Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

**POLL** Best PC Case Maker

Last response: in Components
Share

Who do you think makes the best PC cases?

Total: 134 votes (31 blank votes)

  • Antec
  • 26 %
  • Cooler Master
  • 19 %
  • Thermaltake
  • 12 %
  • Lian Li
  • 23 %
  • NZXT
  • 7 %
  • Silverstone
  • 9 %
  • Xclio
  • 1 %
  • Sunbeam
  • 0 %
  • Apevia
  • 0 %
  • Other
  • 6 %
July 12, 2008 11:36:27 PM

Just curious to see what company you all prefer when it comes time to buy another case. I'm partial to Antec, but I also like some Thermaltake cases. I don't like Lian Li, or Coolermaster... what do you all think?

More about : poll case maker

July 12, 2008 11:40:55 PM

It's hard to dispute against lian li due to their amazing build quality. Even if they don't have the best cooling initially, it's so easy to mod their cases top have top notch cooling. It comes at a price however, but seeing as that isn't mentioned in the poll, my vote goes to lian li.
July 12, 2008 11:43:32 PM

well i belive part of being the Best is being a good deal with price
Related resources
July 12, 2008 11:47:34 PM

CoolerMaster. All their cases use honeycomb mesh instead of solid plate, lets breeze through as if it's in open air. :p 
July 13, 2008 12:30:25 AM

Best is a relative term.

Best build quality? Best features? Best value? Best expandable? Best durability/reliability? Best looking?

I voted for Silverstone because the TJ-09 is a monster.
July 13, 2008 12:39:37 AM

StevieD said:
Best is a relative term.

Best build quality? Best features? Best value? Best expandable? Best durability/reliability? Best looking?

I voted for Silverstone because the TJ-09 is a monster.


Yes... all of the above. By best I mean the best all around case... for cooling, looks, build quality and price. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the poll.
July 13, 2008 12:40:00 AM

I voted antec because im in love with the 300 but and the p182 but i despise the 900 i think its ugly.
July 13, 2008 12:42:40 AM

wildben said:
Yes... all of the above. By best I mean the best all around case... for cooling, looks, build quality and price. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the poll.

Different people have different priorities. Some don't care about looks, other don't care about cooling. What are your priorities? :p 
July 13, 2008 12:44:46 AM

jpbg said:
I voted antec because im in love with the 300 but and the p182 but i despise the 900 i think its ugly.


I'm with you on that... I just bought the 300 last week and love it - it's simple and has no flash... but it has great airflow and durability. 900 was a bit too much for me with the window and lights, and all that plastic. 300 can be used for office, gaming, HTPC, whatever and doesn't look out of place anywhere.
July 13, 2008 12:46:36 AM

dagger said:
Different people have different priorities. Some don't care about looks, other don't care about cooling. What are your priorities? :p 


Haha, OK this is getting too complicated... just pick the best PC manufacturer, for whatever reason you think they should win ;) 
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 13, 2008 12:49:15 AM

Lian Li on quality.

I am partial to Antec on price/performance. Lets face it when Sonata came out there was not much else like it. It was one of the first cases with 120mm cooling and a good power supply that still works to this day.
July 13, 2008 12:51:18 AM

How much does price matter? The gap between some of those can be $200+ :p 
July 13, 2008 12:54:40 AM

dagger said:
How much does price matter? The gap between some of those can be $200+ :p 


Well, if you think the price is justified in the case, then it doesn't matter. Just balance out all the aspects and pick the best overall.
July 13, 2008 1:05:46 AM

I've always been fond of Lian-Li case, based on build quality. Antec is probably up there with price/performance but I'm an Lian-Li fan...they make some elegant enclosures.
July 13, 2008 1:11:12 AM

I'm partial to Lian Li and ThermalTake, they've gained my trust with superb products (although both have have their downs along the road), I know CoolerMaster does make great cases too, but they come third in my list
July 13, 2008 1:13:13 AM

SirCrono said:
I'm partial to Lian Li and ThermalTake, they've gained my trust with superb products (although both have have their downs along the road), I know CoolerMaster does make great cases too, but they come third in my list

They're all more expensive though. CoolerMaster is the only one that comes at the mainstream $50-80 range. :p 
July 13, 2008 1:15:54 AM

Antec it's customer service, innovation, quality, price. they have it all.
July 13, 2008 1:29:44 AM

Yeah, Antec does seem to be an all around winner in many instances, but the 900 is just ...what's the word I'm looking for? Hideous. "...for teenagers and disco fans" as someone recently put it.
July 13, 2008 1:32:34 AM

halcyon said:
Yeah, Antec does seem to be an all around winner in many instances, but the 900 is just ...what's the word I'm looking for? Hideous. "...for teenagers and disco fans" as someone recently put it.

