HD 4850 or 9800GTX?

I'm looking to buy a new graphics card for a single card gaming rig. $200-$250 is my ideal budget. My specs are:

E8400
4GB RAM
(7900GS)
Corsair VX550W PSU
1680x1050 22" LCD

I primarily play FPS and RTS games.
What would be my best option?
58 answers Last reply
More about 4850 9800gtx
  1. Performance is basically the same, they edge each other out in about the same number of benchmarks. I would buy the 4850 myself, I tend to prefer AMD cards to nvidia. I think the 4850 runs a little bit cooler too, it does use a single slot cooler compared to the dual slot on the 9800GTX. Really, since price and performance are pretty much the same, it doesn't matter much. I would say it boils down to if you have a brand preference, and whether or not you mind a dual slot cooler.
  2. im going with 4850 for me on this one-

    1) its here now
    2) drivers will improve (9800 has little chance because is just an oc 9800)
    3) cheaper (can get it fro 170bux in the US)
    99) Give the underdog a chance!!!!
  3. nawfal said:
    im going with 4850 for me on this one-

    1) its here now
    2) drivers will improve (9800 has little chance because is just an oc 9800)
    3) cheaper (can get it fro 170bux in the US)
    99) Give the underdog a chance!!!!


    Another one that I'd add to your list is that the 4850 will easily fit in most cases, while the Nvidia cards are extremely long and can be hard to it in many cases.
  4. I say go for HD 4850, it delivers better performance than a 9800GTX in almost all games and it cheaper
  5. In addition to everything alrdy mentioned 4850 is 55nm and 9800 65nm.

    If I were you I'd wait till 4870 is released, I think it'll cost less than 300$ so is a good option.
  6. Actually, I've seen that the 4850's run quite hot...

    Since performance is the same, I've been thinking I might go with a 9800gtx, for the dual slot cooler.

    But then again, the 4850 has DX10.1, and a more forward looking architecture. At least I think...
  7. Maziar said:
    I say go for HD 4850, it delivers better performance than a 9800GTX in almost all games and it cheaper


    Actually they're the same price now.
  8. Thanks for that, i didn't know it :) because in the first previews i read, the HD 4850 was the same

    So well both perform the same, but HD 4850 beats the 9800GTX (as i said) but the difference isn't much
  9. of course 4850
    you can oc the card to 700mhz easily by adjust the catalyz-control center
    but 9800GXT is on a high frequence now
  10. Paris Lee said:
    of course 4850
    you can oc the card to 700mhz easily by adjust the catalyz-control center
    but 9800GXT is on a high frequence now

    Yea wait a little while ATI partners probably will come out with a 1gb/with a better cooling solution
  11. kelfen said:
    Yea wait a little while ATI partners probably will come out with a 1gb/with a better cooling solution


    Apparently ASUS has just such a card that will be available in the near future.
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9105/asushd4850a1gbdhfx57fu4.jpg
  12. Just_An_Engineer said:
    Apparently ASUS has just such a card that will be available in the near future.
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9105/asushd4850a1gbdhfx57fu4.jpg


    Yeah, I can't wait to see how that does at 1920x1200 compared to the standard 4850
  13. Plus the 4850 needs a lot less power, an aspect to consider if you have a less powerful power supply.
  14. Also 4850 has excellent idle power consumption and excellent HD video acccelaration!!
  15. Yep HD 4850 on this one. at the same price. With additional feature for HTPC is more like an all around card HDMI feature really is something to consider.
  16. I'm going for the HD4850 on this one.

    $199
    Single slot
    55nm
    Power efficient
    single 6-pin power
    HD
    TeraFLOP computing
    silent, goes 80c but it's normal
    excellent price-performance ratio
    this card can fit and can run in regular stock pc

    And thanks to AMD's new chips, the prices on Nvidia has forced down.
  17. Nvidia launch the 9800GTX+ which is basically 8800GT rev.3.
  18. I went with the 4850. I know this isn't the prevailing opinion, but I like their drivers better. They seem to be doing a better job with each set and they release them every month. I too am concerned about heat and the single slot cooler, so I plan to mod it with and extra fan and some ducting so it exhausts out the back and has a little higher airflow.
  19. doomsdaydave11 said:
    I'm looking to buy a new graphics card for a single card gaming rig. $200-$250 is my ideal budget. My specs are:

    E8400
    4GB RAM
    (7900GS)
    Corsair VX550W PSU
    1680x1050 22" LCD

    I primarily play FPS and RTS games.
    What would be my best option?



