Sign in with
Your question

Can't Get i7 920 to 3.8 - Assistance Please

Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2009 8:56:43 AM

Hey guys, I'm having terrible luck getting my i7 920 to 3.8GHz or higher. I'm new to the OCing scene and proud to say I did 3.2GHz myself, but anything beyond that (trying adjusting templates posted for 4GHz +) isn't working out so hot.

I hate to say I'm looking for an easy out, but at least I'd love a baseline profile to go by. I tried the settings recommended in MaximumPC...needless to say, they left a lot out in what they adjusted and, not surprisingly (hey, I said I was new), I failed to get any boot with their settings.

I've had her up and running, twice, at 3.8GHz but I crash withing ten minutes of loading Prime95 with the settings I've been trying (as I said, I'd been "adjusting" profiles posted for 4GHz + OCs).

Any and all help is appreciated.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme [rev: 1.0] ~ BIOS: F6
3x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600
CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Case
PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler
Nvidia GTX 295 GPU
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

More about : 920 assistance

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2009 6:17:59 PM

Read the overclocking sticky. Pay attention to the RAM settings since that will limit your overclocking efforts.
April 12, 2009 10:38:46 PM

we have different mobos, but the same GPU cpu cooler and RAM. I'll give you what I have and see if it works.

BCLK 190
CPU Multi. 20x
CPU core Voltage 1.21250
DRAM Bus Voltage 1.60
QPI/Dram Voltage 1.20

RAM Multi 8x @ 1520 7-7-7-18 1T timings
HT ON
Intel Turbo OFF
Intel Speedstep OFF

All else left on auto

April 13, 2009 4:09:50 AM

Maggard said:
Hey guys, I'm having terrible luck getting my i7 920 to 3.8GHz or higher. I'm new to the OCing scene and proud to say I did 3.2GHz myself, but anything beyond that (trying adjusting templates posted for 4GHz +) isn't working out so hot.

I hate to say I'm looking for an easy out, but at least I'd love a baseline profile to go by. I tried the settings recommended in MaximumPC...needless to say, they left a lot out in what they adjusted and, not surprisingly (hey, I said I was new), I failed to get any boot with their settings.

I've had her up and running, twice, at 3.8GHz but I crash withing ten minutes of loading Prime95 with the settings I've been trying (as I said, I'd been "adjusting" profiles posted for 4GHz + OCs).

Any and all help is appreciated.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme [rev: 1.0] ~ BIOS: F6
3x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600
CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Case
PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer PSU
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler
Nvidia GTX 295 GPU
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

Make sure that you have supplied enough voltage and that you haven't accidentally overclocked the RAM. If that was your intention, make sure that the voltages for the RAM are all good. You can see if the RAM is the problem by using MemTest.
!