from case, speakers in different positions etc
April 22, 2009 9:30:00 AM

Amazingly, I have my problem resolved by uninstall and reinstall Nvidia video card driver. I'm using 8800GT, driver ver 182.50 now.
April 22, 2009 8:29:43 PM

Didn't think it'd be an ATI issue as a couple of people suggested since none of the PCs mentioned had ATI graphics or chipsets.
September 28, 2010 11:12:59 AM

Similar insanely frustrating and seemingly unsolvable problem:

- strange, feint electrical noises coming from PSU, particularly when I use the keyboard or click and move the mouse
- Blue Screen of Death about once per day, with ID 41 and BCCode 7f, also get BSOD msg: STOP:0x0000001E.
- Have replaced motherboard, CPU, HDD, PSU, everything but the video card
- Have updated drivers and BIOS

Happened on XP, upgraded to Win 7, still happened, updated hardware, still happening. One would think the only thing left is the Vid Card, but PSU makes same noises even when I completely remove the vid card.

I'm intrigued by the 'earthing / grounding' comment, as there was a time when my PC wasn't grounded properly and had static in the box, hence tried new PSU. Going to try new vid card today, but can't see that it's going to solve the problems. One or two wires remain from my original build (power button wire for eg), they could be faulty?

This is just so insanely frustrating, I need this PC for work, why couldn't it just behave like a mac ?

Any help, MUCH appreciated
a b C Monitor
September 28, 2010 1:05:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!