Sign in with
Your question

Pins Reversed on MB?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 4, 2008 3:48:55 AM

Hi all. Newb here with a question...

So I've gotten a new XFX nForce 780i SLI MB, and a Thermaltake Purepower 500W PSU. The MB has an 8-pin connector for CPU power, and the PSU has only the 4-pin P4 connector. I've read enough posts to figure that using the 4-pin connector should be OK as long as I plug it in in the proper direction. And that's where my question lies....

The pins on the MB indicate 1-4 are ground, and 5-8 are +12v. But the only way my P4 connector fits is if yellow & black (pins 3-4) on the PSU connector line up with black (pins 3-4) on the MB connector (pins 1-2 connect to 7-8). I've looked at 4-pin-to-8-pin adapters and they, too, would connect to my MB only if yellow plugs into black. Is this right? I don't want to short the MB out. I'm no electrician but I thought the whole point of colored wires was to connect the ones that match.

I appreciate any help.

More about : pins reversed

August 4, 2008 4:09:26 AM

You cant plug it in wrong unless you force it in. They are keyed to fit one way.
August 4, 2008 4:19:13 AM

no the point is not to match, so much as ...how would you tell wich wires were which on a ps or something else if they were all the same color.

Different colors on ps are for ppl that make them and read spec sheets...keyed connectors are for you ! Plug it in the way it fits. :) 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 4, 2008 4:40:17 AM

What are the components in your system? eg.CPU, ram, video card(s)...etc.
The reviews on this power supply really suck! It has on 14/15amps on each 12 volt rail...also seen a few reviews from customers that had them fail after a couple months on a low end computer....
If I were you I would send back that supply and get a decent supply say pc pwer and cooling, enermax. Alot of the high end supplies have the 8 pin connector plus 50amps available on the 12 volt rails.
hope this helps.
Here's one for around the same money but lots better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 4, 2008 5:40:40 AM

The Manual is printed wrong......just plug it in like the prong want too.....Mine was the same way
August 4, 2008 2:49:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. It's funny about the bad reviews -- I had seen some for a few other products which is what led me to Thermaltake! I'm going to try my luck with it since I'll probably need another one when I add a second video card anyway.

I figured the connector should work the way it fits but the manual is what scared me. Nice to have a litte piece of mind going forward.

Thanks again!

!