windows xp on two computers

August 16, 2005 5:07:05 PM

I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
used on one.

More about : windows computers

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:16:44 PM

liquidboyblue wrote:
> I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
> wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
> used on one.
One copy, one computer

gls858
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 7:17:44 PM

You are only permitted to install one (1) copy of Windows XP
on one (1) computer using the Product Key (license). Additional
installations on different PCs require their own unique Product Key.

Therefore, if you wish to install Windows XP on two (2) PCs,
you need to purchase two (2) licenses.

Please read your End-User License Agreement by going
to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then
click on "End-User License Agreement".

If you already have a retail copy of Windows XP, you can obtain
additional licenses for another computer or laptop by visiting the
following Microsoft Web site:
http://shop.microsoft.com/special/wal/walinfo.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"liquidboyblue" wrote:

| I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
| wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
| used on one.
August 16, 2005 8:53:48 PM

Short answer - Not legally.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"liquidboyblue" <liquidboyblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
> wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
> used on one.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:50:19 PM

liquidboyblue wrote:
> I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
> wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
> used on one.

You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer on
which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

One can buy additional licenses, assuming one already has a retail
license. Naturally, Microsoft cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be
aware, however, that you'll probably pay more this way than you would if
you were to buy a second copy of WinXP from a discount retailer;
Microsoft will only offer you a 15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic...

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic....

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
August 17, 2005 3:24:29 PM

Love your reply!

--

johnf

> Short answer - Not legally.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "liquidboyblue" <liquidboyblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:72D6D2A7-EC1F-4CCC-9EE4-61CA2A119105@microsoft.com...
>> I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and
>> was wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only
>> meant to be used on one.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:05:15 PM

Or perhaps even better:

" At least not on MS terms"...

Don Burnette

johnf wrote:
> Love your reply!
>

>> Short answer - Not legally.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
>> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>>

>> "liquidboyblue" <liquidboyblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:72D6D2A7-EC1F-4CCC-9EE4-61CA2A119105@microsoft.com...
>>> I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp
>>> and was wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it
>>> only meant to be used on one.
August 18, 2005 12:24:31 AM

gls858 wrote:

> liquidboyblue wrote:
>> I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
>> wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
>> used on one.
> One copy, one computer
>
> gls858

Wrong. One *licence* one computer. Yiou are permitted to make *copies* of
the CD for backup purposes.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 5.04 and Open Office 2.0

Gordon wrote:
> gls858 wrote:
>

>>liquidboyblue wrote:
>>
>>>I have two computer at home for personal use. I bought Windows xp and was
>>>wondering if i can install it on both computers or is it only meant to be
>>>used on one.
>>
>>One copy, one computer
>>
>>gls858
>

> Wrong. One *licence* one computer. Yiou are permitted to make *copies* of
> the CD for backup purposes.

Your right. Poor choice of words on my part.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 12:50:39 AM

No, "Not legally" is better to install you agree to the EUILA.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

!