Some people like hideous, just as you use that avatar. It really stands out. :na: 
July 13, 2008 2:17:26 AM

Yeah, I know, I know. I hear that 900 is good at cooling which is what I'm sure the teenagers and disco fans are buying it for...not the flashing lights and noise.
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 13, 2008 2:18:40 AM

I have a 900 just for the cooling. I cant care less about the window or led's. It sure does cool well even with the fans all on low.
July 13, 2008 2:20:37 AM

Stock cases are boring. Booyah!

Ok, not everyone has $999 for a paint job, but they do some damn fine work.
July 13, 2008 2:21:03 AM

halcyon said:
Yeah, I know, I know. I hear that 900 is good at cooling which is what I'm sure the teenagers and disco fans are buying it for...not the flashing lights and noise.


What do you think about the upcoming Antec 900 V2? Better or worse than the original 900?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=455628
July 13, 2008 2:26:23 AM

Well, its...its...well, it looks...well see, it looks... Damn. Its just ugly. ...but it looks like it will continue to cool well. Again, Lian-Li builds attractive looking cases to me...so the 900 is simply functional in comparison...which is what its designed to be. I don't think it was ever meant to be nice looking, and they succeeded in that.
July 13, 2008 2:35:58 AM

I do applaud those that get the Antec 900...suffering the lack of aesthetics and its added noise in favor of better cooling.

However, this does seem like a nice compromise: http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=... ...nice looking (to me), functional, and subdued.

...back on topic. My vote still goes to Lian-Li, I love most their prodicts, though they're expensive.
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 13, 2008 2:37:54 AM

wildben said:
No, count the drive bays... its a shorter 1200... not released yet.

So it is...

The larger vent hold should allow it to cool better.
July 13, 2008 2:42:27 AM

ANTEC IS WINNING?!?! I love Antec, I've owned 2 cases and 3 PSUs from then, but the ABSOLUTE best is Lian-Li. Silverstone is close behind with their older cases (TJ07 and older). The TJ09 is slightly below their normal quality, though on par with the third tier. The Third tier would have to be Cooler Master, Hiper (largely unknown but makes the Hiper Anubis and some cases for other companies such as the Raidmax Iceberg), and ANTEC. My requirements for these tiers:

Tier 1:
-High quality design (cooling, silence, and installation efficiency)
-High quality building materials (Aluminum, copper, and tools used in the construction process)
-High quality construction (welding, painting, sturdiness, and ability to fit most components)
-High quality service (returns, rebates, customer support, product endorsement, and quality control)
-High amount of value for the money.

^Lian-Li hits all of these with prices from $50-$700 and any of the cases in between share the same quality. Also, their cases are hand made and are easily modified with their own optional modifications for personalization. The ONLY single problem this company has is it's website can be some what frustrating, though if you submit a question to them they respond nearly instantly and are well informed with their answer(s). Before any one comments on the paint problems Lian-Li had, those were very rare and are now being closely monitored and fixed. This is the company I would go with HANDS DOWN if I had the money.

Tier 2:
-Suffers slightly in 2+ of the requirements for Tier 1 consistently.

^ Silverstone gets this one for their stubbornness about age old and very cooling and feature outdated cases costing the same they did on their individual launches, $300 for a case with 1 120mm fan in the front and 2 80 mm fans in the back is ridiculous. Also the cooling of Silverstone cases tend to be lacking for the price because of a very simple problem, lack of intake. Look at the TJ07 ABSOLUTELY NO intake for the motherboard area and the TJ09 has only 1 intake fan that tends to be underpowered because of crossing airflow. Regardless, Silverstone cases should be considered with Lian-Li cases, even if they are not the absolute best like Lian-Li they are still incredibly good. The other company I would go with if I had the money!

Tier 3:
-Generally lower quality materials (plastic, non-reinforced steel, and thinly supplied metals)
-Generally close minded approach to design (more fans = better cooling no matter what, or silence is more important than the life span of the computer components mentality)
-Pricing very consistently relates to hype, though are more often than not priced very well.
-General quality of these cases are very acceptable and are still a good choice.

