possible to add SATA drivers after installing XP?

Ragnar57

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I have built a new system using an ASUS m4n78 pro MotherBoard and a SATA HD and optical drive. Windows XP SP2 installed fine without a hitch (I thought). I also have 2 hdd's from my last system that I was planning to connect after installing xp on the new SATA drive.; intending to migrate the info on them to the new drive.

Now when I try to add the old IDE HDD's the system goes to a screen (during post) asking what type of drivers I wish to extract to a floppy. These are 32bit or 64bit xp or vista raid or ahci drivers.

I stopped there and removed the drives from the system and rebooted into windows where I find that I have no SATA drives listed in device manager and a ? on a pci device.

How should I proceed?

Try to load the drivers from device manager (from the pci device with the ? on it, must be the SATA controller) from the MoBo dvd?

Use f6 with the windows disk and install that way ?(wouldn't this wipe out the current install though?)

Install the drivers from the prompt I get during post when the old ide drives are connected?

Or is there a better way? And since I am not using RAID but my SATA drives are not connected to ports that can utilize ahcpi on the MoBo, should I load the SATA RAID or the SATA AHCI drivers?

Yes I am lost, even after much searching of the materials provided by ASUS and the rest of the internet. I would appreciate any advice.

Ragnar57

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I discovered the answer (in this case). I found a floppy drive from an old computer (Case) that was in storage and hooked it up. I used the utility on the ASUS MoBo dvd to make a driver disk. I used the RAID drivers. I restarted the system with the windows disk in the DVD drive and hit F6 when prompted. I followed the prompts and went on to "repair" the windows installation. When rebooted both ide and sata drives were recognized and I am now migrating the data onto the SATA drive.