help me prove my friend wrong.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
ok, i know that RAM speed is usually based off of the FSB, but mine seems to have decided to go off of the cpu. (cpu/6) my friend won't believe be no matter how much math and proof i give him. he has it in his head that he ram decided to configure itself to my cpu's multiplier and derive the speed from some sort of equation that changes whenever i change the FSB. so i decided to try and get your help to put a RPG up his ***.

things that matter
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

CPU: AMD 4400+ brisbane

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135075

after i noticed in cpu-z that the FSB:DRAM box said cpu/6, i decided to change my FSB to see if it was true like anyone would (i would think anyway). and it has only proved to be correct.

im afraid that my internet is being odd today, so i wont be able to give you my cpu-z pics, but i will give you stats
current
core speed: 2504.6 MHz
multiplier: 11.5
bus speed: 217.8 MHz
Hyper transport link: 1089MHz

memory
DRAM frequency: 417.4MHz
FSB:DRAM: cpu/6

past
core speed 2300 MHZ
multiplier: 11.5
bus speed 200MHz
Hyper T: 1000MHZ

Memory
DRAM frequency 383.3
FSB:DRAM cpu/6

anything in between always yielded the same results. core speed/6=DRAM frequency while DRAM/FSB= i cared not to really remember.

so if you can help me prove him wrong some more, it would be of some help. (its really odd of an atheist not to listen to math/science)

You are bouth correct.

With a current Intel system the RAM speed is set to a ratio of the FSB.

An AMD system uses a diffrent type of bus where the CPU controls the memory speed at a fraction to it's speed.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
That's how ram speed is set with amd cpus. It's (cpu/x)*2 = ram speed. The value of x changes depending on the type of ram used, ie ddr2-667, ddr2-800, and the cpu multiplier. By defaut, a non-overclocked system will have x so that the ram speed is at or below that of the type being used.

For Intel systems, the ram speed is (x*fsb) = ram speed. It is independent of the cpu speed. The reason for this is that amd cpus have a built in memory controller, intels do not. This will change, however, when Nealham comes out.

Daft Im afraid your friend is correct. The FSB is the the factor and has nothing to do with the CPU. In bios you can go in and change your memory multiplier to 400, 533, 667, 800, ect... and leave your CPU to stock. By the way with your low OC of only about 100MHz to the CPU i suggest you atleast set your memory to 667. This way your upped FSB will have your RAM just under DDR2/700MHz.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I don't think about how fast my memory is.
I just set my memory speed inside the BIOS and forget about it.
That way, if I overclock my processor, I don't have to worry about how fast the memory is running because I have it locked in to what ever speed it will run stable on.