Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nvidia gets a big advantage in 3DMark Vantage because of PhysX on GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 21, 2008 3:25:17 AM

this is a really bad aticle and really bad title - people read this and believe it.


two 3870 x2's in a ddr3 3.6ghz quad system run 22-24k 3dmark06 - regardless the cost is only $600 or $700 for the 2 cards. 3 x GTX 280 cards cost all most 2 grand! Ok, that's $1900 or so!

Compare like price items - if anything the 3dmark scores are low for the cost of the cards and since its the latest greatest!
June 21, 2008 3:26:26 AM

i have post this 2 days ago. have a look in this forum if you want to know whhat people think.
Related resources
June 21, 2008 3:31:28 AM

Author Thread : To those who think HD4850 will whoop ass hold it!
iluvgillgi ll
Profile: Honorary Poster
More Information
Gender : Male
posts : 2016
Joined : Tue Jan 01, 1970
Location : London
06-20-2008 at 01:47:37 AM Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quote this message
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?a [...] pert&pid=1

in the review the 4850 is only able to match the 8800GTS but still behind 9800GTX. but in somewhere else we have seen much higher result. so think again! from what im seeing the review on the net is being hand picked so only the good ones will be shown where as the underperforming onese has been put away.

and the release of 9800GTX+ which will have higher clock then the one use in all the review will be either catch up with hd4850 or extend the lead depend on whether the reviews we are seeing is true. and it will be sold at the same price as the 9800GTX now and the 9800GTX will drop to $199

but no doubt that the price for the card you will get is brilliant.

also one more thing to consider. something that current AMD is not capable of no matter how to argue it.


June 21, 2008 3:32:27 AM

i will hold my breath for the 4870x2 - amd better get there butt moving!
June 21, 2008 3:37:51 AM

dragonsprayer said:
i will hold my breath for the 4870x2 - amd better get there butt moving!

Supposedly, the 4870x2 does not use bridge, shares ram, and will scale as a single gpu. If true, they're onto something here. Likely blow away comparable setup nvidia can offer.

The 4850, despite all its hype, didn't do all that well. It barely performs on level with g92 8800gts at stock ($160 after mir), runs hot, and does not oc well. When both oced to limits, it's below 8800gts.
June 21, 2008 3:55:02 AM

i only see 700OC thats where all people stop. but i think that just the max limit in their catalyst centre isnt it?or that is how far it will OC?
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2008 4:33:11 AM

Thats currently the limit on the CCC. Ati tool, riva arent set yet for ocing these cards, or at least in the usual manner
June 21, 2008 4:58:43 AM

3D mark Vantage: PC gamings latest and greatest :lol: 

The really sad part is this STILL doesn't make Crysis play any better...God I love Crytek! :) 
June 21, 2008 5:25:11 AM

Because 3DMark is so important.
June 21, 2008 6:30:34 AM

dagger said:
Supposedly, the 4870x2 does not use bridge, shares ram, and will scale as a single gpu. If true, they're onto something here. Likely blow away comparable setup nvidia can offer.

The 4850, despite all its hype, didn't do all that well. It barely performs on level with g92 8800gts at stock ($160 after mir), runs hot, and does not oc well. When both oced to limits, it's below 8800gts.



tests i saw on the 4850 kick butt and matched the 9800gtx - i better research it. i been busy making a new site and building systems and i have fallen behind - even the dragon makes mistakes! my bad, as my kid says!
June 21, 2008 7:05:40 AM

dragons, I think perhaps you have not correctly assimilated the data..

There was no performance gain in terms of physics (the opposite actually) from adding more 280 cards because physx doesnt scale up yet like sli.

So noone was comparing $1900 to $600. more like 600 to 600... and the 280 outpreforms a 2x3870 in all other respects by a huge marigin..


So the article is pretty good.

Noone is arguing that a 280 isn't a beast. it beats a 9800x2 in crysis by over 40%, which is ridiculous, but it just isn't good value.