Cooler Master is a prime example of the black and white design mentality (look at Stacker 830 VS Cosmos 1000). Hiper, because they make nearly Silverstone/Lian-Li quality cases, but fall prey to rookie mistakes that many companies run into when starting out in the computer case market it would seem. Antec is in this tier because of their materials used and their (now) terrible customer support, though their design is pretty decent (900) to great (P182). Tier 3 cases should be considered for the price value, or if you hate the looks of Tier 1/2 cases. I own the Antec 900, which I attribute to be in this tier, and I believe it is the most overrated case on the market, but IS still a great case.

Tier 4:
-Bad in a few to all of the requirements

Rosewill, In Win, Asus, and Sunbeam are just a few examples. Stay away, thats about it.

Note: Companies like Thermaltake, Raidmax, NZXT, Xclio, and Tagan tend to range from a high end Tier 3, almost tier 2 to a dismal tier 4 with Tagan actually hitting Tier 2 with the Pearl case (it is a slighty watered down Lian-Li case).

All this is generally my opinion, of course, but I also believe this is a pretty accurate representation. If you disagree with anything in here please state it and the reason why, DO NOT GIVE ME A NEGATIVE SCORE BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE! I will gladly discuss the points above and I am more than willing to edit should you provide a good argument.

Hope this helps!
July 13, 2008 2:43:10 AM

Antec, yeah!
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 13, 2008 2:43:27 AM

halcyon said:
I do applaud those that get the Antec 900...suffering the lack of aesthetics and its added noise in favor of better cooling.

However, this does seem like a nice compromise: http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=... ...nice looking (to me), functional, and subdued.

...back on topic. My vote still goes to Lian-Li, I love most their prodicts, though they're expensive.


Nice! at 2x the price it may not sell as well, i do like the easy hard drive mounting system, but it will cool less with so little ventilation(in the hard drive board).
July 13, 2008 2:53:49 AM

Its a compromise. My Lian-Li A70 surely doesn't cool as well as an Antec 900. I'd never argue that it does. ...but I'd rather have the A70 too. See, not only do my components have to live in the enclosure, I like to be able to easily work in/upgrade in the enclosure as well. I also like the ...lack of plastic in the Lian-Li line (but I know that's irrelevant to so many), just feels high quality. ...and I do care what my case looks like (forgive a man his quibbles)...nothing like folded, screwed, brushed, and blessed aluminum for me. :) 

An enclosure means so many different things to different enthusiasts.
July 13, 2008 3:10:28 AM

Ha, the PC-A70 comes close to the Antec and I would even say it ties and beats it in certain areas. It is bigger, for greater airflow and air movement, aluminum for greater guard against ambient room temperatures, and provides about the same airflow as the Antec 900 with the same fans installed. The only thing the Antec has over the A70 is negative pressure, better cooling, and the A70 is positive, slightly worse cooling but not nearly as dusty. Also add one of Lian-Li's top panels with 2-3 120mm fan emplacements and there is suddenly no question! Both are great, but the A70 is definitely worth the extra 120% price of the Antec 900, but they are both great cases in the end.
July 13, 2008 3:38:30 AM

CardDuct makes the best cases. They are my custom cardboard and duct tape cases. Cheap and they work until you spill a Steele Reserve onto the case.

On a serious note, in the under $100 price mark, Coolermaster makes the best overall it seems.
July 13, 2008 3:48:17 AM

nukemaster said:
Lian Li on quality.

I am partial to Antec on price/performance. Lets face it when Sonata came out there was not much else like it. It was one of the first cases with 120mm cooling and a good power supply that still works to this day.


My Sonata's still kickin! But the P4 in it is garbage... those things got way too hot :(  The P4 + 9800Pro combo really did well for a long time, though.

I like my new P182 a lot - way nicer than the Sonata, but it's a different sort of case. Great airflow, quiet and fairly subtle (aside from its size). It's a winner in my book. (I didn't like the SonataII that much... I think I was expecting them to make it twice as good for the second version).
July 13, 2008 4:15:06 AM

Antec all the way. I have built both of my PCs in antec. the first was...... I think the WP180(give or take a few #s) It was great for my p4+ 9600XT AIW. And I now have a 900 AND IT IS THE BEST CASE EVER... well I guess a cant say that but I love it. Great airflow it keeps my Phenom 9600 and 3870 cool. Lots of room for more stuff. I like how the PSU is at the bottom(Some would not like that because the 24 power might not reach) The dust is easy to clean in the case. A mobo tray would have been nice but its still great. just my 2 cents.
a b ) Power supply
July 13, 2008 4:27:27 AM

