Speaking of Partitions.......

Last response: in Video Games
August 23, 2005 5:54:02 AM

Oh mercy, I might have screwed the pooch.

I created a partition on the larger drive to stash Windows
and program files. It happens to be assigned the letter "E".
It's working fine, but now how do I access the rest of
that HD?

More about : speaking partitions

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:59:24 AM

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Oh mercy, I might have screwed the pooch.
> I created a partition on the larger drive to stash Windows
> and program files. It happens to be assigned the letter "E".
> It's working fine, but now how do I access the rest of
> that HD?

make sure the rest of it is partitioned and that partition is formatted.
Windows ignores anything not formatted.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:05:04 AM

Hellmark wrote:
> Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
> his body were:
>> Oh mercy, I might have screwed the pooch.
>> I created a partition on the larger drive to stash Windows
>> and program files. It happens to be assigned the letter "E".
>> It's working fine, but now how do I access the rest of
>> that HD?
>
> make sure the rest of it is partitioned and that partition is
> formatted. Windows ignores anything not formatted.

Okay, I haven't learned enough evidently..........how do I
partition & format the remainder?

Am I going to have to trash what I've done and f-disk
the mother f***er?

August 23, 2005 9:05:05 AM

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
> Hellmark wrote:
>> Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>> his body were:
>>> Oh mercy, I might have screwed the pooch.
>>> I created a partition on the larger drive to stash Windows
>>> and program files. It happens to be assigned the letter "E".
>>> It's working fine, but now how do I access the rest of
>>> that HD?
>>
>> make sure the rest of it is partitioned and that partition is
>> formatted. Windows ignores anything not formatted.
>

> Okay, I haven't learned enough evidently..........how do I
> partition & format the remainder?
>
> Am I going to have to trash what I've done and f-disk
> the mother f***er?

Fdisk will allow you to create a partition in the unused area. You then
must format that partition separately, just be sure you know exactly how the
drive letter is assigned to it.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:19:25 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Okay, I haven't learned enough evidently..........how do I
> partition & format the remainder?
>
> Am I going to have to trash what I've done and f-disk
> the mother f***er?

No, thank mother god.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/

August 23, 2005 9:19:26 AM

> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> Okay, I haven't learned enough evidently..........how do I
>> partition & format the remainder?
>>
>> Am I going to have to trash what I've done and f-disk
>> the mother f***er?
>

> No, thank mother god.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/

Of course, this is after the fact, but I would have used the XP install disk
and formatted those drives with NTFS. It is so much less prone to
corruption in my experience than FAT 32, and has fewer limitations for large
file sizes (if you deal with very large files like movies, etc). But for me
NTFS is a much better system.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:13:54 AM

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>> Miracle Smith wrote:
>>> Okay, I haven't learned enough evidently..........how do I
>>> partition & format the remainder?
>>>
>>> Am I going to have to trash what I've done and f-disk
>>> the mother f***er?
>>

>> No, thank mother god.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/
>
> Of course, this is after the fact, but I would have used the XP
> install disk and formatted those drives with NTFS. It is so much
> less prone to corruption in my experience than FAT 32, and has fewer
> limitations for large file sizes (if you deal with very large files
> like movies, etc). But for me NTFS is a much better system.
>
> Quixote

Now see, here is where my reading this group all these years
has paid off- I remembered y'all talking about that and so I chose
NTFS. :D

But in reading more, the Disk Manager is going to ask me which
of the following three types I want:
Primary partition
Extended partition
Logical drive

I've learned that an Extended partition is only "a box" to hold
other partitions, so I don't want that. I want to simply take the rest
of that one hard drive and separate it for storage.
So, do I want a Logical drive or a Primary partition? I've been
Googling my ass off here..........

I *think* the Logical is for the OS, so my thinking is that I want
to choose "Primary". Do I? :o }

August 23, 2005 10:13:55 AM

> Quixote wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message

>>> No, thank mother god.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/
>>
>> Of course, this is after the fact, but I would have used the XP
>> install disk and formatted those drives with NTFS. It is so much
>> less prone to corruption in my experience than FAT 32, and has fewer
>> limitations for large file sizes (if you deal with very large files
>> like movies, etc). But for me NTFS is a much better system.
>>
>> Quixote
>

> Now see, here is where my reading this group all these years
> has paid off- I remembered y'all talking about that and so I chose
> NTFS. :D
>
> But in reading more, the Disk Manager is going to ask me which
> of the following three types I want:
> Primary partition
> Extended partition
> Logical drive
>
> I've learned that an Extended partition is only "a box" to hold
> other partitions, so I don't want that. I want to simply take the rest
> of that one hard drive and separate it for storage.
> So, do I want a Logical drive or a Primary partition? I've been
> Googling my ass off here..........
>
> I *think* the Logical is for the OS, so my thinking is that I want
> to choose "Primary". Do I? :o }