The 4850 is indeed a bit of a turd that got overhyped by peoples expectations when in fact it'll be in the same neighborhood of the 9800+, except in physx supported applications where it won't compete..
It SLIs wonderfully though, but the real question is... why buy it?

the 8800 series has been out for what, 15 years already?

Nearly everyone who plays comp games already has a 8800 or better.. if you already got one you can simply buy another and sli them for miniscule costs and get performance matching a $600 280 card..

So since you most probably already have a great card that plays everything in existence currently and will soon be physx compatible, why bother buying anything from this new generation of cards?

I think I'll wait another half year for the downsizing of the 200 series chip and see how that works in terms of noise, power effeciency and so on.
I think that one will be the card I've been waiting for..
June 21, 2008 8:09:10 AM

PLease tell how to install the drivers! I have a 8800 GTS 512 I heard it works with it too.
June 21, 2008 11:03:49 AM

All those great physx titles on the market, bring on more boxes in the levels. I mean it is so much more popular than Havoc!

June 21, 2008 1:23:27 PM

Too bad Nvidia's physics doesn't do anything for games.
June 21, 2008 1:25:27 PM

dragonsprayer said:
tests i saw on the 4850 kick butt and matched the 9800gtx - i better research it. i been busy making a new site and building systems and i have fallen behind - even the dragon makes mistakes! my bad, as my kid says!


that's what I saw too. Even sometimes getting very close to 260gtx for half the price. :hello: 
June 21, 2008 1:27:20 PM

dragonsprayer said:
Author Thread : To those who think HD4850 will whoop ass hold it!
iluvgillgi ll
Profile: Honorary Poster
More Information
Gender : Male
posts : 2016
Joined : Tue Jan 01, 1970
Location : London
06-20-2008 at 01:47:37 AM Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quote this message
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?a [...] pert&pid=1

in the review the 4850 is only able to match the 8800GTS but still behind 9800GTX. but in somewhere else we have seen much higher result. so think again! from what im seeing the review on the net is being hand picked so only the good ones will be shown where as the underperforming onese has been put away.

and the release of 9800GTX+ which will have higher clock then the one use in all the review will be either catch up with hd4850 or extend the lead depend on whether the reviews we are seeing is true. and it will be sold at the same price as the 9800GTX now and the 9800GTX will drop to $199

but no doubt that the price for the card you will get is brilliant.

also one more thing to consider. something that current AMD is not capable of no matter how to argue it.


I love how these fanboys grasp straws to 1 article and praise it like it's the god truth when every major website says other wise. :lol: 
June 21, 2008 1:29:11 PM

Dude physics is over-rated

who cares if its gonna cost a premium and not help gamers in FPS .
June 21, 2008 2:52:03 PM

marvelous211 said:
I love how these fanboys grasp straws to 1 article and praise it like it's the god truth when every major website says other wise. :lol: 


:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

nice day!
June 21, 2008 3:15:56 PM

iluvgillgill said:
:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

nice day!


you included of course. :pt1cable:  Hey that was the same article. :lol: 
June 21, 2008 3:35:51 PM

marvelous211 said:
you included of course. :pt1cable:  Hey that was the same article. :lol: 


damm!people in here is the same people!!! :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2008 5:17:02 PM

huh?
June 21, 2008 7:35:11 PM

iluvgillgill said:
damm!people in here is the same people!!! :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :lol: 


4850 has 512bit memory bus. :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 21, 2008 9:48:28 PM

marvelous211 said:
4850 has 512bit memory bus. :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 


what are you talking about?!?!that GTX280 territory! :lol:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :pt1cable: 
June 21, 2008 10:03:12 PM

iluvgillgill said:
what are you talking about?!?!that GTX280 territory! :lol:  :pt1cable:  :lol:  :pt1cable: 



iluvgillgill said:
im talking about 512 bit in the new hd4850 and the old 9800gtx got 256 bit will struggle at high resolution.do you know what buswidth is?you dont look like you know.


:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 21, 2008 10:16:42 PM

marvelous211 said:
:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 


you had to dig that one up dont you! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
June 21, 2008 10:17:24 PM

but why did amd drop the 512bit anyway?
June 21, 2008 10:23:00 PM

iluvgillgill said:
but why did amd drop the 512bit anyway?