I'm usually a practical guy. I know that I could have had better cooling cases, but my vote still goes to Silverstone for the TJ09. I can't imagine owning anything else.
July 13, 2008 4:32:16 AM

Wow.... MY Antec 900 is a dust magnet, half the screws are cross-threaded from the factory, the cooling very much fluctuates on the ambient room temperatures, the acrylic window attracts scratches, and the paint job is thin and easy to scratch to the metal. NOT the best case ever, but a good budget case if you want good cooling. I can not believe the amount of votes for Antec, they do NOT make the best cases, not even close. They make great price/performance cases, but there are just so many that you can get that are better. To say Antec is the best case manufacturer is totally illogical, Antec never tried to be the best and most likely never will, they cater to the budget crowd and NOT the enthusiast crowd like Silverstone and Lian-Li. I am not trying to start a flame war, but it is absolutely amazing to me that so many Antec fanboys think it is ok to say that Antec is the best case manufacturer just because they tend to like their own! This equates to say "I own the antec 900/P190/P182P180/exct. and Antec is the absolute best case maker ever, because I have one of their cases!" It is not a question of which case you like best, but which manufacturer makes the BEST cases, regardless of everything except quality!
July 13, 2008 4:40:32 AM

lol
a c 78 ) Power supply
July 13, 2008 4:42:14 AM

zipz0p said:
My Sonata's still kickin! But the P4 in it is garbage... those things got way too hot :(  The P4 + 9800Pro combo really did well for a long time, though.

I like my new P182 a lot - way nicer than the Sonata, but it's a different sort of case. Great airflow, quiet and fairly subtle (aside from its size). It's a winner in my book. (I didn't like the SonataII that much... I think I was expecting them to make it twice as good for the second version).

The one thing that held me off the P180(182) was the large door. I actually keep my tower on the desk and the mouse is right in front of it(would have to move my mouse to open the door). The Sonata II actually did have slightly better airflow since the front is opened up a bit more.
July 13, 2008 4:43:53 AM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Wow.... MY Antec 900 is a dust magnet, half the screws are cross-threaded from the factory, the cooling very much fluctuates on the ambient room temperatures, the acrylic window attracts scratches, and the paint job is thin and easy to scratch to the metal. NOT the best case ever, but a good budget case if you want good cooling. I can not believe the amount of votes for Antec, they do NOT make the best cases, not even close. They make great price/performance cases, but there are just so many that you can get that are better. To say Antec is the best case manufacturer is totally illogical, Antec never tried to be the best and most likely never will, they cater to the budget crowd and NOT the enthusiast crowd like Silverstone and Lian-Li. I am not trying to start a flame war, but it is absolutely amazing to me that so many Antec fanboys think it is ok to say that Antec is the best case manufacturer just because they tend to like their own! This equates to say "I own the antec 900/P190/P182P180/exct. and Antec is the absolute best case maker ever, because I have one of their cases!" It is not a question of which case you like best, but which manufacturer makes the BEST cases, regardless of everything except quality!


Well price does play a role in the best case... even a "budget case" can still be the best from certain points of view. If a case is absolutely perfect, but costs $600 then not many would buy it... and I wouldn't exactly say it's the best - at least it wouldn't be the best for me. Does that make sense? So the best in my mind would be a case that has good cooling, good looks, all the features that I needed, built sturdy, and a reasonable price... and I think Antec generally has that covered - from the flashy 900 and 1200 for gamers, to the 300 and p182 that are versatile for any application whether gaming or office, etc.
July 13, 2008 4:53:47 AM

Antec gets my vote. I have built several computers using their cases. I have a 900 that is setup for rendering videos and it works great as for as cooling and very little noise.
July 13, 2008 1:14:59 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
Wow.... MY Antec 900 is a dust magnet, half the screws are cross-threaded from the factory, the cooling very much fluctuates on the ambient room temperatures, the acrylic window attracts scratches, and the paint job is thin and easy to scratch to the metal. NOT the best case ever, but a good budget case if you want good cooling. I can not believe the amount of votes for Antec, they do NOT make the best cases, not even close. They make great price/performance cases, but there are just so many that you can get that are better. To say Antec is the best case manufacturer is totally illogical, Antec never tried to be the best and most likely never will, they cater to the budget crowd and NOT the enthusiast crowd like Silverstone and Lian-Li. I am not trying to start a flame war, but it is absolutely amazing to me that so many Antec fanboys think it is ok to say that Antec is the best case manufacturer just because they tend to like their own! This equates to say "I own the antec 900/P190/P182P180/exct. and Antec is the absolute best case maker ever, because I have one of their cases!" It is not a question of which case you like best, but which manufacturer makes the BEST cases, regardless of everything except quality!


