Sign in with
Your question

Boot failure

Last response: in Windows XP
October 2, 2010 5:50:34 PM

I'm working on a computer for a friend. AMD sempron 64 3200+ Faxconn K8M890M2MA-KRS2H Motherboard 2GB ddr2 sdram
The problem is the HD failed. So I put in another HD and reinstalled win XP pro. Everything was fine until this morning. I got up to find it had rebooted in the night and failed to boot up again. I get an error message that says boot failure system security something has failed to initialize due to hardware attatched to your computer is no longer functioning. I've never seen this. I've loaded fail safe settings in bios nothing. I thought I'd reinstall windows but once windows starts to boot the keyboard and mouse are no longer recognized. I can't tell it to boot from CD. This guy is poor by most peoples standards and he'll never be able to afford a new computer. I'd like to help him out here so I would appriciate any help I can get.

More about : boot failure

October 2, 2010 6:51:27 PM

OK I found something from Microsoft that says the SAM file is missing or corrupt. The fix is to replace it. I did. Still doesn't work. I don't have any info on the drive other than windows so reformatting doesn't bother me. But this thin no longer sees a usb key board or mouse. I can't do anything until it does. I can't even get back into bios. Frustrating as hell.
m
l
October 2, 2010 6:57:01 PM

If you're using a USB mouse/keyboard, you may need to switch to PS2. By loading the fail safe settings in the BIOS, you may have reverted them to having the USB interface disabled.

Then, doing a repair install may fix the issue.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2010 7:15:19 PM

aford10 said:
If you're using a USB mouse/keyboard, you may need to switch to PS2. By loading the fail safe settings in the BIOS, you may have reverted them to having the USB interface disabled.

Then, doing a repair install may fix the issue.

Great I don't have a P/S2 keyboard. I'll reset the bios to factory defaults.
m
l
October 2, 2010 10:32:15 PM

The BIOS defaults may also be set to PS2, since it's older hardware.

If you know someone that has a PS2 keyboard, try borrowing it. Then you can get into the BIOS, and change it if needed.
m
l
October 5, 2010 3:53:20 PM

aford10 said:
The BIOS defaults may also be set to PS2, since it's older hardware.

If you know someone that has a PS2 keyboard, try borrowing it. Then you can get into the BIOS, and change it if needed.

No it's older hardware but no that old. About 2006 I believe. At least for the technology. I believe this system was built after that. I just reset the bios and got in. I just reformatted after that. There just wasn't enough data there to justify the headache of trying to fix things. Next issue I think I'll have to help is if he wants to upgrade anything at all he'll have to get a bigger PSU. Right now it's only 200W! I gave the computer back a couple days ago and everything is fine. Thanks for the help.
m
l
October 5, 2010 4:04:32 PM

Yep, that's a pretty sad PSU.

You're welcome
m
l
!