It didn't work out for the hd3000s. :p 
June 21, 2008 10:35:20 PM

but i think if it did it might end up very expensive which will make all these excitements go away.i think!no?
June 22, 2008 1:48:28 AM

iluvgillgill said:
you had to dig that one up dont you! :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 


Not really when you are about as clueless as you are I couldn't miss it. :lol: 
June 22, 2008 1:49:58 AM

iluvgillgill said:
but why did amd drop the 512bit anyway?


Um RV770 was never supposed to be 512bits. It was always 256bit using either GDDR3 or GDDR5. 2900xt is the only card that had 512bit but that card way less fillrate that really didn't take advantage of it.
June 22, 2008 1:50:30 AM

dagger said:
It didn't work out for the hd3000s. :p 


HD3000 wasn't 512 bit either.
June 22, 2008 2:33:18 AM

marvelous do you have a 780G? i wounder if it can play like GRID in 1024x768 high? do you know?
June 22, 2008 2:45:06 AM

marvelous211 said:
HD3000 wasn't 512 bit either.

I meant hd2000s. :p 
June 22, 2008 2:50:58 AM

do you know dagger?any 780g?
June 22, 2008 2:53:43 AM

iluvgillgill said:
do you know dagger?any 780g?

What is a 780g? :p 
June 22, 2008 2:54:28 AM

lol

780G IGP. any memory of that?
June 22, 2008 2:56:31 AM

iluvgillgill said:
lol

780G IGP. any memory of that?

What's an igp? :p 
June 22, 2008 2:59:21 AM

you are quite "outdated" arent you? as im a intel and nvidia fanboy that people called me(which im not) i still know the 780G chipset from AMD which blast every single onboard graphics chip out of the water.
June 22, 2008 3:00:34 AM

iluvgillgill said:
you are quite "outdated" arent you? as im a intel and nvidia fanboy that people called me(which im not) i still know the 780G chipset from AMD which blast every single onboard graphics chip out of the water.

What is this AMD you speak of? :na: 
June 22, 2008 3:01:56 AM

aye! you are messing with me. be serious now. do you know anything about it?
June 22, 2008 3:05:28 AM

iluvgillgill said:
you are quite "outdated" arent you? as im a intel and nvidia fanboy that people called me(which im not) i still know the 780G chipset from AMD which blast every single onboard graphics chip out of the water.


I think you just make stuff up though. :p 
June 22, 2008 3:07:07 AM

iluvgillgill said:
aye! you are messing with me. be serious now. do you know anything about it?



Heard of it. Integreted graphics don't concern me though. So I don't know any details. Doesn't matter if it's better than Intel onboards. Still slow. :p 
June 22, 2008 1:58:09 PM

marvelous211 said:
I think you just make stuff up though. :p 


there is a noob in the other thread digging up my "512bit HD4850" and start insulting me. LOL :lol: 
June 22, 2008 4:16:51 PM

iluvgillgill said:
there is a noob in the other thread digging up my "512bit HD4850" and start insulting me. LOL :lol: 


I don't think you should be calling anyone noob. :lol: 
June 22, 2008 4:49:49 PM

marvelous211 said:
I don't think you should be calling anyone noob. :lol: 


oh come on marvelous go easy on me will you!?lol

IM THE NOOB MASTER!!!LOL FTW!!! :lol:  :pt1cable: 
June 22, 2008 4:52:06 PM

iluvgillgill said:
oh come on marvelous go easy on me will you!?lol

IM THE NOOB MASTER!!!LOL FTW!!! :lol:  :pt1cable: 



Why's your slave insulting you?
June 22, 2008 4:54:53 PM

lol i think being a noob is good. thinking of opening a new account.:D 
June 22, 2008 4:57:41 PM

dagger said:
Why's your slave insulting you?


illuvgilgill is my slave. :lol: 
June 22, 2008 9:21:13 PM

marvelous211 said:
illuvgilgill is my slave. :lol: 


i thought its the other way round!:p  :lol:  :pt1cable: 
!