9800GTX+ review out!!!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=580&type=expert&pid=1

read for yourself. but it didnt state what forceware he was using. but i think its the new 177. version since it boost some nice fps against HD4850.
51 answers Last reply
More about 9800gtx review
  1. hmmmnnn not that impressive .... i'd still get a 4850.

    What's more... by the time the 9800GTX+ would be available (for $230) , 4850 would prolly sell for $175
  2. As its been said 100 times already, its just ANOTHER revision/driver update. Youre gonna waste even more $$$ for a 1% performance "increase"? This card is borderline completely worthless as everybody and their mother already has an 8800 card, equal, or better.
  3. im more interested on how far it could OC above the 9800GTX as the old GTX can do 800/2000, maybe this one 900/2200?LOL
  4. 4850 is a lot more than 9800gtx will ever be even if somehow 9800gtx+ is 5% faster although all the major not skewed websites says it won't. It has 1 teraflop of processing power for future processor heavy games. Not to mention better AA performance and higher FP16 blending fillrate for better minimum frame rate and higher resolution in these higher levels of HDR where it would make 9800gtx choke a little more than 4850.
  5. /bored.

    4850 is still superior - and can be purchased for as low as $170 already (with rebate).
  6. After reading that review, I'm convinced that the 9800GTX+ is a knee jerk reaction as a result of the 4850. I can help but think it's another factory oc'd version of the same thing, although the die shrink to 55nm does seem to buy nVidia a little something. I also can't help but figure that, aside from being a "mature" product, nVidia won't get much more out of the 9800GTX+ with subsequent driver releases; whereas ATI has just released the 4850 and it's giving an impressive level of performance with the first run of drivers.
  7. I dont think you'd get more than 1000 memory clock, but I bet you can overclock the shader well if you unlink it from the GPU
  8. ovaltineplease said:
    I dont think you'd get more than 1000 memory clock, but I bet you can overclock the shader well if you unlink it from the GPU


    Considering G92 is really bottlecked by bandwidth I don't see how that 9800+ is going to do anything for performance. Sure it will be a little faster but it's not going to help it's bandwidth limitations.
  9. yup, thats why I say overclocking the memory isn't going to do much for it :P

    I don't think its meant to be anything more than a little faster marvelous211
  10. http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8033&Itemid=1

    some more dirty tactics(good marketing) from Nvidia to react against HD4850.
  11. G92b is on 55nm and is roughly the same size as RV770, I think maybe slightly bigger. This should give us a pretty good apples to apples comparison of the two architectures if we clock them to have the same power consumption under load.
  12. NarwhaleAu said:
    /bored.

    4850 is still superior - and can be purchased for as low as $170 already (with rebate).


    where where!!??
  13. good point. imagine if AMD could unlink its shader clock like the Nvidia! i think it will be a monster!!!lol
  14. mihirkula said:
    where where!!??


    newegg i think.
  15. ^... i checked ... newegg's got all of them for $199
  16. My stock 8800GTS can clock considerably higher than that on core easily. Apparently it's not a good idea to clock the memory over 1100mhz, and my card isn't stable above that anyway, so I don't.

    Woe guys look! It's a 9800GTX+, except not really! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130348

    I'm not impressed.

    The only benefit the card has is the price drop, which Nvidia could have done just to the 9800GTX.

    If they boosted the reference design to have an 820 core and 2052 shader, then I'd be impressed, but I'm not.

    The only benefit to this card, as said before, is that it should be able to overclock higher than the standard 9800GTX, but the 4850 can also overclock, so big deal.
  17. 6 of the 8 Newegg listed cards had good rebates this morning, and have since been pulled. Get ready for the price hike if it's a landslide victory for ATI.
  18. dalynix i wonder the 55nm core can OC to those level you mentioned. but i think if its those good yield chip then they should do as the 9800GTX(good yield) can max out at 800/2000 anyway but most stop at 780/1930.
  19. Whoa, that's freaky. I bought one of the MSI 4850's and the rebate for said it was valid from 6/1/08-6/30/08, and now it's gone! Now it has a free game, but I always prefer cash. They had better honor my rebate.
  20. EXT64 said:
    Whoa, that's freaky. I bought one of the MSI 4850's and the rebate for said it was valid from 6/1/08-6/30/08, and now it's gone! Now it has a free game, but I always prefer cash. They had better honor my rebate.