Its not that Antec makes the best cases its just that more people have them because they're at a lower price point. ...and people tend to like what the have...so lots of votes for Antec.
July 13, 2008 3:23:28 PM

^ That's my point halcyon, it seems extremely pretentious to me. I own an Antec 900 and yet I am not arrogant or naive enough to believe that Antec is the best case manufacturer in the world, that's just not true. Regardless of what the poll says, Lian-Li is the best computer case manufacturer, period.

Note: I think the Antec 900 V2 is ridiculous, it makes the 900 uglier than before and I thought the 900 was decent looking. Antec needs to stop with the plastic though, so it might actually be a step forward.
July 13, 2008 3:36:52 PM

But but but but... wat about plywood, oak, cedar, or rose wood, that you could just screw your MB to, so you can change the HSF out, without the hassle of taking the MB out of those exotic PC cases?

:oops: . o O(okay I still not over that HSF article from way back)
July 13, 2008 4:33:13 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
^ That's my point halcyon, it seems extremely pretentious to me. I own an Antec 900 and yet I am not arrogant or naive enough to believe that Antec is the best case manufacturer in the world, that's just not true. Regardless of what the poll says, Lian-Li is the best computer case manufacturer, period.

Note: I think the Antec 900 V2 is ridiculous, it makes the 900 uglier than before and I thought the 900 was decent looking. Antec needs to stop with the plastic though, so it might actually be a step forward.


Yeah, I'm waiting on Antec to make a version of the original 900 with no plastic. Have the huge top fan flush with the case and make it all metal, and with no window. I have the 300, and wish that they could just take the simple design of it and beef it up some more, but still keep it simple. Maybe Antec V3, haha. I think it would sell pretty well.
July 13, 2008 4:41:29 PM

Take an Antec 900 cut out the 200mm fan on top and slap 3 120mm fans on top then make a decent looking window to put on the side and market the case with all of Antec's superb Tricool fans so that you can buy one with green, red, or blue LED fans and then I will say the 900 is one of Antec's best!
July 13, 2008 6:21:17 PM

Well, the beauty of it all is that we have the choice nowadays. 15 years ago it was quite a different story.

As far as my beloved Lian-Li goes I think I might reward myself and spend $30 to get the vented top panel for my PC-A70.

As far as Antec we've got to remember that with where they are in the market making an all steel/aluminum chassis would mean less sales for them as it would drive up cost. How many general consumers would shell out $200+ for an all aluminum 900? Not I, that's for sure. They don't have enough of a reputation at that end of the spectrum for many and certainly not enough for me.

I wonder how many P-190 cases they sell and how those sales compare to their P-180/182 sales?? Why would I spend that kind of $$ on an Antec when I could have a Lian-Li, CoolerMaster, or something else nice, eh?

Antec make a nice general case at a decent price and a decent "gamer" oriented case for the "teenagers and disco fans". However, when I want a higher-end enclosure I'll look to those with a proven track record in that market...Lian-Li, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, etc., that make some really aesthetically pleasing and functional designs. Its nice to know that when a customer needs something economical or just functional they've got a lot of choices from Antec.
July 13, 2008 8:01:19 PM

The_Blood_Raven said:
^ That's my point halcyon, it seems extremely pretentious to me. I own an Antec 900 and yet I am not arrogant or naive enough to believe that Antec is the best case manufacturer in the world, that's just not true. Regardless of what the poll says, Lian-Li is the best computer case manufacturer, period.

Note: I think the Antec 900 V2 is ridiculous, it makes the 900 uglier than before and I thought the 900 was decent looking. Antec needs to stop with the plastic though, so it might actually be a step forward.


meh lian-li are good, I've used them a few times I love their cases, but they are simply too expensive, they are like the porche's of cases, definitely amazing, but you know.....I'll stick w/ my WRX/P182... ty very much...

plus the mountain mods cube case is the best, It can accommodate any build/multiple build within tthe same case, easily!!!
!