Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
A couple days ago I posted here talking about my new build. It's an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.6Ghz, 4Gb RAM DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT.

The box itself has 4 fans installed and until yesterday night, it worked flawlessly.

Now, this morning (here in Japan) I woke up, turned the computer on and this is what showed up:

Nvidia info

AI P5k-E bla bla bla

Detect Driver done. No any drive found

Checking NVRAM

Then the screen goes black with a line blinking on the top, and finally:

No Signal.

And it all repeats from the first step.

Uh????

ford505

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

is your pc detecting the hd?

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

It says no but the HDD LED blinks and actually every time I turn on the computer it says so and then goes to windows (except today).

Actually, yesterday night I did something to the HDD. I had another partition unformatted so I formatted it to NTFS or whatever it was like that, on fast mode. Then I did other stuff, some designs, bla bla bla, and then went to sleep. This morning when I turned on the computer it stopped working...

And I added mayonnaise and mustard, and besides the weird smell and the fact that it looks funky on the motherboard, it did nothing.

H4lp!!!.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
uhm i don't even know how to get to safe mode, lawl.

And if HD is the problem, could I reinstall windows, reformat the HDD and everything would be fine? I just installed a couple things (Adobe CS3 and 3DSMax) so I can reinstall everything again.

And wtf is going on with the not-so-funny replies!!?!??

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Sorry. Your noobishness is amusing tonight. I'll get serious.

Have you gone into BIOS to see if your HDD is properly detected there?
It's possible(though unlikely) that something got loose in your pc(SATA cable).
Should check that out.

If you do have a bad hard drive then it's usually not a good idea to reformat and continue using it, while that will allow you to use it again, this will keep on happening until one day it's 100% dead.

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I went to the BIOS and the HDD is properly detected. Well, at least it says SATA 1 has it connected. I don't really know how much info should show up, either, so I can't tell.
On the SATA 2 it tracks my DVD Driver too, so I guess it's working fine.

Maybe I messed up something when I formatted the D drive on Windows?..

If so, reinstalling windows or reformatting the D drive again via the windows install process could help?

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I definitely think you should reformat and try again. First sign of trouble again, format and RMA. It's possible something got messed up in the partitioning (not likely, but possible).

Mik2121

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Weird. I reformatted and it still says the

Detect drives done, not any drive found.

crap.

However, it goes up to Windows and it works fine.. What should I do?...

Try a different SATA/PATA port? check all cabling, make sure that the bios is in the right mode for your SATA ports, i.e. not RAID, is the HDD getting power? can you feel it when it spins up? Modular PSU cables?

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Try that, then RMA if it still does it