Is there anything against flourinert

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Ok, so for about 6 months I have been hoarding cash and thinking about the perfect way to cool a computer. I want to do this so I can build a top of the line comp and see what I can pull out of it. What I was thinking is to submerg within flourinert the motherboard and gpus. Then through a complex set of peltiers blocks and radiators bring the flourinert to 40c or less. I have gone through the math and it should be easy enough to get temps 40c or lower.
My main question is does anyone have any huge reason as to why flourinert would not be a good medium for sustained use. This would become my gaming rig so I would expect heavy use not to mention the weeks of fun I would get benchmarking and overclocking:)
Also I have heard that temps under 60c can cause bios proplems. Anyone happen to know for certain if this is true or have evidence of it being false.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Many Submersed computers eventually become compromised because the capacitors absorb the liquid. Although most submersed system usually use an oil-based liquid for doing so. I can't say for sure if the same would happen with flourinert.

If submerging computers in flourinert is good enough for Cray Computers I imagine that it would be a worthy project for any self respecting computer enthusiast.

Good luck! Post picks through the different stages of the build and of the completed project.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I don't think temps under 60C cause problems. My PC processor idles at 25C and I'm sure my bioc chip etc is more like 22C.

It's when you get to -130C and more you can have boot problems, it's called a cold bug.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
-60c could affect the north bridge but not the cpu, as for useing tec's you will need alot of tec's to cool down to -40c as they get less efficient the colder they get, you might be better off building a custom phase change unit to cool the fluorinert.

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
To be honest I am very lost as to where to go building a phase change unit. There seems to be information on the basic concepts or a how to build, but it always leaves me wondering exactly how much it cools and what size compressor and expansion chamber would be needed. I did seriously think about going this route and still would consider doing so with all the information.

And yes it will take a lot of peltiers. 3 dedicated psu/12 pelt.

edit- Going with fc-770(flourinert) as its the only one I can find of decent quality in 3 gallon containers. Also its highly doubful of any pics, however in January when intel releases thier new cpu's there should be pics of temps... Maybe sooner if I decide to drop my current machine in it while I wait.

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Figured a soldered a copper box as the case for the computer. Its also very possible that would be put in another copper box to add insulation and also lower evaporation. I have also solved the problem of sealing where the cords leave the box.

The one thing i do have a problem with is finding a solid metal pump without rubber or ceramic rings. Figured that is the least of my problems though.

The feedback thats comming I am using as a sort of check list to make sure I have everything done that I possibly can. Little more then very anxious about spending 4k on a cooling system and only hoping it will work.

Here is a list of properties good and bad with short explination of solution, please add anything not considered or that is just wrong.

1. Non-conductive as long as not expossed to excessive plastic material. Everything possible will be copper.
2. Evaporates quickly. Seal and double seal the container.
3. Wont conduct heat as well as water. Submersing basic water block for the cpu and gpu. Adding heat spreaders for some items.
4. Here seems to be the big problem- Small air bubbles and hot spots. Hope that super chilled flourinert with 16 outlets from the pumps will be enough movement and pure cold to overcome hot spots.
5. Non-corrosive.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

6. Life insurance, Fire insurance, Long term cancer insurance
7. Can kill
8. You kidding?

justindadswell

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Ok, so decided to stick with flourinert/pelts. I learned a few things which I hope I have adjusted for and going to start this within the next month or two after some finalized plans. Probably will not be done until around January as I want to put in the newest parts as they come out so I can close the case and leave it closed for 6 months, cept for fill hole. If I remember I will bump this post up with an update as I get supplies. Right now I have a 1250W psu and 650W gpu psu along with one 350W psu and 10 pelts all sitting unused. Wish me luck and hope my project doesn't evaporate before my eyes...

My last project and third water cooling project was to fit a good cooling system within a single case. What I ended up with was a lian li with 12 HD bays on the bottom (2200 I think) configured with a total 1500W(way overkill) over two psu's running waterblocks for the ram, cpu, chipset, and both vid cards. There are three rads(2x3 fan and 1x2), pumps and two res's all inside the case. It keeps temps at basically 30c all the time, much lower and the high humidity starts to kick in. Got the intel Q6700 2.6x4 up to 4.06 and took the 4870's to I think 991/5000 without fragments. The ram took slightly better timings and frequency but nothing spectacular. I can go to about negative 50C on load with pelts on the cpu but it causes large ice formations (up to an 8th of an inch after 30-40 minutes), so I just use the rads. I was able to get better clocks with pelts, its just not worth destroying the computer. BTW if you buy used you can get peltiers to cool the entire pc below 0C for under $70, or you can get new from China for about $90(I got a 5 pack of 136W peltiers and 5 pack of 74W peltiers plus 350W psu all used for just about $68 with shipping included).

side note:
No mummy's please...(I just don't like them)