8Gb of 1066 Corsair memory on what motherboard ?

I have 4x2Gb Corsair 1066 (8500 Dominator) memory and my current motherboard (Asus P5K deluxe) seems to have problems using 4 sticks of memory even if I set it to 800 (6400).
I want to buy a new motherboard, is there a board that can run 4x2GB at 1066 memory and be stable? Please I really need help, just sending this message generated 2 resets.
27 answers Last reply
More about 1066 corsair memory motherboard
  1. There are a ton of boards that run 8GB of memory. Are you looking at Intel or AMD? Just check the latest ASUS, EVGA, or Gigabyte boards and you'll see that the majority will support 8GB.
  2. Try increasing the voltage to 2.0. Relax the timings.
    Run memtest86+ and check for errors.
  3. I am looking at Intel boards.
    The timings are relaxed 5.5.5.18 at 800 when Corsair has rated the ram to run 5.5.5.18 at 1066. The voltage I had to increase it to 2.20 to achieve about 30 min of stability :) .
    If I test the ram in combination of 2 sticks i get no errors if i test all 4 at the same time I get errors.
  4. Evongugg... memtest86 won't test that much ram. It's not a 64 bit application. =(
  5. Test one stick at a time cause two sticks already equal 4 gb and thats too much for memtest
  6. OP - 8GB at 1066 is a lot of stress for any memory controller. You may well be forced to settle for 800Mhz, and maybe tighten the timings.

Bottom line, tho - Probably the best place to ask for mobo's and settings would be the forum at Corsair. The 'Ramguy' has connections with Corsair's engineers, some of the forum denizens there are pretty good, too.

I have some fairly premium components (a DFI LanParty P35 T2R), and have 8GB running at DDR2 800, 4-4-4-12, on a mild~ish overclock (8 multi, 400FSB for 3.2Ghz), and according to OCZ, that's pretty close to the best one could reliably expect to achieve with the components I have.

Some things you can try:

MANUALLY set your voltages to the upper range for your RAM. MANUALLY set the timings. If you have a voltage drop control - enable it. Ensure the command rate is set to 2T, and that tRFC ("Refresh to activate delay") is 54 or greater.

If that doesn't work, you may need to raise the voltage to your FSB A Couple Steps, but no more. If you have to crank this up, go back and see what else could be at fault.
  7. I get no errors when testing with memtest86 (1 stick at a time).
    All works fine when using only 2 sticks, 4Gb.
  8. hm Never tryed 8gb : /
  9. I have GA-P35-DS3P and it runs 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair PC6400 memory overclocked to 900 MHZ at 2.1V and stock timings. No errors on prime 95 or memtest, never crashed.
  10. DFI LANPARTY X48 T2R... has been tested to run 8 gb at 1066mhz,fully stable.
  11. Have you increased the voltage to the northbridge? Set the RAM voltage to Corsairs max and bump up the NB voltage untill its stable.

I have the Rampage Formula (X48 Chipset) with 8 Gig of OCZ Platinum DDR2-1000, I had to increase the northbridge to get the memory stable. I run the RAM @1020.

Just as Scotteq said its hard on the Northbridge with 8 Gig. Plus you need to set the tRFC over 54.

Hope this helps.

1Haplo
  12. evongugg said:
    Try increasing the voltage to 2.0. Relax the timings.
    Run memtest86+ and check for errors.

FWIW, Memtest runs in DOS and will test 8gb of memory so don't worry about that. However, you are doing it correctly testing each module solo.

For running 4 modules, you don't need any extra memory voltage over the rated amount, either 2.1v or 2.2v depending on the revision. It's the memory controller voltage that you may need bump to manage 4 up.

Your P5K should do it with some voltage tweaking.
  13. My previous motherboard P5NE-SLI always had problems and errors running 8GB ram and a lot of boards that claim to support up to 8GB ram seem to have similar problems and hardly ever seem to work unless you mess around with the BIOS settings etc and usually a lot of trial and error (mostly error). I recently bought a GA-EP45-Extreme motherboard which supports up to 16GB ram and my 8GB crucial ram has worked faultlessly out of the box without any problems at all.
  14. I have an ASUS maximus formula se
    qx9650
    power & cooling sinencer 750
    kandalf lcs

I have the same problems running 8gb ram @ 1066.

I have tried: ALL are 4x2gb @1066

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (they said tested & verified to work fine on x38 chipset.)
    OCZ OCZ2P10664GK
    MUSHKIN 996599

I just had the board replaced due to it not supporting any 2gb modules in 1st 2 dimm slots but 1x4gb @1066 was fine.
    Now this new board runs all 4 2gb modules but only at 800mhz... it is very stable at 800mhz but trying to go to 1066mhz DOE NOT WORK, wont even start bios! oh, also it does run 2 2gb modules @1066mhz.