    There's no point posting a poll since you can't see the results.

    BTW I voted HD 4850.
  20. I'd go with the 9800+ coming soon..
    and physx enabled, so that may buy you some serious power later on,

    I don't want any card that operates as hot as the 4850. It means crossfiring them is scary hot, all the heat is dumped in the case cuz of the single slot profile and it basically means they'll wear out faster.

    single slot sounds nice in theory, but there's a reason they're using two slots now for good cards.
  21. I chose "Something else" because if you were considering a 300$ card, you had the budget for it. Therefore the 4870 coming soon could be of interest to you; moreover, it might have a dual-slot cooler which I prefer for temp control in my case. If you insist on buying right now, I don't think you can go wrong with a 4850 for 200$.
  22. Misconceptions about the heat on 4850 already. The heat on the card is fine, it's the drivers that control the fans which don't have it operating too high to keep noise down. The 8800gt is a hotter card than this but people haven't complained so far.
  23. I'm going for the 4870 or 4870 x2 ... depending on my budget...
    you should do the same :)
  24. save up an extra $50 whilst waiting for 4870.
    possibly, save up another extra $30, and see if sapphire does an "atomic" edition.
    or, at least, thats what i'd do...
  25. ATI for the sole reason that having them compete keeps nvidia a little more honest.

    Nvidia halved the cost of the 9800GTX in the space of a few months - which just shows how much they were reaming us in the first place.
  26. NarwhaleAu said:
    ATI for the sole reason that having them compete keeps nvidia a little more honest.

    Nvidia halved the cost of the 9800GTX in the space of a few months - which just shows how much they were reaming us in the first place.

    I would not pick 9800gtx in any case. It's the same as 8800gts ($160 ar), but more expensive. What a farce.
    http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/03/geforce-9800gtx-review/12/

    4850 isn't as good a value as most people hype it up to be, however. It runs hot (80 C idle in some cases) and does not oc well. Stock performance is meaningless, it's that highest stable oced performance which you run it at that matters. Of course, it's quieter. But personally, I'd rather have performance over quietness.
  27. NarwhaleAu said:
    ATI for the sole reason that having them compete keeps nvidia a little more honest.

    Nvidia halved the cost of the 9800GTX in the space of a few months - which just shows how much they were reaming us in the first place.


    Reaming us? No one has to have a 9800GTX. It's purely a choice. And the cost of any piece of hardware is exactly what the market will bear.

    The new 9800GTX's that are Physics enabled are looking pretty good to me. They will simply trounce the 4850.
  28. I'm just wondering how much a benefit this PhysX is. How many games will start to support it, since hardly any big titles do today.
  29. dmacfour said:
    I'm just wondering how much a benefit this PhysX is. How many games will start to support it, since hardly any big titles do today.

    The only big title is Unreal Tournament 3. All the other games, even physics intensive ones, like Crysis, use their own physics engine that runs off extra cores of dual/quad cpu instead of gpu.
  30. boredatcanon said:
    Misconceptions about the heat on 4850 already. The heat on the card is fine, it's the drivers that control the fans which don't have it operating too high to keep noise down. The 8800gt is a hotter card than this but people haven't complained so far.
    I don't think the single-slot will cause the card to overheat, I think it might cause other components around it to overheat if air flow isn't optimal. It's just that I prefer when hot air is blown out of the case instead of in it :P.
  31. Have a read......http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-PhysX-GTX2800,5725.html
    How much this really helps outside of benchmarks is still out for debate....
    But the synthetic benchmarks, especially for the CPU are simply outstanding.
  32. jitpublisher said:
    Have a read......http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-PhysX-GTX2800,5725.html
    How much this really helps outside of benchmarks is still out for debate....
    But the synthetic benchmarks, especially for the CPU are simply outstanding.
    IMO this benchmark is not really relevant because of the way the tool tests.