Your primary partition is what your active partition where you install your
OS, or boot partition. You then create an extended partition with the rest
of the space. Then create logical partitions within the extended partition.
Your primary partition will be C:, and the logical partitions (depending on
how many you create) will be D:, E:, F:, etc.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:02:48 AM

> Your primary partition is what your active partition where you
> install your OS, or boot partition. You then create an extended
> partition with the rest of the space. Then create logical partitions
> within the extended partition. Your primary partition will be C:, and
> the logical partitions (depending on how many you create) will be D:,
> E:, F:, etc.
> Quixote

Ah, if I do it that way, will it be easy to reinstall the OS if
needed? My understanding is that when doing so, you only
wipe out "C:", then reformat over it.

Holy mother- I can't believe I'm learning all of this.......

August 23, 2005 11:02:49 AM

>> Your primary partition is what your active partition where you
>> install your OS, or boot partition. You then create an extended
>> partition with the rest of the space. Then create logical partitions
>> within the extended partition. Your primary partition will be C:, and
>> the logical partitions (depending on how many you create) will be D:,
>> E:, F:, etc.
>> Quixote
>

> Ah, if I do it that way, will it be easy to reinstall the OS if
> needed? My understanding is that when doing so, you only
> wipe out "C:", then reformat over it.
>
> Holy mother- I can't believe I'm learning all of this.......

From my understanding, if you want to be able to wipe out the primary and
reformat it, you could run into trouble because it might designate the other
primary partition as the active partition. Perhaps what you want to do then
is create an extended partition and then a logical drive(s) to avoid future
problems. I have never messed with partitions much so my understanding is
without a lot of experience.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:05:22 AM

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote...
>> I think I found the answer:
>>
>> "Basic disk storage supports partition-oriented disks. A basic
>> disk is a physical disk that contains primary partitions, extended
>> partitions, or logical drives. Partitions and logical drives on basic
>> disks are also known as basic volumes. You can create up to four
>> primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended
>> partition, that contain logical drives."
>>
>> So yes, I want to create a second "Primary" partion on that drive.
>
> Yes, if you just wanted a second drive then this will work too. :^)
>
> Quixote

Wow. No chit?!?!?!?

Wow.

August 23, 2005 11:46:05 AM

Quixote wrote:
> From my understanding, if you want to be able to wipe out the primary
> and reformat it, you could run into trouble because it might
> designate the other primary partition as the active partition. Perhaps what you want to do then
> is create an extended partition and
> then a logical drive(s) to avoid future problems. I have never
> messed with partitions much so my understanding is without a lot of
> experience.

In reading more about this, as pertains specifically to WinXP, I can
make a new primary on the same physical drive with no troubles.
Windows in general seems fixated on placing the OS in a specific
place on the drive, so it doesn't look for the logical drive elsewhere.

Or something like that......

Say, using this Computer Management utility is smooth as a baby's
behind. Way easy, with lots of cool info. I'm formatting my new
partition as I type this. (Start/Run/compmgmt.msc/OK/ then choose
'disk management' from the list.)

Tomorrow I move my new big bad boy into the office and banish
my old stuff t the parts bin. Ross only wants my monitor- he's afeared
of the beast-with-two-drives-nearly-full. LOL

Oh, which brings me to another group question: One of the physical
drives in my oldster is full of simply stored graphics and pics, etc. No OS.

Can I slap it into the new one with no trouble, since it's formatted?
(Oh wait- I might not have a power plug for it.......)

--
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

August 23, 2005 11:46:06 AM

> Quixote wrote:
>> From my understanding, if you want to be able to wipe out the primary
>> and reformat it, you could run into trouble because it might
>> designate the other primary partition as the active partition. Perhaps
>> what you want to do then is create an extended partition and
>> then a logical drive(s) to avoid future problems. I have never
>> messed with partitions much so my understanding is without a lot of
>> experience.
>

> In reading more about this, as pertains specifically to WinXP, I can
> make a new primary on the same physical drive with no troubles.
> Windows in general seems fixated on placing the OS in a specific
> place on the drive, so it doesn't look for the logical drive elsewhere.
>
> Or something like that......
>
> Say, using this Computer Management utility is smooth as a baby's
> behind. Way easy, with lots of cool info. I'm formatting my new
> partition as I type this. (Start/Run/compmgmt.msc/OK/ then choose
> 'disk management' from the list.)
>
> Tomorrow I move my new big bad boy into the office and banish
> my old stuff t the parts bin. Ross only wants my monitor- he's afeared
> of the beast-with-two-drives-nearly-full. LOL
>
> Oh, which brings me to another group question: One of the physical
> drives in my oldster is full of simply stored graphics and pics, etc. No
> OS.
>
> Can I slap it into the new one with no trouble, since it's formatted?
> (Oh wait- I might not have a power plug for it.......)

