PCI Express x1 sound card????????

bctaaka

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
Was thinking about doing something with my empty pci-e x1 slots ....know a bunch of us have them....and was wondering if there are any good sound cards for this slot?

If so in yalls opinion whats the best one for the $$$$$ ?

on another note.... :pt1cable:

know any other good hardware for pci-e x1 slots? or are these useless?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
nah there kind of useless right now, i think there might 1 x-Fi card whihc can use it i cant remember, also i think there are some NIC that use it.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
2nd Camikazi, I would also say that you can get ALOT of RAID controllers on PCI-e these days (i own Adaptec 3805 thats on 4xPCI-e) i think ive also seen a network card or 2 (server type) that utilise PCI-e

bctaaka

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
damn those are some expensive a$$ sound cards....have the realtek hd audio codec on my gigabyte mobo already connected to some bose speakers so they sound pretty f'in good

that being sad : is there that big of a difference between a sound card and the hd audio codec ? quality and performance wise?

Thanks for the responses and kicking some knowledge @ me guys :)

bctaaka

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
well i take it from your x-fi FATAL1TY card that you are quietly implying yes.

But did you mainly get it for extreme gaming purposes,audio editing, or what?
as I just don't really see the point in spending $200 for a new sound card and by no means am an audiophile

my sound is fine and i could use that money to get a 4850 or other multiple upgrades