Sign in with
Your question

Can I move a RAID 0 array from 680i to P45?

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2009 3:09:20 AM

Simple question. I have two 2TB RAID 0 arrays on my failing 680i SLi motherboard. I am switching the motherboard to P45 seeing as I have 4 monitors and can't use SLi anyway. But what happens to the 4TB of data which I have no way of transferring anywhere?

Thank you.
September 16, 2009 6:46:05 AM

I have the same problem mate!

I had my IN9 32-Max WiFi failing, it had the Nvidia 680i chipset. I had set a raid set of NVIDIA STRIPED RAID, I fear I will loose my data. My concern is..if I move to another mobo with at least another Nvidia chipset (maybe a newer chip like 750i) will these read the data or it's still a hopeless case?

I think moving from Nvidia chipset to P45 will certainly not work :S

Please let us know. THANKS!
September 16, 2009 10:39:23 AM

Hello, mate.

It's nice to know there is someone out there with the same problem.

I, too, have heard that cross-chipset RAID 0 migration is not possible.

I have bought an external 1.5TB drive to which I will attempt to transfer the arrays piece by piece, but I'm not sure where to dump the data each time with only one computer.

Hope someone comes by and gives me another method.

Thanks again.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 16, 2009 11:33:53 AM

You say you have 4TB of data...so all of your drives are full??

Typically moving from one chipset to another warrants a Windows reinstall and I don't see this as being any different. As far as I know, your only option is to back it all up somewhere and start over from scratch. You might have to bite the bullet and buy a 2TB single drive to be used as a backup.

Back up your storage array, wipe it and use that as your boot-disk on your new motherboard (assuming one of them has your OS), reinstall Windows, temporarily move your storage drive data to the new OS drive, wipe the backup drive, back up your old OS array (do the OS drive last so you can boot in to Windows and access your data), move it to the new board, format and transfer the storage files from your OS drive to your new storage drive, then restore the OS drive's files with the ones on the backup drive. There might be a lot of hardware swapping but if you just rip out all of the internals and lay them on the kitchen counter and swap the PSU from one board to the other, you should be OK.

OR...

Get a NAS and just have all your stuff moved over there.
a b V Motherboard
a c 361 G Storage
September 16, 2009 3:22:32 PM

Start with this sticky in the Hard Drive forum:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196922-32-switching-s...

In general switching RAID disks from one controller to another is not a good plan, especially in RAID0's where absolutely EVERYTHING must be the same to get any data access at all. In the case of nVidia you MAY be in luck. A couple years ago they offered an assurance on their website that all mobo chipsets they make use the same basic RAID algorithms so that any disk written by an nVidia chipset should be usable with any other (later) chipset by them. I cannot comment directly on how this i[pacts a RAID0 array, but I have had occasion myself to move a RAID1 array to a new replacement mobo, and it worked perfectly. Moving to a different manufacturer's chipset is almost sure NOT to work.

Re your backups, what's the chance that the total data on 2 x 2 TB RAID0 arrays would fit, with compression via a software backup utility, on 1.5 TB? If you have only about 1.5 TB of data on each array, you'd need to be able to compress to about 50% or original space or slightly less.
September 17, 2009 12:08:19 PM

I managed to move my RAID disks from a mobo with chipset Nvidia 680i to another mobo with Nvidia 780i. They were set with nvidia striped raid. At least my data is safe, but I doubt this will be possible with switching from one chipset maker to another.
September 18, 2009 3:27:00 PM

Great answers, you guys. Top notch. Great to see that new enthusiast roam this once great land.

You are right, it is impossible to move a RAID array between chipsets. I was searching for, perhaps, some new trick that happened along when I was away.
Thus, the only way to transfer everything to the new chipset, is either to compress all the files to at least 50%, or to build a new computer using the faulty 680i SLi motherboard, move the arrays to it, and then transfer an array at a time to the old and improved computer, wiping and transferring each array, then copying the files back. Luckily, that is what I was planning on doing anyway. If it hadn't been for that, I would never have been able to keep my stuff, unless I wanted to buy the overly expensive 2TB drives.

Again, you guys, superb answers. Really helped me think through my problem and find the answer to know that you cared so much.

I love you all *snickers*
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b G Storage
September 20, 2009 3:37:40 PM

And depending on what the bulk of the data is, you may not be able to achieve a 50% compression ratio.
!