Overclock pehom II 920

alentor

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
can someone please guide/help me, i want to overclock my cpu(AMD phenomII 920 2.8Ghz) from 2.8Ghz to 3.0

thanks.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Simple. READ THE OC STICKY! THAT'S WHAT IT'S THERE FOR!

All he wants to do is a simple overclock from 2.8ghz to 3.0, which only requires you do exactly as I said. You do not have to start messing around with all the crap you stated. If he said he wanted to overclock to 3.6ghz, then that is a different scenerio, and yes you have go much deeper.

The PII920 can go as high as 3.2 ghz by simply raising the buss speed, and you don't have to touch anything else, if you have decent RAM.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

It all depends on the motherboard. Some require you to change multipliers etc (yuck!), but mine automatically adjusts dividers as you change the FSB in order to run the RAM at the same speed (although you can change the frequency if you wish). Again, all depends on the mobo. Some are simpler and easier to overclock, others are more complicated and need a lot of time to figure out what to do. It depends on if the OP is up to the challenge.

Come on guys now seriously. He wants a simple overclock of 200mhz. 2.8 to 3 ghz. Very simple, very easy. If you own a board that will not take a Phenom 920 from 2.8 to 3ghz without simply bumping the buss speed a little, you need to get rid of it, or you don't need to be overclocking. We are all impressed with your vast knowledge in the universe of overclocking. Using all the big words like "frequency" , "mulitiplier", "divider" and the like. I just don't believe a 200mhz overclock is going to require confusing the OP with all the extra things, unless he does come back and say he is having a further problem.
But I seriously doubt he will.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

I agree! Just giving him some background info, sheesh. He's going to have to know stuff like "frequency", "multiplier" etc if he wants to OC any further anyway (200MHz will HARDLY make a difference). If he knows what this stuff is, then he's not going to have to start a whole new thread if (and he probably will) if he wants to overclock further. It's good to know what these terms mean. This forum is designed to give people knowledge, no harm in that.

cisco kid

Distinguished
May 3, 2009

exactly all i did for my 920 was raise fsb to 240 and I am running 3.3.60 stock everything else, now I gotta start tinkering so I can get to 3.6 which will take a few other adjustments

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Erm... you have the reflexes of a 90 year old if it takes you this long after the thread has died for you to reply.