Yes you can. You should have a plug available with all of the pass
throughs. If not you can purchase such a beast. Be sure though to go, yes
again, into bios and set the boot order to boot the first SATA device,
otherwise it is probably set now to boot first harddrive which will appear
to be the newly installed old drive on one of the IDE channel, instead of
the SATA only drives now installed. Actually your boot order should be
something like 1st floppy (if you ever boot into dos or any other floppy
system) 2nd cdrom and 3rd SATA. You can also use disk management to arrange
the lettering of the drives to suit your whim.

Quixote
August 23, 2005 12:19:32 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:36:23 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>> Miracle Smith wrote:
>>> Okay, I haven't learned enough evidently..........how do I
>>> partition & format the remainder?
>>>
>>> Am I going to have to trash what I've done and f-disk
>>> the mother f***er?
>>

>> No, thank mother god.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/
>
>Of course, this is after the fact, but I would have used the XP install disk
>and formatted those drives with NTFS. It is so much less prone to
>corruption in my experience than FAT 32, and has fewer limitations for large
>file sizes (if you deal with very large files like movies, etc). But for me
>NTFS is a much better system.

For you, and everyone else.

NTFS is just simply superior to FAT 16 or 32. And the only time anyone
should format in FAT is to retain interoperability between a modern
and a legacy OS.

Or when pulling the install down from a network. But during the
install, Windows XP will convert the file system on the fly.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 23, 2005 12:20:39 PM

On 23 Aug 2005 06:13:54 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

>Quixote wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message

>>> No, thank mother god.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/
>>
>> Of course, this is after the fact, but I would have used the XP
>> install disk and formatted those drives with NTFS. It is so much
>> less prone to corruption in my experience than FAT 32, and has fewer
>> limitations for large file sizes (if you deal with very large files
>> like movies, etc). But for me NTFS is a much better system.
>>
>> Quixote
>

> Now see, here is where my reading this group all these years
>has paid off- I remembered y'all talking about that and so I chose
>NTFS. :D
>
> But in reading more, the Disk Manager is going to ask me which
>of the following three types I want:
>Primary partition
>Extended partition
>Logical drive
>
> I've learned that an Extended partition is only "a box" to hold
>other partitions, so I don't want that. I want to simply take the rest
>of that one hard drive and separate it for storage.
> So, do I want a Logical drive or a Primary partition? I've been
>Googling my ass off here..........
>
> I *think* the Logical is for the OS, so my thinking is that I want
>to choose "Primary". Do I? :o }

I believe, without checking and off the top of my head, you can have
4 primary partitions in Windows XP. Go for it!

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 23, 2005 12:23:06 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:19:59 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>>> Your primary partition is what your active partition where you
>>> install your OS, or boot partition. You then create an extended
>>> partition with the rest of the space. Then create logical partitions
>>> within the extended partition. Your primary partition will be C:, and
>>> the logical partitions (depending on how many you create) will be D:,
>>> E:, F:, etc.
>>> Quixote
>>

>> Ah, if I do it that way, will it be easy to reinstall the OS if
>> needed? My understanding is that when doing so, you only
>> wipe out "C:", then reformat over it.
>>
>> Holy mother- I can't believe I'm learning all of this.......
>
>From my understanding, if you want to be able to wipe out the primary and
>reformat it, you could run into trouble because it might designate the other
>primary partition as the active partition. Perhaps what you want to do then
>is create an extended partition and then a logical drive(s) to avoid future
>problems. I have never messed with partitions much so my understanding is
>without a lot of experience.

Me either, Q. I like to use da whooooole thing. The only time I've
ever really partitioned anything is to mess with Linux and give it a
comfortable space to live in.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> NTFS is just simply superior to FAT 16 or 32. And the only time anyone
> should format in FAT is to retain interoperability between a modern
> and a legacy OS.

Or a modern OS and another modern OS.

Note that NTFS is a proprietary format, not documented for consumption by
competitors. Linux can only access it using reverse-engineered drivers or
by loading the Windows driver inside a Linux wrapper driver. MS sometimes
has great technology, and NTFS is a good example, but but MS ties it to
their other products to keep them from wedging their way into the market.
(Remember how they claimed Windows wouldn't work without IE?)
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:32:24 PM

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:430ac024_2
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> "Basic disk storage supports partition-oriented disks. A basic
> disk is a physical disk that contains primary partitions, extended
> partitions, or logical drives. Partitions and logical drives on basic
> disks are also known as basic volumes. You can create up to four
> primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended
> partition, that contain logical drives."
>
> So yes, I want to create a second "Primary" partion on that drive.

