derekc

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I am running an old Asus TUV4X with Intel 700mhz, not overclocked. Have two 256 mb and one 128 of ram. ATI 128 mb video card. The system was running fine, then it started randomly restarting. Now I can't get past the Windows login screen. The system just halts now, doesn't restart anymore. It'll hang for a bit, then the screen will go blank and the on light will just flash. I have to power down and restart for it to reboot.

Checks I've done:

- tested each ram individually. Even ran a linux memory test and there doesn't appear to be problems.
- checked system temp and CPU runs at about 35-40 degrees and MB runs at 36 regularly.
- swapped video cards for an old 32 mb to see if that caused the problem.
- tried running a linux o/s to see if Windows was the problem. Halt still occured at some point.

I'm starting to think it's just the motherboard. And that I should just scrap the computer because it's pointless/costly to try to fix it.

Any thoughts, suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

As old as it is, you may have some leaking/bulging capacitors on the mobo or in the PSU. You can Google "bad capacitors" (or just go to http://www.badcaps.net) for illustrations, but usually it is pretty obvious.
Post a budget, intended use for the system, and parts you already have (e.g. monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc) and you'll get lots of suggestions on what to get for a new build.