Your question

Finally, ready to buy. Please comment

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 31, 2008 3:23:32 AM

This is the system I'm ready to put together. I would appreciate any criticisms and suggestions you might have. I'm concerned about the various components fitting in the case and working together.

It sounds like Newegg is a reliable source with good customer service. Should I look at other vendors? Have I missed anything?

I have:
Antec 900 case and 650w True Power Trio PS mod TP3-650
2 - WD Caviar SE16 sata300 500gb HDs

I plan to order:
Q9450 CPU Retail
ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
8GB CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - Retail
DIAMOND Viper Radeon HD 3870 512MB GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready - Retail
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N - OEM
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

I'm not limited by a budget but not interested in wasting $. If spending a little more will provide a noticeable improvement I'll do it. Also I want this system to be upgradeable.

My system will be a multitasking unit. My needs in order of priority are:
1. Converting, editing, rendering 35 years of photos (slide, print, digital) and video (film, VHS, various camera formats including some HD) and creating DVDs for my grandkids.
2. Media Center stuff including using a large 1080p TV, streaming video and music.
3. Gaming. I don't do much but would spend a little more to have a more capable system.
4. Surfing, and general purpose work (word processing, spreadsheets, scanning) while doing 1 and 2 above.

More about : finally ready buy comment

May 31, 2008 3:37:43 AM

8gb of rams seems like an overkill, but the choice of ddr800 is good. if you honestly have the little extra money to spend for the ram, go ahead.

the diamond hd3870 is an excellent card for 150 dollars at newegg.com right now, but they also have the msi one for 130 dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i believe this is the same design(ati refernce design) as the diamond hd3870, plus you get somekind of free game...

if you can wait a couple of weeks for the hd4850? more performance for supposedly 200 dollars.

rest looks good
May 31, 2008 11:01:45 AM

godless said:

the diamond hd3870 is an excellent card for 150 dollars at newegg.com right now, but they also have the msi one for 130 dollars
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i believe this is the same design(ati refernce design) as the diamond hd3870, plus you get somekind of free game...

if you can wait a couple of weeks for the hd4850? more performance for supposedly 200 dollars.

rest looks good

Thanks, I think I would use the VIVO on the Diamond card. I'll check with his but newegg doesn.t mention VIVO in the his specs.
!