I was hoping Wikipedia would include a bit more history, but they do have
some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partition

Way back when HD's first appeared, MS DOS wasn't the only game in town,
and there were several alternatives. Booting multiple OS's was normal. So
they came up with the idea of allowing up to 4 OS's to coexist on the
same disk. The one that boots is the one marked "active". All other
physical partitions remain invisible to the active one.

To allow two OS's to share data, the rule arose to allow all OS's to
"see" the logical drives in an extended partition, but only their own
physical partition. So you would create/assign one physical partition for
each OS, and then an extended partition to hold the rest of the space.

Much later, around the time Windows came along (might be Win95, can't
remember if 3.1 could do it), the restriction of seeing only one physical
partition was lifted, and an OS could "unhide" the other physical
partitions. Until that point, it was rarely useful to have more than one
physical partition in a single-OS system, because the extra physical
partitions would be invisible.

Another issue with partitions is the order the letters are assigned in a
multi-drive system. Historically, the single active physical partition on
each physical drive gets lettered first, so with two drives, the first
physical partition on the 2nd drive becomes "D", and the first logical
drive on the first physical drive gets the next letter after all physical
partitions are assigned (with 2 drives, this would be "E"). My practice
was to never use physical partitions on 2nd and subsequent drives, to
keep the letters sane. (Unix doesn't use drive letters, so this isn't an
issue with Unix-like OS's.)
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:39:31 PM

Quixote wrote:
>> Ah, if I do it that way, will it be easy to reinstall the OS if
>>needed? My understanding is that when doing so, you only
>>wipe out "C:", then reformat over it.
>>
>> Holy mother- I can't believe I'm learning all of this.......
>

> From my understanding, if you want to be able to wipe out the primary and
> reformat it, you could run into trouble because it might designate the other
> primary partition as the active partition. Perhaps what you want to do then
> is create an extended partition and then a logical drive(s) to avoid future
> problems. I have never messed with partitions much so my understanding is
> without a lot of experience.

This is not a problem, because you typically don't remove the partition
when stuff hits the fan, but rather you reformat it. This means that
your active primary partition will remain your active primary partition,
even if you've formatted it and it does nothing.

Typical is either:
1 Primary Active for OS (do not make this too small because you think
you'll never need it)
1 Primary for data

Or:
1 Primary Active for OS
1 Extended
1 or more Logical partitions to house your stuff. With NTFS, you
don't want more than one partition for this.

--
Frank
Anonymous

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote...
>> Can I slap it into the new one with no trouble, since it's
>> formatted? (Oh wait- I might not have a power plug for it.......)
>>

> Yes you can. You should have a plug available with all of the pass
> throughs. If not you can purchase such a beast. Be sure though to
> go, yes again, into bios and set the boot order to boot the first
> SATA device, otherwise it is probably set now to boot first harddrive
> which will appear to be the newly installed old drive on one of the
> IDE channel, instead of the SATA only drives now installed. Actually
> your boot order should be something like 1st floppy (if you ever boot
> into dos or any other floppy system) 2nd cdrom and 3rd SATA. You can
> also use disk management to arrange the lettering of the drives to
> suit your whim.

Good point about the boot order- I was looking at that section
in the bios, marveling at it. I always wondered why I needed boot
disk(ette)s. Now I see *why* it's the first drive the computer looks
in.
I'm still not understanding why the computer put Windows on the
larger of the drives, since I *thought* I had it set as "1". But it turns
out it was set to "O" and the smaller drive was set to "1". I'll need to
study the SATA order a bit more before I understand it.

Since Ross is leary of swapping out his computer for mine, I'll have
that one to play with and get running like a aped ape. :D
It won't hurt to have one I can muck about with, and it's capable
enough to be a great computer, once it's fine-tuned. It has a 1.1GHz
processor, and a 128MB video card, and 512MB RAM.
And I also promised Ross I'd dig out my original beast box from
our closet and give it to charity. I find it highly amusing that back in
1998 I was *so* stoked to have a whole 2 gigs of storage. ROFL
Thee's a total (so far) of 120 gigs in this bad boy.

--
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

August 24, 2005 12:14:19 AM

Quixote's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>> Ah, if I do it that way, will it be easy to reinstall the OS if
>> needed? My understanding is that when doing so, you only
>> wipe out "C:", then reformat over it.
>> Holy mother- I can't believe I'm learning all of this.......
> From my understanding, if you want to be able to wipe out the primary and
> reformat it, you could run into trouble because it might designate the other
> primary partition as the active partition. Perhaps what you want to do then
> is create an extended partition and then a logical drive(s) to avoid future
> problems. I have never messed with partitions much so my understanding is
> without a lot of experience.