Another person said they had a MAXIMUS FORMULA II with (ich/10r chipset) & they ran 8gb @1066 fine.

question: is it just the ich/9r on the x38 the problem?? is the ich/10r on x48 more stable?

i ran tests & my results are: 8gb @800mhz is almost exactly the same as 4gb @1066mhz.. so am i stuck with ONLY 4gb??? HELP!
  15. Hello I have the same problems 4x2GB corsair runing at 8GB the memory is CM2X2048-8500C5D here my system

AMD 9850
    ECS 8200A Motherboard
    ECS 9800GTX+
    4X2GB Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D and F
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    600watts Rosewell RP600v2-S-SL

I have done everything I could do. volts at 2.40 on the memory even NB at 1.20 I even overvolted the CPU just to see. I even downclock the memory to 667 to 800 even 400
    plus put timming to whatever I could put it in.I even update BIOS even back down Bios.I tested vista memory tester to see if each 4GB kit haveing erros none for each kit but if I add 8GB it give me bluescreen sometime even it posted from Vista 64bit u "The file header checksum does not match the computered checksum" werid if I go back to 4GB and then loaded vista or windows then shut it down and drop in the other kit I get booted up while idleing trying to get loaded up sometime I get errors like corrupted host process file. I tested 86memory tester even the vista memory tester in 8GB I get errors no matter what. I even got lost into 0x00000225 errors registry key errors couldn't get into my OS I had to redo everything couldn't recover .I even took the last kit back because of bad memory I saw some werid stuff on call of duty4 game showing colors and weird artifact on screen I can't belivie memory errors didn't pick this up. so I took that kit back to newegg.the other kit didn't have that problems. so now I got another kit so I am haveing this problems trying to get 8GB going on this computer kinda work me down makeing me giveing up scream at something and get upset lol. oh no I got a headache. Thinking to take two kit back one with fans and one with out fans and tell corsair for a RMA for all of thes memory and tell them it doesn't boot in 8GB but I wouldn't have a computer over a month if rma really takes long time
    Just alittle mix up in the head thinking motherboard no it memory no it motherboard no it Bios. crap u know how that goes. can someone Help me?
  16. i can run 8gb at 1066mhz on my lanparty x48 UT t2r , but the timing is relaxed as quoted above , so i went for 800mhz and tightened up the timing , the performance is actually better imo and the northbridge doesnt need such a high voltage. ive come to the conclusion its the better choice
  17. Had the same issue somewhat with a intel MB and the same exact memory. I tested chip by chip no errors. Next I went slot by slot with each chip (yeah took a long time) turns out 2 of my memory slots were bad on the MB. Went and got 2-4 gb memory modules and the PC was stable.

All I can say is go slot by slot with each chip.
  18. Thanks for trying to save me. it does post in 8GB total of rams. all rams pass memory86 from each stick one by one but if u put one kit in dual channel the memory86 test hit to 48% and crash or restarted the computer. so I switch both slot of the memeory slot they both do the same things so I switched rams kit and see if the other memory ram kit are the samethings and they hit 48% and restarted the computer. but when I put all three memory rams in memory slot then it hit 7% and get stuck I waited for it to move like 1 day. it didn't go nowhere so I restarted the computer and try all 4 in unganged & ganged mode and they hit 5% and get stuck.
    (sigh) I don't know what to do i'm stuck. but lucky vista is runing in 4GB the one kit.wish I could get the other kit going.you think I have a bad memory slot? or memory?
  19. don't worry about it going to send all 4 of the rams back and see what happend nexts.I had to get a loan from a freind that have memorys truns out that my memory is buggy or something.so going to rma the memory. freind of mine have OCZ and they ar working good at 4GB in all 4 rams.
  20. I have to say wow corsair took my memory and RMA the two memory rams kit and it now came back I have no problems what so ever thanks goodnes and thank all of u that try helping.it working all 8GB if any of u have some werid problems all i have to say keep fighting till it sloved. :pt1cable:
  21. :cry: AMD and corsair = trash I gave up on corsair. goes bad in few months. OCZ and other memory is the way to go for AMD never again for corsair
  22. I have a similar 'problem' of sort relating to 8gb of installed RAM. Currently have an Intel DG33BU matx board with 4gb of Crucial DDR2 800, E6550 and an 8500GT card. Not for gaming but general use. Running Sabayonlinux 86_64 3.5 if that interest anyone.

