Experience with P5Q and G.Skill?

ck07

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
I am building a system centered around a P5Q Pro. OS will be XP. My first choice for RAM is 2X2 GB G.Skill PC2 8500 F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK. But I am troubled by three things:

-Although the company tech rep swears the memory is compatible with all P5Q series boards, the published spec does not include P45 in the list of support chipsets. Maybe the spec is older than P45 ....

-On extremesystems.org I found 5 threads initiated by people who had (various) troubles with this kit on P5Qs. Blip or iceberg?

-On this forum there are suggestions that in practice RAM rated at PC2-6400 may perform as well in most enivironments, although that leaves the Q of how to guess which products will OC best ....

Anyone have experience with this RAM/mb combination?

p5qdlx

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I have a p5q deluxe that has been having trouble with the memory. I started with some Corsair that wasnt on the list and then switched to G.skill F2-6400c4d-4gbpk (2x2gb) when one of the corsair sticks turned up bad.
I am still getting random error messages that tell me to check the memory.
I tried running it at 4-4-4-12 and 2.0v and although it passed prime95 and memtest86 when i tried to boot up to check the second stick alone, it errorred with a overclock failed message in post. Now I'm running memtest86+ with it at 2.1V so far so good.
Personaly even though it would be overkill for me, I wish I had gotten the CL5 8500 memory so I could follow everyone elses settings.

Turkeychase

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The QVL for the P5Qs does list that RAM as compatible, so you can expect that Asus has tested it and found it to be fine. Newegg also has several 5-star reviews by people who were using the Pro. And from what I hear G.Skill has good support for these types of issues, so if you do run into problems you'll probably be able to work something out. It's likely that some of the things you have been hearing are a result of people not going into the BIOS to tweak the settings, as many boards will attempt to read it as DDR2 800 at the default voltage.

I'm also getting a P5Q Pro and will be buying that memory.