    Hope you printed everything out already.

    Heres another that still has rebate listed and currently in stock.
    Rebate good until July 15. I went ahead and saved the pdf with the promotion codes.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008716
    ZipZoomfly Part#: 10008716
    Manufacturer SKU: EAH4850/HTDI/512M
    Our Price: $199.99
    Mail In Rebate: $30.00 Expires 07/15/08
    Final Price: $199.99 ( $169.99 after MIR )
  21. iluvgillgill said:
    newegg i think.


    There was one at newegg yesterday with a $25 rebate, and one further down with a $30 rebate. Price after rebate was $169.95 plus shipping.


    They may have all gone now, but the good news is we know they can make a profit at close to $175, so it won't take too long to get down to that price point.
  22. Quick, which'd be the quieter card under load...the 4850 or the GTX?
  23. 4850
  24. Even if the GTX was $100 more, Id still get that one... I NEVER want to see ATis cheapskate drivers and software EVER again.

    However, anyone in their right mind should just stick with their 3870/8800(G92) (I guess these are what most people have) with the optional upgrade to a 2nd card and smoke any of those...
  25. 8pin power supply ha ha
  26. I still have an old 8800GTX, I'd like to get a nice quiet and COOL, card that'd do okay with my 30" and 21" LCDs. The 8800GTX is like an internal space heater. ...but I hate ATI's drivers, so much that I won't even take a chance with them...I'll live with my 'old 8800GTX until nVidia does the same or superior cooler and quieter.
  27. the 9800GTX would be quieter because the bigger heatsink can do with a bigger fan at slow rpm because it move more air.
  28. Damn that suck's it is barely faster than a regular already rehashed 8800gtx/9800gtx/9800gtx+....


    You know i want to see a quiet low powered card from Nvidia kinda like the 9600gt but with performance like the 4850 and not some rehashed ex g80 architecture.
  29. What sucks is though it has a small increase in performance, the power consumed is just, amazing.
  30. bla bla bla crap cheap marketing.
  31. for me ...the best point (after the better performance from the 4850 versus the 9800 GTX) is the 4850's size...it is smaller than the 9800GTX so it can fit in my antec sonata III easily ( at least I hope so :) )
  32. halcyon said:
    Quick, which'd be the quieter card under load...the 4850 or the GTX?


    4850 is the quieter. One of the reviews i read tested this and found it to be pretty much identical to the 3850...well they have almost the same cooler.

    I have a 3850 on one system and its inaudible, quieter than my 8800gt, and thats pretty quiet. The fan on the 3850/4850 barely spins until the core starts getting above 80c. Both the 3850, and it seems the 4850 can run happily at 90 - 100 C, as a result not much cooling is needed....although more may be wanted.

    ive heard that the 9800gtx cooler was a bit louder than the 8800gts.
  33. Are there any benchmarks on how well it oc? Initial non-oced performance level is meaningless. It's the final highest stable oc performance which you run it at that matters. If it oc better than 65nm version, then that's real gain, but if the faster stock clock rate just eats into existing oc headroom, there's no point.

    And does anyone find the 3dmark06 scores strange? They look way too low across the board. I get just above 15k on the same default resolution and settings with 8800gts. Maybe they did something to the test system... :sarcastic:
  34. Supposedly they pushed it to 700mhz.
  35. one word people 4850 ordered one just today ..woohoo
  36. MSI still has the rebate on their site for the 4850 (you fill out an initial form on their website then send in the rest of the info via mail) as you can see below:

    http://www.msicomputer.com/rebate/
  37. iluvgillgill said:
    the 9800GTX would be quieter because the bigger heatsink can do with a bigger fan at slow rpm because it move more air.


    Anonymous said:
    4850 is the quieter. One of the reviews i read tested this and found it to be pretty much identical to the 3850...well they have almost the same cooler.

