Sign in with
Your question

What do you think of this motherboard: ASUS P5Q WS P45

Last response: in Motherboards
August 5, 2008 7:17:20 PM

ASUS P5Q WS P45
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has all the features I'm looking for for a gaming/general purpose rig, but it's a workstation board. Is there really much difference? The only notable feature I see is the PCI-X slot, which I don't need but I don't mind that it's there. I really like the two eSATA back panel connectors and the right-angle SATA connectors. I can't seem to find another sub-$200 board with these features (Intel chipset..). Let me know what you think of it... as I said gaming and general use, but no overclocking.
August 6, 2008 12:28:32 PM

Yeah, I've been looking at that one as well and its starting to sound like the better option. I rather prefer the SATA setup on the WS board, but it's probably not worth the additional $.

I understand the BIOS is still immature for the P45 boards. Did you have any issues? Compatibility with your RAM, for instance?
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2008 12:08:38 AM

I had some RAM issues, but they were due more to bad RAM.

I bought a 2x2 kit of OCZ Reaper 1066. I could never get it stable at any speed over 800. OCZ tried to help but in the end I decided it wasn't worth the hassle to RMA.

I never really wanted to run the PC over the 400 FSB mark. I just wanted to know I could.

I did in fact have it up to 533, the RAM just wasn't stable at those speeds.

3.6ghz is insanely fast anyway ;) 

One other issue... I had the same problem as the guys that did the review at some other site. I could not get Crysis to run and it said it had detected emulation software. After going around with the support guy at the place that makes Crysis' anti-theft software (Securom), they finally gave me a new Crysis.exe that solved the problem. They would not explain why it happened, and other people have not had that problem, so I don't know.
!