High Q6600 temps :(

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I have a G0 Q6600 that I'm planning on overclocking, but I'm a bit worried about the temps the processor gets to.

I have a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler on it, and without any OC, I'm getting idle temps of 35,34,31,32c and load temps of 50,49,46,46c (room temp 20c).

Those temps almost identical to what I got with the stock cooler. When I bump up the Q6600 to 3ghz, the load temps with prime95 easily reach 70c.

I've tried reapplying the thermal paste (AS5) in different ways, but haven't seen any real differences in the temps. My case is an NZXT Alpha

Any ideas on what I could try to improve the situation?
many thanks :)

tyler87

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I wouldn't saying being 10 C above ambient is THAT bad... Just reapply your thermal compound and try to seat the hs a little better. You wont really see a TON of improvement though.

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Check if the HSF base is absolutely flat, use a piece of glass to do so, if not, there you have your problem, not good contact with your cpu, not even the best thermal paste can fix that.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
jsc, I've tried to apply the AS5 in that way, as well as by applying a thin layer of it to the CPU, and just placing a small amount in the center.

I agree that ~30c idle temps aren't that terrible, but what worry me are the 70c load temps when OC'd

I suppose I could check the base for flatness, should i try lapping it if it isn't? I don't really want to lap the CPU though.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Idle temps mean nothing....

1) What is your CPU Voltage @ ?
2) Change the processor back to stock speed and Voltage... then run Prime95, what are your load temps?

***Not ALL processors OC well.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
The temps I listed in the first post are at stock speed and voltage
edit: according to CPU-Z, core voltage is at 1.120v

Tron87

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Whats your Ambient temp? Does your room get hot? I've got the same cooler on my Q6600 and I get to about 66-67C at 3.12ghz and 1.3V. I ran Prime95 for about 5 hours and only had tiny spikes up to 68C.

Is your NZTX good with airflow?

My stock Idle temps as like 38-42C and 60C load.

I like the stock fan. Don't see how replacing it is gonna inprove THAT much.

MyQ6600 at 3.6 GHz with TRUE/Scythe S-Flex SFF-21F and Antec 900 case under load runs 58 - 61 C.

The 1st gen C2D's and Q's came with a pretty good stock cooler. The 2nd gen C2 cooler looks the same but it's about half the size. I wouldn't try to push a Q6600 much above 3.0 GHz. with a stock cooler.

Another thing that makes a difference is the processor VID. Mine was about average (1.2625 volts).

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I have the G0 stepping with VID 1.2125v, also, I'm using the xigmatek htd-s1283 heatsink (I was talking about replacing the fan that comes with it), and the case has decent airflow.

Yet, when I OC to 3.0ghz, the temps reach 70c in a few minutes and possibly a few more degrees if I'd run prime95 for a longer time. Ambient temp is 20-22c.

Also, I get 3.0ghz without raising voltages. From what I've heard, the temps should be about 10c cooler, which is why I'm a little puzzled.

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I know it sounds stupid, but is the fan flowing in the right direction? I've seen more than one occasion where it isn't and caused similar problems. Other than that, could your chip be so warped that the heatsink isn't making full contact? When you pull up the heatsink, does it look evenly spread, the chip and heatsink have even coverage of the thermal paste?

If everything with the heatsink and chip are okay, then it has to be a case airflow issue. I'm not keen on NZXT as a whole, but it seems to me that the very averagel fans included (2 120mm per NewEgg) are not pushing enough airflow through that design. It looks like airflow is very limited, especially given what you're trying to do. I may be wrong, but that's the only other thing I can think of.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Heh yeah, i've got the fan on the right way.

Every time I've taken off the heatsink, the thermal paste seems to have been spread evenly.

Short of trying to hunt down a thin 120mm fan for a front intake on the NZXT Alpha, is there anything else I could do to improve airflow?
Can the mediocre airflow really be causing such high temps on the cpu?

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

There may well be another reason, but if we've eliminated the cooler and the heatsink, the only thing that I can think of is local airflow. Basically, if the CPU cooler is not getting enough fresh, cool air, it is simply recycling hot air. Now I have no doubt the NZXT case is capable with a stock system, but OC'ing is going to heat up other components besides just the CPU. Inevitably those warmer parts will need better ventilation. You can always try cleaning up some wiring if it's a mess, but at most you'll free up maybe 5c.

And I hope someone else has an idea and I'm wrong, I really do. But after everything else is checked, I think it's a matter of inadequate case airflow. An easy way to check is leave the side panel off, maybe direct a fan at everything, and see what your temps look like. If they plummet, it was the case, if they remain high... well, then I'm out of ideas.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Well, I'll try that, I have a massive fan somewhere in the garage I can point at the case :)

If airflow is the problem, do you have any recommendations for a case with better airflow? I've been looking for a new one anyway since fitting in an nvidia GTX series card will be tricky with the NZXT Alpha. The only limitation have is that the case has to be about as tall as the Alpha.

I've also been experimenting with undervolting the processor to reduce the temps... we'll see where that goes

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Well I'll be damned, I dropped down the volts to 1.1v, and the q6600 is running 3.0ghz at a cool 52c. I have my doubts about it being stable, running prime95 now.

Either 0.1v made an 18c difference or the auto setting in the bios bumped up the voltage to ridiculous amounts when OCd.

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

Every case has pros and cons, and it mostly comes down to what you ultimately can live with. I've got an Armor+ which has a variety of features at the cost of some noise volume, my wife has a Coolermaster Haf which has excellent airflow and is near silent at the cost of inhaling dust. But we're both on large PC cases. Cases like the Antec 900 has gotten rave reviews for quite a few people, as well as the knock-offs of that case. Generally speaking, for an air-cooled system, you want to have a case that has a consistent airflow with several fans and the ability to either add (or change out) the kinds of fans in there. The air has to have a logical progression through the case.

In your example, you've got a rear fan and side fan that are exactly the same size, so air basically gets traded between the two of them while ignoring everything else in the case. Ultimately, though, you'll want a case in your price range! Take a look at NewEgg, and see what you like. Or, check with some of the folks on the homebuilt systems forum here, and give them a price you can honestly live with--see what some of the top choices are from them.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
well, depends on how far you plan to push it. i get those temps on my dualcore, and its perfectly fine overclocked..
jsut try not to go over 70C and youll be good.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Thanks, I just found what was causing the temps though.

My asus p5q was apparently overvolting the processor when the voltages were on auto settings.

Now I have it running at 3.2ghz on 1.175v at 59c max load temps :)
I'll be trying to push it further when I get a case with better airflow I think

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Apparently, now I have everything set to the lowest voltage.
Didn't have this problem with my ABIT ip35 pro, so I wasn't expecting it.
PSU fried that poor board though