Yeah, it may do that, but its not hard to set which partition is the
active one. Any decent partitioning tool should allow for that when you
format partitions.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:47:14 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:
> This is not a problem, because you typically don't remove the
> partition when stuff hits the fan, but rather you reformat it. This
> means that your active primary partition will remain your active
> primary partition, even if you've formatted it and it does nothing.
>
> Typical is either:
> 1 Primary Active for OS (do not make this too small because you think
> you'll never need it)
> 1 Primary for data
>
> Or:
> 1 Primary Active for OS
> 1 Extended
> 1 or more Logical partitions to house your stuff. With NTFS, you
> don't want more than one partition for this.

<copied to my "build pc" folder> I made the Windows partition
15 gigs large, and it has filled up just over 11 gigs. What with all the
patches Windows needs continuously, I may end up redoing the
whole schmear.

--
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

August 24, 2005 12:48:36 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> <copied to my "build pc" folder> I made the Windows partition
> 15 gigs large, and it has filled up just over 11 gigs. What with all
> the patches Windows needs continuously, I may end up redoing the
> whole schmear.

No wait- that can't be right. I'm having a brain fart...........

August 24, 2005 1:11:16 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:430ac024_2
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> "Basic disk storage supports partition-oriented disks. A basic
>> disk is a physical disk that contains primary partitions, extended
>> partitions, or logical drives. Partitions and logical drives on basic
>> disks are also known as basic volumes. You can create up to four
>> primary partitions, or three primary partitions and one extended
>> partition, that contain logical drives."
>>
>> So yes, I want to create a second "Primary" partion on that
>> drive.
>
> I was hoping Wikipedia would include a bit more history, but they do
> have some info:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partition
>
> Way back when HD's first appeared, MS DOS wasn't the only game in
> town, and there were several alternatives. Booting multiple OS's was
> normal. So they came up with the idea of allowing up to 4 OS's to
> coexist on the same disk. The one that boots is the one marked
> "active". All other physical partitions remain invisible to the
> active one.
>
> To allow two OS's to share data, the rule arose to allow all OS's to
> "see" the logical drives in an extended partition, but only their own
> physical partition. So you would create/assign one physical partition
> for each OS, and then an extended partition to hold the rest of the
> space.
>
> Much later, around the time Windows came along (might be Win95, can't
> remember if 3.1 could do it), the restriction of seeing only one
> physical partition was lifted, and an OS could "unhide" the other
> physical partitions. Until that point, it was rarely useful to have
> more than one physical partition in a single-OS system, because the
> extra physical partitions would be invisible.
>
> Another issue with partitions is the order the letters are assigned
> in a multi-drive system. Historically, the single active physical
> partition on each physical drive gets lettered first, so with two
> drives, the first physical partition on the 2nd drive becomes "D",
> and the first logical drive on the first physical drive gets the next
> letter after all physical partitions are assigned (with 2 drives,
> this would be "E"). My practice was to never use physical partitions
> on 2nd and subsequent drives, to keep the letters sane. (Unix doesn't
> use drive letters, so this isn't an issue with Unix-like OS's.)

This is good stuff! <saved to folder>

I like assigning drive letters that *I* will later associate with their
contents. The second partition in the large drive I named "M:", because
it will hold all of "My" stuff to burn to a CD when filled. It's just over
60 gigs, so it will hold a lot of stuff!
I am bugged by the fact that Windows is NOT in "C:", but rather "E:".
But I just thought of a cool way to keep it straight in my mind- I will
store all my "Craft" patterns in there. It's a smaller 40 gig drive. And I
can always create other partitions if I need to.

(OMG I can't believe this is coming from *me*.) So here's my setup:

80 GB drive: 15 gigs = "E:"
65 gigs = "M:"

40 GB drive: 40 gigs = "C:"

Add in a little "2", and you'll get it...................ROFL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

August 24, 2005 4:13:42 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> And I also promised Ross I'd dig out my original beast box from
> our closet and give it to charity. I find it highly amusing that back in
> 1998 I was *so* stoked to have a whole 2 gigs of storage. ROFL
> Thee's a total (so far) of 120 gigs in this bad boy.

Tip: Remove the harddrive from the computer before giving it away, and
put it back in your closet. If they really really need the harddrive and
you know the charity, at least make sure you've formatted the thing.

