berto168

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Alright, I was transferring a file from my computer to this external hard drive. The file was 1.57 GB and so I knew I would have to wait for a while. When I cam back, I noticed that the transfer popup box said transferring 3.14gb (twice the amount), so I cancelled because I thought it was transferring it over twice. Unfortunately, I used the "cut" option and by stopping it mid-transfer, both files (the one on my hard drive and the one my computer) became corrupted.

Soon, after this event, I realized that I couldn't access my external anymore. I noticed that, when this drive was plugged in via usb, i couldn't access my computer without it "not responding". Many simple operations such as booting up, shutting down, and installing programs, would be stuck at some screen until i pulled out the usb for the external. After doing so, everything is fine. My Device Manager recognizes that the drive is there, but I cannot open it. Furthermore, if i plug it in, the click on my computer, it will be stuck on not responding. The moment i pull it out, windows will prompt me that I have to format the drive in order to use it.

I opened up the enclosure, took out the hard drive, and plugged it in directly through SATA, but again the computer will be stuck after the windows loading bar. No operations can be completed when this external is plugged in. Also, when i use testdisk, it will be stuck on "Please Wait".

Is there a way for me to fix this drive without losing the data? I am pretty sure that if i can access this drive, and delete that half-transferred file, i might be able to restore it back to normal. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

My External model is WD5000C032-002

berto168

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
when i use find and mount with the external plugged in through usb, and using a intellectual scan, it is stuck on 0% scanned. furthermore, when i click stop scan, the program stops responding.

berto168

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
when i use partition recovery, the loadup screen gets stuck at "initializing... wait please."

again, whenever i plug in this drive, many programs cannot function properly. the moment i unplug it out of the usb, everything loads up perfectly. (even if i pull the usb out while a program is stuck at loading)