Best IDE hard drive connection for best performance

Hello. First posting.
Question is about getting the best hard drive performance using only a standard (read "old") motherboard having two IDE Ultra ATA100 motherboard connectors.
Background:
Will be using two (2) identical IDE Ultra ATA100, with 8mb ram, 7200 rpm. Drive 1 partitioned with small first-partition for OS. Drive 2 partitioned with small first partition only for page file.
QUESTION:
Is it better to use (A) a master/slave drive arrangement for these two drives, with one cable and only one of the motherboard IDE connectors, -or- (B) each drive set as master, one drive on one IDE motherboard connector, the other drive also set to master and singly connected to motherboard IDE connector. If (B), would use a separate IDE controller card (PCI) for CD drive used to load s/w. I might use the additional IDE controller card for a 3rd B-I-G hard drive for music and photo storage.

I know that separate drives for OS and pagefile is best, but never heard which connection philosophy is best. Cannot go to RAID card - too expensive in this case.
Thanks in advance -
Jack Woodward
1 answer Last reply
More about best hard drive connection performance
  1. Option (B) is better, so each HDD has all of its IDE channel available at all times. Putting additional optical or other drive(s) on a PCI card enhances this, although I do NOT know whether that consumes enough mobo and CPU resources to offset the advantage of singly-dedicated IDE channels. I would expect, however, that PCU and PCI resources are much faster than ATA100 data transfer speeds, so your plan should be optimal.

I always opt to put the pagefile on the non-boot drive. The boot drive gets used frequently for OS functions, and also often is the site for application software and their housekeeping files. So placing the pagefile on a different IDE channel reduces the frequency of incidents of waiting for one application to finish its task before another can proceed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Motherboards Storage