This sounds obvious, but one rather important member of the Dutch
Justice department tossed out his computer one day. Someone took it,
checked the harddrive, found lots of criminal records and sensitive
information, and sold the computer to a Dutch tv guy who exposes crimes
and the lackluster approach to this from police (mostly things like
ignored investigations, fraud, etc). Made quite a ruckus on Dutch TV :)
--
Frank
August 24, 2005 4:13:43 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:13:42 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Miracle Smith wrote:
>> And I also promised Ross I'd dig out my original beast box from
>> our closet and give it to charity. I find it highly amusing that back in
>> 1998 I was *so* stoked to have a whole 2 gigs of storage. ROFL
>> Thee's a total (so far) of 120 gigs in this bad boy.
>
>Tip: Remove the harddrive from the computer before giving it away, and
>put it back in your closet. If they really really need the harddrive and
>you know the charity, at least make sure you've formatted the thing.
>
>This sounds obvious, but one rather important member of the Dutch
>Justice department tossed out his computer one day. Someone took it,
>checked the harddrive, found lots of criminal records and sensitive
>information, and sold the computer to a Dutch tv guy who exposes crimes
>and the lackluster approach to this from police (mostly things like
>ignored investigations, fraud, etc). Made quite a ruckus on Dutch TV :)

My brother manages a CompUSA in St. Louis. He had this one guy bring
in his PC wanting them to replace a failed video card and back up his
hard drive.

Pretty standard stuff, no? 'Cept this bastard had megs of child
pornography on his drive. My brother called the FBI. The agents that
arrived on scene asked my brother to show him the data.

He declined, stating that he saw stuff that would forever be burned
into his brain already. He told them to look for themselves. They said
they couldn't because it would be against the law for them to intrude.
But, since he had been given instruction to go into the drive, he
could legally do so. Now, if they were standing over his shoulder and
saw the contents, that would be specific enough for them to make a
seizure and issue legal action.

Now, if you had something as vile as kiddie porn on your PC would you
be dumb enough to take it in for service and specify your data be
backed up?!

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Frank van Schie's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body were:
> This sounds obvious, but one rather important member of the Dutch
> Justice department tossed out his computer one day. Someone took it,
> checked the harddrive, found lots of criminal records and sensitive
> information, and sold the computer to a Dutch tv guy who exposes crimes
> and the lackluster approach to this from police (mostly things like
> ignored investigations, fraud, etc). Made quite a ruckus on Dutch TV :)

Something like that happened here. Guy threw out his old pc, someone
picked it up, found all the guy's personal records and then sold that info
to the local news station who used it against him.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:13:44 AM

Smeghead's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> My brother manages a CompUSA in St. Louis. He had this one guy bring
> in his PC wanting them to replace a failed video card and back up his
> hard drive.

Which one? The one near 270 and Manchester? Bridgeton?

Eeeewwww.

> Now, if you had something as vile as kiddie porn on your PC would you
> be dumb enough to take it in for service and specify your data be
> backed up?!

People is stupid.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:59:16 AM

DEbig3's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> come talk to me when youve actually used the real implementation of it for
> an extended period of time.

I've used Windows 2000 since it came out, also messed with 2003, and fixed
numerous XP boxes. is that real enough?
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:14:26 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> And I also promised Ross I'd dig out my original beast box from
>> our closet and give it to charity. I find it highly amusing that
>> back in 1998 I was *so* stoked to have a whole 2 gigs of storage. ROFL Thee's a total (so far)
>> of 120 gigs in this bad boy.
>
> Tip: Remove the harddrive from the computer before giving it away, and
> put it back in your closet. If they really really need the harddrive
> and you know the charity, at least make sure you've formatted the
> thing.
> This sounds obvious, but one rather important member of the Dutch
> Justice department tossed out his computer one day. Someone took it,
> checked the harddrive, found lots of criminal records and sensitive
> information, and sold the computer to a Dutch tv guy who exposes
> crimes and the lackluster approach to this from police (mostly things
> like ignored investigations, fraud, etc). Made quite a ruckus on
> Dutch TV :)

LOL I bet it did!! Don't worry, I'm well aware that I should
keep the hard drive. There's been some horror stories in the news
here as well.

--
>^,,^< Miracle

August 24, 2005 11:17:56 AM

Smeghead wrote:
>> "Geekette"? LOL
>
> True Geekdom does not distinguish. A geek is a geek.

Think of the Smurfs, then look around in here- is there
another female? LOL

KIDDING! I don't want to be a geekette- it just
struck me funny. The comparison, I mean. :)

--
>^,,^< Miracle

August 24, 2005 11:19:24 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> My brother manages a CompUSA in St. Louis. He had this one guy bring
> in his PC wanting them to replace a failed video card and back up his
> hard drive.
>
> Pretty standard stuff, no? 'Cept this bastard had megs of child
> pornography on his drive. My brother called the FBI. The agents that
> arrived on scene asked my brother to show him the data.
>
> He declined, stating that he saw stuff that would forever be burned
> into his brain already. He told them to look for themselves. They said
> they couldn't because it would be against the law for them to intrude.
> But, since he had been given instruction to go into the drive, he
> could legally do so. Now, if they were standing over his shoulder and
> saw the contents, that would be specific enough for them to make a
> seizure and issue legal action.
>
> Now, if you had something as vile as kiddie porn on your PC would you
> be dumb enough to take it in for service and specify your data be
> backed up?!

