proper method for backups

Hello,

I am having to set up a computer for a friend of mind and we are having
a disagreement on the proper method of backing up information on a hard
drive. His system has a Maxtor USB hard drive for backing up the hard
drive. He keeps saying he needs a complete system back. I point out that
if the entire system is backup on a schedule you are backing up problems
as you go. I told him the data is what needs to be backed up (along with
the original installation before the data was added. But I am not sure .
.. . what is the perferred method for backing up a system?

Thank you George

Both are preferred methods. The most important thing to do is to ensure you
keep a backup in an alternate location from the original. If the computer is
stolen, you have a major fire or some other calamity you should have your
backup elsewhere or risk losing everything.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

In article <1124218883.1f90c39648e19de81d83a99c1676cb8b@teranews>,
bythesea687502@yahoo.com says...
> Hello,
>
> I am having to set up a computer for a friend of mind and we are having
> a disagreement on the proper method of backing up information on a hard
> drive. His system has a Maxtor USB hard drive for backing up the hard
> drive. He keeps saying he needs a complete system back. I point out that
> if the entire system is backup on a schedule you are backing up problems
> as you go. I told him the data is what needs to be backed up (along with
> the original installation before the data was added. But I am not sure .
> . . what is the perferred method for backing up a system?

Boot from a Ghost Boot disk with USB support and image the machine to a
single file on the external USB drive. That's a perfect FULL SYSTEM
image of the computer. Restores to any drive of same data size or
larger.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:00:45 -0400, george2002 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having to set up a computer for a friend of mind and we are having
> a disagreement on the proper method of backing up information on a hard
> drive. His system has a Maxtor USB hard drive for backing up the hard
> drive. He keeps saying he needs a complete system back. I point out that
> if the entire system is backup on a schedule you are backing up problems
> as you go. I told him the data is what needs to be backed up (along with
> the original installation before the data was added. But I am not sure .
> . . what is the perferred method for backing up a system?
>
> Thank you George

As Harry states, both methods are preferred.

Just wanted to add that many of the programs that do a full system backup
are of course intended to restore the entire system. However, they very
often include tools to extract selected folders and files from a larger
backup file. Check the capabilities of the backup program that is in use.
If it allows selective restore, try a test folder filled with test files to
see how it works.

Your argument about perpetuating system problems should be looked at a
little closer.

When I set up a system, the first thing I do is make an image of that
partition. Then I add drivers, basic apps and updates and make another
image. These two "keeper" images get set aside. From there, I do backups on
a regular basis - weekly and before major changes works for me. Every once
in a while, I'll grab one of these subsequent images and add it to my two
"keeper" copies. This way I several backups available to fall back on and
at several different points in time. If the most recent image is fubar or
for dealing with a problem that may finally have erupted over some time, I
have a good variety to choose from to begin recovery.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Blair

"george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am having to set up a computer for a friend of mind and we are having
> a disagreement on the proper method of backing up information on a hard
> drive. His system has a Maxtor USB hard drive for backing up the hard
> drive. He keeps saying he needs a complete system back. I point out that
> if the entire system is backup on a schedule you are backing up problems
> as you go. I told him the data is what needs to be backed up (along with
> the original installation before the data was added. But I am not sure .
> . . what is the perferred method for backing up a system?
>
> Thank you George

Acronis True Image backs up the complete system which can then be
reinstalled on your PC but it also gives you the facility of restoring any
part such as your own data. etc.
It is easy to understand and easy to use
www.acronis.com

Blair