Nvidia does it again! no sli licence use our chips!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Nvidia is between a rock and hard place now - first off, the stock has fallen from 40 to 11. Second, their 200 gpu is too big and expensive and ATI has finally fixed the R600 with the new nimble 700. Third, their chpsets are hotter then ever and burn up and burn ram up. Now to add, they messed up the thermals on mobile gpu's ika, an xbox360 chip cooling fiasco. oops, oops and oops again best describes nvidia today - ok i am still pissed my x975 mobo that i still use does not have SLI~!

Today, finally Nvidia's 2003 decision to deny all us intel chipset users SLI, by pulling out of cross licencing with intel is coming to a head. Silly intel, nice intel did not think to make nvidia, require, sli cross licence. So guess what no nehalem chipset means low sli sales unless amd pulls the rabbit out of its hat with a new cpu!

what does nvidia do? o boy, they are going to let intel add, add not use software, but add a nforce 200 sli chip to the X58 - O BOY! what a $600 mobo again?

what a plan lets make them use our old overpriced hot chips for SLI!

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/604443/intel-x58-chipset-to-support-sli-and-crossfire.html

custompc wrote: " Nvidia explained to Custom PC that this wasn’t a licensing deal with Intel, but that motherboard manufacturers would be directly purchasing the nForce 200 MCPs from Nvidia. It’s an interesting move from Nvidia, who has so far only offered SLI support on its own nForce SLI chipsets in the mainstream motherboard market. "

PS: rambus is on their rear too??? rambus and intel they are close are they not? I think intel might be getting some pay back on that SLI?

Meh they are just greedy. The reason they do this is because they know that Intel chipsets are faster, more reliable and OC much better than their chipsets do. SO if they gave Intel the ability to add SLI into their chipsets they would not get as many sales especially since the 8800 series was the top dog for a while.

As for the nforce 200 SLI chip being added, from what I can tell not having the SLI/CF right on the chipset would seem to me give you a bit less performance since it has to go through another chip instead of to the chipset (Northbridge) that controlls the PCIe lanes anyways.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
As I have said, and ill say it again..

You can not work against Intel, you work with them....

Nvidia will be in deep trouble now as this is just the begining....

Do not pee off the industry standard which the rest follow...

All dual pci-16 express chipsets support sli in hardware its the drivers that nvidia wont license which is a shame as Intel make the best chipsets of all...

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

yes i agree that nvidia care's little for the the user they are all about beating intel

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

The 4850 and 4870 have already done that :D

hannibal

Distinguished
Well it may be allso that Nvidia is very sure their rumored upcoming DX10.1 cards, or at least are hopefull... It's very hard to say what kind of products different companies have, when Nehalem is actually released.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
"All dual pci-16 express chipsets support sli in hardware its the drivers that nvidia wont license which is a shame as Intel make the best chipsets of all..."

Can you imagine all the people out there who could upgrade to dual nvidia cards if nvidia wern't so greedy? It's a win win as far as I can see.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Yup, but i think Nvidia another plans...

Anyway, selling the MCP to work in a Intel chip set board is a really nice idea. I dotn think will put the boards that much expensive, and it will allow newers Chipsets and CPUs to be used on those boards.

Not that i like the idea, but hey, its a good business move. Anyway, i hate the guts of Nvidia since the time of 3dfx.
Yeah, i keep a grudge for too long.....

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Nvidia has left a sour taste in my mouth as well, I am at the point where it's 50/50 to buy a Nvidia card or a ATI card. Their CEO is stuck in the 90's when Nvidia was top dog, things have changed and Nvidia hasn't, which makes things that much worse. Frankly Intel shouldn't licence QPI to them untill they have a replacement in management.

Word, Playa.

12 months ago the fastest growing part of nVidia was their chipset business (around 200% a year).

DAAMIT has released the 690g, upped the ante with the 780g (now 'refreshed' with Sideport and soon sb750), and the other 7xx series chipsets (770, 790x & 790fx). The 790gx and 790fx with sb750 may roll out before the end of the month.

nVidia's MPC78s were slow to market by 6 months (still waiting on the GeForce 9200?) as was the the nForce 700a family. They are taking a one-time charge in Q208 (from $150 million to $200 million total) because of quality/warranty issues.

Licensing SLI to mainstream desktops with Intel chipsets would pillage the portion of their chipset business which is currently providing a return with future growth opportunity.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

Nvidia chipsets are overrated and their quality issues are not well recognized by the end user - part of it is the good warranty support of Evga and asus.

Evga used to give lifetime warranties on mobos now its 1 year - ask yourself why? asus gives 3 years on high end mobos.

their chipset market was a direct result of sli and 8000 gpu's, even if you bought one 8800GTS you got an sli mobo for upgrades.

The P5N-E was my main mobo for low end systems (my low end is $1800) for much of 2007. The 680i mobos where nothing but problems. The 780 seems to be only slightly better, I think that the chipset market will crash for nvidia for 2 reasons.

One, in the new 45nm intel cpu has no competition and nvidia does not have a solution, if it does it will be late and problematic.
Two, ATI now owns the mid market for gpu's with the new X2 they will keep on the mid-high end. While the flagship may be low in actual numbers it drives the low end.

Nvidia is going to get what it deserves and the market has correctly predicted this in their stock price - take a ratio to intel.

40/28 is the one year high

11.5/18 is the one year low

if you plot the ratio you see an exact correlation to product releases.