Ineedanewusername4561

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I need a little advice on my first computer build. I am in grate need of an upgrade and decided that it was about time I went ahead and built my next computer myself instead of ordering a prebuilt. I will be mainly using this for gaming (FPS and RTS mostly). I plan on running XP pro and I believe I can run it in 64 bit. After much research and digging around I have come up with what I believe to be my complete shopping list (minus a few cables)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.0 GHz 199.99
Heat Sink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme+120mm Fan 59.99+19.99
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E 149.99
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 244.99
Memory: Patriot Dual Channel Viper PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz (2 x 2048MB) 131.99
Sound Card: (Built into motherboard) 0
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM x2 (Raid-0)
89.99 x 2
DVD/CD Drive: Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SATA DVD/CD Combo Drive - 20x DVD Write x 2 29.99 x 2
Case: Apevia X-TSJGT-RD X-Telstar Jr. G-Type ATX Mid-Tower Case + Extra 120mm Fan
79.99+19.99
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream 850-Watt ATX SATA / SLI / Active PFC 199.99
Total Cost: 1346.87

The total cost is a little out of the range I wanted it at but is defiantly acceptable for what I believe I am getting. Besides, anything will blow this old P4 out of the water. I would like any comments on alternate hardware/skimming a few bucks off the price or missing items that anyone may notice. I had a few particular items that I am worried about.

First, I am unsure if I should stick with the E8400 or go ahead and get the Q6700 quad core. All the information that I have read seems to point out the higher dual core outperforming the lower quad core. Any input ion this is appreciated. Also as a side note, I would like to overclock either processor. However, I run my computer 24/7 (but not on a heavy load) and was worried that overclocking while running the computer so often may cause problems. The temperature sensor issues also had me a little worried about the E8400.

Second, I was fairly sure on the motherboard until I read about the recent lawsuit ASUS is filing with gigabyte. It seems gigabyte accused ASUS of falsely representing their products, specifically the motherboard I am looking to purchase :pfff: ASUS, while refuting the claim, has yet to put forth any evidence to the contrary. Are there any other motherboards anyone would suggest with this setup? I am trying to stay under the 250 mark with a motherboard.

Third, I cannot find any recent information on power supplies. Every article I read is either dated two years ago or not dated at all. I mainly chose the power supply on price and the fact I have seen OCZ’s name on a lot of the topics of discussion. I am not sure if they produce a quality product or even if 800 watts is sufficient power.

Forth, I have decided to try a Raid 0 configuration. Will that actually have any true benefits or should I go with a single drive. I already have a TB of storage between this computer and an external drive. I could get by with a single 400 GB drive but was hoping raid would offer some performance boost as well.

Lastly, I am not sure about the memory. Once again, there are a million types and brands making me unsure if I am selecting a good quality or not.

Sorry if some of these questions are a little dumb but this is my first build and I do not want to end up with 1400 bucks of scrap. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D

p0isonapple

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Hey fa_q2,

First up I would say stick with that E8400 if you don't plan on overclocking to high, or maybe still if you do, at the moment dual cores are seeing better results than their quad bretheren, even with mild OCs.

Second, the P5K-E is a sound performer, however i'm not to sure how they go overclocking, which you mentioned you want to do.

Seeing as you aren't going for an SLi build that PSU is a bit overkill for you, you may want to drop it down to something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
Single 12V rail, enough power for OCing, and a really reliably PSU, however take note that it doesn't have Modular Cabling.

Lastly, on the memory, I would go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227284
though it is a little slower than the 1066Mhz RAM you've chosen it is great RAM and easily clockable, also has effective heat spreaders.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
+1 for the apple!

If you do go quad core, do not get the Q6700. Bad value especially since you are overclocking. Pick up the Q6600 or Q9300. (65nm/1066 or 45nm/1333)

Dior

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Stay with E8400, with the cooling you chose it will easily reach 4.0Ghz and keep stable 24/7. Take Poisonapple's advice on PSU and RAM.

Also, wait just a few more weeks and wait for ATI to release their 4000 series cards, rumors are that they will provide better performance in the $200 range which you picked.

You could buy 500GB drives for less:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

And also save some money on the case and go with this one: ,it already has 2 120mm fans in it, one acting as intake and the other as exhaust. Great case for the money.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106

Good luck with your build.

Ineedanewusername4561

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
p0isonapple
“First up I would say stick with that E8400 if you don't plan on overclocking to high, or maybe still if you do, at the moment dual cores are seeing better results than their quad bretheren, even with mild OCs.”

That is what I thought as I have been reading a lot of forums and the like to that tune. I am somewhat surprised. I had gone into this expecting the quad core to be the choice processor, having the two extra cores and all.

“Lastly, on the memory, I would go with this…”

I was just wondering why you suggest that. Do you believe the patriot is less reliable or that this system does not need the 1066 speed ram? Or do you just really like OCZ brand name for memory?

shadowduck
“If you do go quad core, do not get the Q6700.”

I will likely stick with the 8400 but I was wondering why the Q6600 is the better value. Before the price cuts it was fairly clear but now there is only a 25 to 30 dollar difference in price depending on where you purchase them.

The Silencer 610 looks like a good deal for me as well as the 500 gig drives.

p0isonapple

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
No it's not that mate, it's just saving you a few dollars and getting you some terrific RAM that is great to overclock with and also good at heat dispersion with those heat spreaders.

The PC&P Silencer PSU series are terrific as well, so win win really :)