Wireless NAS - does it still exist?

eidolon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I'm looking for a class of device which may no longer exist. A NAS box with wireless capabilities. I want to place the NAS box into a location that is difficult to cable (hence the wireless) and small (so no converted PC).

I know that wireless will not approach UTP for throughput- this isn't a problem as I am not bothered by transfer speeds.

My requirements:
- Wireless built in (or easily added via a USB adaptor)
- 2 drive bays
- RAID 1
- Ability to spin down disks after inactivity

Does anything like this exist? The closest I have managed to find is the Thecus N299, but apparently getting hold of wireless adaptors that work with the device is very difficult.

Thanks.

eidolon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I am looking for wireless because running wires to the location isn't going to work- I'd have to run cable across my living room floor and across doorways. I don't want to store the NAS any closer to my router as this will be in my small living room, where noise will be a problem.

I am fine with 11b/g speeds for data access (copying movies, loading word docs or photos). So performance isn't a concern for me.

I don't think that reliability is going to be an issue- I'm not aware of wireless being a big risk for introducing corruption into files (guess I'll look up how SMB works though). If the connection goes down occasionally, that's no big deal to me.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I think with the insane costs of NAS, you could assemble a pretty cheap Atom box. With an atom box you could avoid the hassle of finding which network adapter works and you could pack in as many features as you want.

Just a thought...

TRENDING THREADS