Questions and Assistance With Hard Drive Setup

imacomputer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Alright, so this will come off as a very noobish question mostly because it is, but as much as I like to tell myself I know about computers I would appreciate any help as Hard drive set ups are still something that I am reading into and researching and still find myself with less knowledge on the subject than I should have.

My current hard drives are 2x velociraptors 150g 1 500g internal 1 2tb internal. (I came up on a really good craigs list deal and now I have more Hard drives than I know what to do with)

My current operating system is windows xp 64

MY question is given the hard drives I have available what would be the most optimal set up for my OS, Gaming, Movies Music, Storage and Backups. (Im not expecting to use all of them, I just listed what I have avilable)

Ay help suggestions or comments would be appreciated, or if you know offhand any links where I can read more information on this subject that would be helpful to as I am currently looking and reading some ive found. However other input is definitely helpful :)

Thanks!

^ Going RAID 1 for OS is not at all suitable...
Generally people wouldn't have any sensitive data on the OS drive as they are more likely to get corrupted and reinstalling OS is a common task that many people do often...So going with data redundancy for OS drive is frankly useless...
RAID 1 is mainly for backup drives, where we store data...

That's a perfectly fine decision to make and I have no problem with it - my only concern is that the OP understand the tradeoffs and make an informed decision.

leo2kp

Distinguished
I'd like to point out that the Velociraptors were built for being in a RAID array. He has less chance of a drive failing due to the quality of the drive and other RAID-specific features. Sure he could lose his array if one died, but he has a 2TB backup. If anything, get another 2TB drive and RAID-1 that. Besides, having only 150GB for the OS, games and apps would pretty much suck.

imacomputer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
First off I want to say thanks for al the replies, you guys are great at helpin people like myself :)

So, from the input you guys have given me and what I have read I am looking at the two raptors in a raid 0 , the 2tb for storage music movies pictures and the 500gb as an external backup.

With that being said what partitions should I do on the raid 0, I have never personally used a raid, but after what I have read it is definitely a point of interest for me and something I would like to have in my build. What I had on just one of the raptors when it was installed was just OS games what not on the same partition.

Thanks again :)