Solved

External HDD or 3.5 in a case

I want to get myself some external storage since I got tired of my millions DVDs spread all over my desk. I don't know very well what are my options, two comes to mind :
Either get a proper external HDD or get a 3.5 HDD external case and swap the HDD in that case.

The second option would be better IMO (it comes cheaper if I get more than one HDD), I wanted to know if there are any downside to a hdd case instead of a real external HDD.

That storage don't have to be connected 24/24, I won't be moving it all that much, it will most likely stand next to my DVDs stacks and I'll connect it only when I want to backup something, alimentation doesn't matter either (USB with/without power cord). However I need at least 1TB/drive.

If you have any suggestions (whatever solution or particular hdd/etc) feel free to propose!

Thanks!
2 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about external case
  1. Best answer
    If you back up stuff everyday, I'd install the back-up hard disk into the computer itself. If you do it semi-regularly, like bimonthly or something, then get an external hard drive.
  2. I'd install it if possible like r_manic suggest. Huge backups and really bog down through USB. In my personal experience it often fails. Otherwise if you have esata use that.

Mybe something like this. Fantom Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Cases External Hard Drive Storage Product