winXP deleting and Undo Folder

ignaska

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Hi,

first of all, english is not my first language so sorry for mistakes.

Ok, here we go:

I have an old laptop with winXP and I need to install win98 there because of the parametres of the laptop.
I tryed deleting OS but the I got error where was written something about the "Undo Folder". So I started searching for it in all ways, but there was no light in the back of the tunel ;D

So please help me : suggest how to remove OS in the most ordinary way.

Thanks.

You simply install 98, you don't have to erase anything. At the beginning of the install operation, you will have the option to format the drive. That will erase EVERYTHING from the drive before the install of 98 begins.
Just insert the 98 install CD and begin, you are over-thinking the process.
But be warned, you will lose everything on the drive. Be sure you save anything important somewhere else.

ignaska

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
ahm, that's rather not what I need.

Okey, is it possible to rewrite win98 on winxp or something like that?

ignaska

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Very sorry for three posts but I couldn't edit the messages.

EDIT :

I am trying to overinstall win98 and I have a black window with a text : "Ready for EC/KBC update. Place the EC/KBC update diskette in the drive, and press any key when ready to proceed."

I put installer CD, then I put diskette and.. nothing. I've pushed every button and even the power button and there is no reply.
What can be this?

weilin

Distinguished
um, if the system runs 98, chances are, it will run 2000 which is better OS. like shadow said, what are the specs of hte laptop, 98 drivers may not be available but 2000 can use xp drivers if push comes to shove...

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
heres a solution, if you have things on xp that you don't want to get rid of, i would sudgest partitioning the drive using qtparted. that will let you resize the partition without lossing data unless the data is exactly where you want the partion to be or you used up to much space than the xp partition has used. then you install 98 onto the new partition. you wont be able to use xp, but you will still have all data thats on it for accessability. but be warned, your xp partition must already be in fat32 for 98 to recognize the partition. otherwise you will have to reinstall xp in the same order that i just gave you, which will give you the ability to dual boot, but will also require you to create another partition.

Sound advice, but.....

Remember, the big problem is he can't figure out to delete XP so he can install Win98.
I somehow just don't think that playing with partitions, dual booting etc. is the right answer for this poster.

ignaska

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008

I realize that BUT there'll be no connection to the internet. So, no virus indeed.

I was thinking about partition but I hear lots of comments that after partition your pc lasts ~6 months, maybe a bit more. and then - crash. is this true or just a big fake?

and for the end one lame question - where the **** is Undo Folder? after making that all files wouldn't be hidden I still haven't seen it. winXP reinstall is necessary or what?

I was thinking about partition but I hear lots of comments that after partition your pc lasts ~6 months, maybe a bit more. and then - crash. is this true or just a big fake?
That is not true at all. I am running a partitioned PCs for 2+ years, and never had a problem.

You will have to nuke the HDD or reformat it and then install 98.

ozsa

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
So you simply want to delete XP and get a W98 ?
If you have a floppy drive, just make a W98 boot disk, and type "fdisk" then 3- and delete all of your partitions (this won't harm your hard disk, this is 100% im partitioning since 93 and never got a hard drive broken coz of this, after u delete and create new partition, set the C as active, its the 2nd option) then restart, boot from disk again, format at least the C: driver, and go to CD drive, start installing or u can copy the w98 kit to your hdd first, and enable smart drive if you copy, makes it faster. If you dont have floppy drive then its a bit harder, you need a bootable cd with command prompt, and fdisk, or a bootable partition magic, anything like this.

ignaska

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Okay, I deleted my partition.

Now I have put win98 setup, created partition but I got "The Windows 98 Setup files were not found". Thats impossible: |