ATI Catalyst Control Center SUCKS!!!

coroname

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I wanted a easy fast way to over clock my 4870. I tried to use the ATI Catalyst Control Center. Went to the overdrive and let it detect how much it should over clock etc.. It was almost all the way up with both of them but when I click Apply the screen starts going crazy. Black boxes are appearing over my desktop stuff just disappears. What the hell is going on here any ideas?

Thanks,

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
You need to OC by increasing one step at a time on the core, and test for stability then repeat. OCing the memory gives very little benefit, but should also be done in small increments and tested.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
The Overdrive auto-detect feature was way too optimistic in my case too. As said, slowly increase frequency until you find the sweet spot. Download ATI Tool and scan for artifacts after each increase. Keep an eye on the temperartures too.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Not so good for me either. If i run on the auto-detect settings the system becomes all but unusable. Likewise, the 'test settings' don't seem to work either. If it comes up as a fail a lot of the time the settings work perfectly! OC'ing the card(s) seems just to be a long (and almost) trial and error process.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I think what is also infuriating is the lack of fan control options. It starts at 20% ??? I don't always want to hear the fans on the card. I have GPU-Z open and even when the temps rise to 60 the fans don't even kick in. They stay at 2% spin rate. What if I want those fans on when I am gaming to keep my card temps down so I don't overheat everything else in the case?

You know what would be neat? To have 3 to 4 range sliders like flags on a color channel...from 0 to 100%.
Then you could adjust the fan speed ranges according to the temperatures reached.

I have also downloaded Rivatuner but that program is still a bit hard to use. Frustrating that I have to download something externally to control my card. Rediculous actually!