Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel x25m ssd: raid 0 vs solo boot up times

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2009 8:20:19 AM

any one have any charts that show the times difference between these two? im wondering if i should get one or two intel x25m for raid 0 in my new gaming rig

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 168 G Storage
September 16, 2009 3:26:56 PM

I have two X25-m 80gb(gen1) in raid-0. I got two because 80gb was not enough space for me, and raid-0 gives me a single convenient image of 160gb. Boot times are good, but I don't boot often, so it is not important to me. I use sleep to S3(save in ram), and wakeup is very quick. With Vista, my game is usually still in ram, so there is no load time. Level load times will be better than any hard drive configuration. Still, the SSD products are rapidly evolving, and prices are coming down. I expect even better things by the end of the year, so don't go overboard now. If 80gb will be enough, just get one and see how you do.
September 16, 2009 11:15:20 PM

geofelt said:
I have two X25-m 80gb(gen1) in raid-0. I got two because 80gb was not enough space for me, and raid-0 gives me a single convenient image of 160gb. Boot times are good, but I don't boot often, so it is not important to me. I use sleep to S3(save in ram), and wakeup is very quick. With Vista, my game is usually still in ram, so there is no load time. Level load times will be better than any hard drive configuration. Still, the SSD products are rapidly evolving, and prices are coming down. I expect even better things by the end of the year, so don't go overboard now. If 80gb will be enough, just get one and see how you do.

thanks for the reply! ha way to be a party pooper with good reasoning. Though i wonder if the gen 2 intel x25m will have any better performance values in raid.
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2009 2:49:01 AM

reliability and performance go up on:

I7 (ICH10)
Windows 7 (TRIM)
Intel SSD x25 gen 2 (lower price too)
... hold for W7 and an I7 (ICH10).

ps, newegg gen2 x25 is $294, you can search the same gen2 on bhphoto for $234... and its probably cheaper somewhere else
m
l
October 22, 2009 4:24:59 AM

i got 2 in raid 0...only because I found them at a steal of 220 a piece..also 80gb is just not enough...boot times prolly wouldnt be much different..but I assume system speed would be better...i never installed windows on 1 jus to see the difference so i dnt truely knw..but i would like to think 2 is better than one..besides jus for space...otherwise why the hell did i spend my money?
m
l
!