    I have a 3850 on one system and its inaudible, quieter than my 8800gt, and thats pretty quiet. The fan on the 3850/4850 barely spins until the core starts getting above 80c. Both the 3850, and it seems the 4850 can run happily at 90 - 100 C, as a result not much cooling is needed....although more may be wanted.

    ive heard that the 9800gtx cooler was a bit louder than the 8800gts.


    Thx for the info, that's a big help. ...but I'll not be trying an ATI card until I know that everything about their driver quality and memory footprint, noise, ...everything is way superior than nVidia. I still have scars from when ATI burned us at the office.
  38. halcyon said:
    Thx for the info, that's a big help. ...but I'll not be trying an ATI card until I know that everything about their driver quality and memory footprint, noise, ...everything is way superior than nVidia. I still have scars from when ATI burned us at the office.


    It's usually people computer illiterate error and they blame it on drivers.
  39. Then I guess I'm the unusual exception. ...and yes, I was able to decipher your meaning even though that wasn't a sentence.
  40. romulus47plus1 said:
    What sucks is though it has a small increase in performance, the power consumed is just, amazing.


    *sigh* yeah. For a 55nm card, the power consumption is extremely disappointing. I guess this 55nm G92b chip isn't going to be a strong overclocker like everyone assumed.
  41. fulle said:
    *sigh* yeah. For a 55nm card, the power consumption is extremely disappointing. I guess this 55nm G92b chip isn't going to be a strong overclocker like everyone assumed.


    Yup, G80's more overclockable than any G92, maybe the bigger nm size does increases the overclockability of GPUs.
  42. halcyon said:
    Then I guess I'm the unusual exception. ...and yes, I was able to decipher your meaning even though that wasn't a sentence.


    You must be a genius to figure out my sentence.

    Anyway there's nothing wrong with AMD or Nvidia drivers. People just don't know how to problem solve their own mistakes.
  43. ^sure there's plenty of issues with both Nvidia and ATI's drivers. What are we living in a world where everything magically works the way its supposed to, so long as you meet the IQ requirement of your graphics hardware?

    Nvidia still has uncorrectable micro-stutter issues in SLI, ATI still can't run AA in many games, and has crossfire crashing issues. Its just kinda a decision on the flavor of crap driver problems we want.

    I agree on the point you're trying to make tho. ATI's drivers aren't that inferior to Nvidias... anymore.
  44. fulle said:
    ^sure there's plenty of issues with both Nvidia and ATI's drivers. What are we living in a world where everything magically works the way its supposed to, so long as you meet the IQ requirement of your graphics hardware?

    Nvidia still has uncorrectable micro-stutter issues in SLI, ATI still can't run AA in many games, and has crossfire crashing issues. Its just kinda a decision on the flavor of crap driver problems we want.

    I agree on the point you're trying to make tho. ATI's drivers aren't that inferior to Nvidias... anymore.


    Do tell what problems you are experiencing. People always blame it on drivers or something else but it's usually user error. I have yet to have any problems that I couldn't solve or get around on my own from 20 years I've used computers.
  45. but come on marvelous you cant expect everyone is clever or could solve problem like you. and that what drivers for to help people to get the best out of the hardware. if you are so so clever then why dont you write your own driver so you wont experience any problem with any hardware.you get my point?
  46. ^, ATI still can't run AA in many games, quotemsg]

    They can now, check the benchies. With 4x AA on the 4850 is in most cases pulling ahead of the 9800GTX, when 8x is used in nearly all cases it just about becomes a pimp slap. Looks like ATI finally fixed their AA/AF problems in relation to the 38xx cards.
  47. iluvgillgill said:
    but come on marvelous you cant expect everyone is clever or could solve problem like you. and that what drivers for to help people to get the best out of the hardware. if you are so so clever then why dont you write your own driver so you wont experience any problem with any hardware.you get my point?



    Not to be an ass but why do you write in a way that makes my head hurt?
  48. xx12amanxx said:
    Not to be an ass but why do you write in a way that makes my head hurt?


    in what way? what i said about problems is not the problem?
  49. Am I the only one, or is the little + really annoying?

    All you 9800GTX owners, time to step up to the +, heh.

    I would have loved to sit in on the marketing meeting for that one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards FPS Graphics Product