Sign in with
Your question

Overclock E8400 to 4.26GHz on P5Q Pro

Last response: in Overclocking
April 12, 2009 1:20:51 PM

Hi guys, I've recently bought a new system which I now intend to overclock and could use some advice. I originally wanted to take my E8400 to 4GHz but have now looked further into this and am thinking of putting my FSB to 533MHz (as memory is 1066MHz Reaper i.e.533x2)making it 4.26Ghz. I have a P5Q Pro so my MB should be able to handle this. Is my thinking correct or would you say this is pushing it too far considering I am only using air cooling? (going to invest in something like a tuniq tower) Is the 1:1 ratio really going to make much of a difference...it does seem to fit nicely and id like to get the most outa my memory ;) 
April 12, 2009 1:45:54 PM

go for a V10 or a TRUE if you want to go that high. Maybe wait for a V12, might go even higher.

also the 1:1 ratio will add to performance but the overclock will be the main reason why it improves performance.
April 12, 2009 3:49:34 PM

benslatz said:
Hi guys, I've recently bought a new system which I now intend to overclock and could use some advice. I originally wanted to take my E8400 to 4GHz but have now looked further into this and am thinking of putting my FSB to 533MHz (as memory is 1066MHz Reaper i.e.533x2)making it 4.26Ghz. I have a P5Q Pro so my MB should be able to handle this. Is my thinking correct or would you say this is pushing it too far considering I am only using air cooling? (going to invest in something like a tuniq tower) Is the 1:1 ratio really going to make much of a difference...it does seem to fit nicely and id like to get the most outa my memory ;) 

Yikes! 4.26GHz is VERY high! Apparently Tuniq Towers can be rattly. The 1:1 ratio also improves heat and power consumption (that's what I've heard), so go for it if you think that you can make it! Good luck! Anything much higher and water cooling will be a must.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 12, 2009 3:54:01 PM

I second the idea of a different cooler vs the Tuniq. Lots of better ones out now, including the TRUE, Xigmatex's, CCF, etc.

Your the only one that will know if your computer can run stable at 533 FSB without frying your NB. IF you are just trying for that because of your ram it's not really worth it. Even if you run your ram at a lower speed, you can tighten up the timings to give you similar performance. I would stick to the cpu OC first (more performance) and then worry about the ram speed.
April 12, 2009 3:59:15 PM

I agree. After a certain point, improvements in RAM speed become less and less noticeable. Yeah, keep an eye out on the NB. That thing can get hot! I think there's some programs which can monitor the temp. If you dare, you can feel it. If it burns you, you might want to invest in a cheap NB fan. They can bring the temps of them down 10-12 degrees. You don't want it melting! :D 
!