If I install 8gb of DDR2 800, meaning occupy all four memory slots, the board will not boot. Am not talking about the OS but the board itself. This board does not have much in way of BIOS options. I have installed single stick and in pairs and as long as it is 4gb (or less), the board will boot just fine. But if all four slots are occupied (8gb) then it will not boot.

Just wondering if anyone here have any experience with the new nvidia 9400 chipset by Gigabyte, or any Intel chipset in an matx configuration, that supposedly does support 8gb of DDR2 800, meaning that the board will actually boot.

Roderick
  23. KK - Firstly, it's good forum manners to post your own thread, rather than resurrect someone else's.

Some things you can try:

MANUALLY set your voltages to the upper range for your RAM. MANUALLY set the timings. If you have a voltage drop control - enable it. Ensure the command rate is set to 2T, and that tRFC ("Refresh to activate delay" ) is 54 or greater.

If that doesn't work, you may need to raise the voltage to your FSB A Couple Steps, but no more. If you have to crank this up, go back and see what else could be at fault.

From Intel:

Quote:
    1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
    Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
    8 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 DIMMs
    Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
    Non-ECC DIMMs
    Serial Presence Detect
    DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
    DDR2 667 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
    DDR2 800 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33bu/sb/CS-026592.htm
  24. I agree with wacky7 - Corsair accounts for more than fifty percent of the RAM problems I address, and Kingston for another thirty...
  25. Scotteq said:
    KK - Firstly, it's good forum manners to post your own thread, rather than resurrect someone else's.

Some things you can try:

MANUALLY set your voltages to the upper range for your RAM. MANUALLY set the timings. If you have a voltage drop control - enable it. Ensure the command rate is set to 2T, and that tRFC ("Refresh to activate delay" ) is 54 or greater.

From Intel:

Quote:
    1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
    Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
    8 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 667 or DDR2 800 DIMMs
    Minimum total system memory: 512 MB
    Non-ECC DIMMs
    Serial Presence Detect
    DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs
    DDR2 667 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)
    DDR2 800 SIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg33bu/sb/CS-026592.htm

Thnx for your response.

Crucial is a subsidiary and with employee discount I purchased 3 kits (12gb) for two PC builds for the family. The kits I purchased: CT2KIT25664AA800, is not listed by Intel as 8gb bootable but Crucial was confident that the board would run 8gb despite what Intel said so I decided to take 'their' word for it. So right now am more interested in other chipsets that would boot 8gb without requiring the user to muck around the BIOS.
  26. roderickng said:
    Thnx for your response.

Crucial is a subsidiary and with employee discount I purchased 3 kits (12gb) for two PC builds for the family. The kits I purchased: CT2KIT25664AA800, is not listed by Intel as 8gb bootable but Crucial was confident that the board would run 8gb despite what Intel said so I decided to take 'their' word for it. So right now am more interested in other chipsets that would boot 8gb without requiring the user to muck around the BIOS.

might be alittle late but mabe recommend something for u for your rams

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232
  27. Since a lot of people seem to be wondering whether it's possible to run 8GB of DDR2 memory at 1066 MHz or higher on a P45 socket 775 board, yes it is possible. I will post my settings and specs since this thread is at the top of google search results for the benefit of other users:

MOBO: Asus P5Q Deluxe (Intel P45 Express Socket 775)
    Memory: GSKILL TRIDENT, EXTREME PERFORMANCE MEMORY, F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI (Rated @1100MHz)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9650

BIOS SETTINGS:
    =============
    Northbridge Voltage: 1.40V
    Northbridge GTL Ref: 0.600
    RAM Voltage: 1.96
    CPU Ratio: 9X429=3843 MHz
    Memory timings: 5-5-5-15-52
    RAM Frequency: 534MHz (1068 MHz)
    FSB-DRAM: 4:5

However, while my MOBO can run 2X2=4GB memory (2 sticks) at 1200 MHz, it is impossible to run 4 sticks of this specific memory (8GB) at or above 1130ish MHz (remember, my memory is rated at 1100MHz).

I tried setting NB voltage to 1.50V which is the absolute maximum for the P45 chips and Memory Voltage 2.3V, which again is considered the max safe voltage for DDR2 memory, and raising the tRFC to over 80 and still had no luck. In the processs, I got several different BSOD's:

1. Stop 07e: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
    2. Stop 01e: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
    3. Stop 03b: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
    4. Stop 07f: UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP

^^If you get some of these BSOD's, lower your memory overclock. My memory wasn't stable at 1134 MHz but ran just fine at 1068 MHz.

Hope this helps.

(The memory I am using is still available for sale so you will find it if you dig enough. I received it as RMA from GSKILL after one module of my four modules went bad. It is made in December 2012).
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Motherboards Corsair Product