No, but I'm real glad the creep was!!!!

--
>^,,^< Miracle

August 24, 2005 11:27:08 AM

On 24 Aug 2005 07:19:24 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> My brother manages a CompUSA in St. Louis. He had this one guy bring
>> in his PC wanting them to replace a failed video card and back up his
>> hard drive.
>>
>> Pretty standard stuff, no? 'Cept this bastard had megs of child
>> pornography on his drive. My brother called the FBI. The agents that
>> arrived on scene asked my brother to show him the data.
>>
>> He declined, stating that he saw stuff that would forever be burned
>> into his brain already. He told them to look for themselves. They said
>> they couldn't because it would be against the law for them to intrude.
>> But, since he had been given instruction to go into the drive, he
>> could legally do so. Now, if they were standing over his shoulder and
>> saw the contents, that would be specific enough for them to make a
>> seizure and issue legal action.
>>
>> Now, if you had something as vile as kiddie porn on your PC would you
>> be dumb enough to take it in for service and specify your data be
>> backed up?!
>

> No, but I'm real glad the creep was!!!!

There was an ironically funny part to the story, but I can't remember
the exact details. Something like he showed to pick it up and the FBI
was waiting for him and he wanted to know something that wouldn't even
cross my mind in a situation like that... Like if he was going to be
billed, or if they backed up his drive like he asked.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:07:19 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> I wasn't saying that most windows users were going to use them. I was just
> saying if you compare them objectively, NTFS isn't as reliable or
> efficient as its journaled competition.

Which "journaled competition"? Remember, this is Linux you're blathering on
about... there's more than one.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:430b8380_2
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> Good point about the boot order- I was looking at that section
> in the bios, marveling at it. I always wondered why I needed boot
> disk(ette)s. Now I see *why* it's the first drive the computer looks
> in.

Once you're done installing the OS, set the system to boot from HD first.
That way if you somehow end up with a floppy in the drive that has a virus
in the boot sector, you don't get infected. And you don't go for coffee
expecting the computer to boot and come back half an hour later with the
screen telling you that the floppy or CD has no OS and that you should
press a key to boot from the HD. (BTDT)
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:57:01 PM

> It stores data the way my mind does, in classic "tree" form, and
> I've
> got the system so firmly implanted in my mind now that I would not
> want to try and learn another file system at this stage. If I were
> still young, I'd be inclined to learn other systems, and choose from
> them. But I don't have the luxury of having all that free time to
> learn them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:59:12 PM

Mr K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:07:19 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
>> I wasn't saying that most windows users were going to use them. I was just
>> saying if you compare them objectively, NTFS isn't as reliable or
>> efficient as its journaled competition.
> Which "journaled competition"? Remember, this is Linux you're blathering on
> about... there's more than one.

No, I wasnt talking just about linux.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:21:23 PM

On 24 Aug 2005 07:22:30 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> <Passes popcorn to Dave>

Thanks, I needed something to cheer me up. My employers have been going
through a take-over... and our dept found out that we're being made
redundant in a month.

.... back to square one again. :/

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
August 24, 2005 10:21:24 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:21:23 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 24 Aug 2005 07:22:30 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>
>> <Passes popcorn to Dave>
>
>Thanks, I needed something to cheer me up. My employers have been going
>through a take-over... and our dept found out that we're being made
>redundant in a month.
>
>... back to square one again. :/

Same thing here. I'm currently on a 1 month project with the local
hospital helping with a new PC rollout.

Just once I'd like some job stability.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:34:07 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> Same thing here. I'm currently on a 1 month project with the local
> hospital helping with a new PC rollout.
>
> Just once I'd like some job stability.

It's a pisser. I was really hoping to pay a trip to Poland (for Auschwitz)
or Prague early next year.

But that, and other things, are going on hold. :(

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
August 24, 2005 10:43:30 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:43:29 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:34:07 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> Same thing here. I'm currently on a 1 month project with the local
>> hospital helping with a new PC rollout.
>>
>> Just once I'd like some job stability.
>
>It's a pisser. I was really hoping to pay a trip to Poland (for Auschwitz)
>or Prague early next year.
>
>But that, and other things, are going on hold. :(

Yeah, same here. My wife and I were going to go to Sleaford in
Lincolnshire to visit our daughter, then sprint down to Palermo,
Sicily for a week this summer.

My unstable line of profession has put the screeching breaks on that
plan.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:42:30 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Ext3 is a pretty simple-minded filesystem. ReiserFS is relatively new, so I
> haven't been brave enough to trust my data to it. It does have some nice
> properties regarding tiny files that make it good for storing registry-like
> data in separate files, and hence makes it good for storing Gnome settings.
> NFS has historically been buggy and unreliable. The need to be stateless
> makes it unsuitable for many applications.

Well, I've been using ReiserFS since Slackware 9.0 (iirc) defaulted my
home and root partitions to, several months (1 year even?) ago. Since
then, I've converted all my partitions to ReiserFS and have had no
problems yet.

In fact, I've had more problems with "automount" than I have with
ReiserFS.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:59:47 PM

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:430cb5a0$0$12904
$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

> Well, I've been using ReiserFS since Slackware 9.0 (iirc) defaulted my
> home and root partitions to, several months (1 year even?) ago. Since
> then, I've converted all my partitions to ReiserFS and have had no
> problems yet.
>
> In fact, I've had more problems with "automount" than I have with
> ReiserFS.

That's good to hear. What's available for backups? I use dump, which was
originally designed for UFS and then migrated to ext2 and ext3, and now
ext3 with extended attributes. It reads the raw disk using the ext2 library
and stores the structures of a partition, converting pointers to "tape"
offsets in the output file. It's also capable of writing to multiple files
(tapes) (which I find handy for backing up to another system's disk that
doesn't support large files) and it writes a catalog to make it easy to
locate a specific file to restore.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:07:12 PM

ScratchMonkey's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:430b8380_2
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>> Good point about the boot order- I was looking at that section
>> in the bios, marveling at it. I always wondered why I needed boot
>> disk(ette)s. Now I see *why* it's the first drive the computer looks
>> in.
> Once you're done installing the OS, set the system to boot from HD first.
> That way if you somehow end up with a floppy in the drive that has a virus
> in the boot sector, you don't get infected. And you don't go for coffee
> expecting the computer to boot and come back half an hour later with the
> screen telling you that the floppy or CD has no OS and that you should
> press a key to boot from the HD. (BTDT)

Typically, if the drive has no OS on it, the BIOS will skip that drive and
hit the next one on the list.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:20:52 PM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:59:12 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> No, I wasnt talking just about linux.

I seem to remember you shifting goalposts in a previous computers/OS
debate, so... whatever.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:29:12 PM

Mr K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:42:30 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Well, I've been using ReiserFS since Slackware 9.0 (iirc) defaulted my
> home and root partitions to, several months (1 year even?) ago. Since
> then, I've converted all my partitions to ReiserFS and have had no
> problems yet.
> In fact, I've had more problems with "automount" than I have with
> ReiserFS.

Thats the same situation I've had. ReiserFS, no problems, automount,
finicky.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:29:12 PM

ScratchMonkey's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Ext3 is a pretty simple-minded filesystem. ReiserFS is relatively new, so I
> haven't been brave enough to trust my data to it. It does have some nice
> properties regarding tiny files that make it good for storing registry-like
> data in separate files, and hence makes it good for storing Gnome settings.
> NFS has historically been buggy and unreliable. The need to be stateless
> makes it unsuitable for many applications.

I've used ReiserFS but not Reiser4. ReiserFS (the 3.x version line) seems
to be pretty stable doesn't really fragment and pretty quick. I've had
this system running ReiserFS for the last year. An NTFS partition of mine
in the same amount of time fragmented to ~38%, where as the ReiserFS one
has ~1%.

As far as NFS, I've only used that in limited usage on other machines.
Seemed ok for datastorage.

There are now some addons for windows to allow full Ext2/3 support, which
that ought to make things interesting.
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:16:51 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:08:17 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> That's good to hear.

:)

> What's available for backups?

K3B :)

> I use dump, which was originally designed for UFS and then migrated to
> ext2 and ext3, and now ext3 with extended attributes. It reads the raw
> disk using the ext2 library and stores the structures of a partition,
> converting pointers to "tape" offsets in the output file. It's also
> capable of writing to multiple files (tapes) (which I find handy for
> backing up to another system's disk that doesn't support large files)
> and it writes a catalog to make it easy to locate a specific file to
> restore.

Oh, official-like backups. I've no idea on that.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 1:07:29 AM

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:59:12 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> Just from personal experience.
>
> For feature comparison, this is a decent look -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems
>
> This shows some of the differences in the unix and windows mentalities on
> partitions -
> http://tr.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collecti...

I guess you missed the "links to benchmarks" and "hard numbers to
convince" comments.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:59:11 AM

Mr K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:59:12 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
>> Just from personal experience.
> I guess you missed the "links to benchmarks" and "hard numbers to
> convince" comments.

Like I said, I just know from my personal experience how things seem.
!