    The CPU bench is done by calling mostly the CPU and not using the GPU (as little as possible). If the CPU is "cheating" by calling the GPU anyway, sure the score will be better, it's as if they had compared dual-core with quad core. In real games, the GPU will be busy doing something else when the CPU tries to use it, so real-life performance will be much less impressive.
  33. i'm buying a 4850 just because i've had nvidia since 2003 and i'm ready to try something new. plus the 4850 has so far proven to be a good choice. even if it runs a little hot, you could just turn up the fan speed or get an aftermarket cooler. not the end of the world :)
  34. Nik_I said:
    i'm buying a 4850 just because i've had nvidia since 2003 and i'm ready to try something new. plus the 4850 has so far proven to be a good choice. even if it runs a little hot, you could just turn up the fan speed or get an aftermarket cooler. not the end of the world :)
    But the price of that after-market cooler might bring the cost on par with the 4870 without all the added "bonus"; it was the reason I went the the 8800GTS over the 8800GT a while back.
  35. Voted 4850 all the way. About same raw performance. Sometimes 4850 getting near 260gtx performance though. Much better 8xAA than 9800gtx or even the ultra. More processing power than 9800gtx that will start leading when more shader heavy games appear. It's cheaper and more quieter.

    There's a sale going on best buy. People are getting 25% off visiontek cards making 4850 $150.
  36. reikalusikka said:
    In addition to everything alrdy mentioned 4850 is 55nm and 9800 65nm.

    If I were you I'd wait till 4870 is released, I think it'll cost less than 300$ so is a good option.


    The new 9800GTX is 55nm too.
  37. 1. 4850 driver refinements will see it pull ahead of the G80/92/92b GPUs which are much further along the development path (thus less scope for improvement).

    2. AMD/ATI driver updates are now much more regular (and in my view better) than Nvidia's rather scattergun approach.

    3. Nvidia are carrying out some questionable actions in the market (TWIMTPB), which is negatively affecting the consumer IMO.

    4. Crossfire X leaves you will much more flexibility with a 4850 and other cards in the future rather than a 9800

    5. 7.1 channel HMDI audio out on 4850.
  38. Zenthar said:
    But the price of that after-market cooler might bring the cost on par with the 4870 without all the added "bonus"; it was the reason I went the the 8800GTS over the 8800GT a while back.


    yeah, but I don't plan on overclocking anyway, and as long as the card is stable, i don't really care how hot it gets.
  39. SLI is soon to be dead so the only forward thinking answer is CF.

    Even Intel is only going to push CF.

    Since Intel won't license Nehalem's SB to NV then their chipset division is wrecked.

    Other than single socket cards and the promise of CUDA they are soon to be toast ... even in the CAD end they are now getting some serious competition.

    Bummer when you bite the hand of both of the masters who feed you.

    Goodbye Nvidia ... and thanks for the bent benchmarks, crap drivers, and all of the lies.

    You can keep the Itanium too ... the new 260 / 280 will be more of a paper launch than the Ultra ... lpus they won't make money out of a die the size of my mother in laws ass.

    RIP.
  40. It runs quite hot because of the single slot cooling solution. I've always had trouble with those in the past, mostly because the heat gets blown against the bracket at the back of the case instead of out the slot just beneath it. Hot air pools up behind the card and rises into the case.

    The X1950 Pro had the same problem in the beginning. Even with TrayTools programming the fan to run at 100% when the card reaches 80C there's just too little efficiency in getting rid of the heat.

    Personally I'd wait for the 4870. You get a better cooling solution, more performance and CFx for the future (like the 4850).
  41. 4850. Why? Because it's faster than the 9800GTX and it can overclock as well. Just get an aftermarket cooler (the same thing any sane person with a 8800GT would do).
  42. 4850 4850 4850....
  43. That has got to be the most annoying sig pic ever. Thank god for adblock plus. (no offense mate)
  44. It's okay, I'm a democrat.
  45. 4850 :P


    Heat doesnt really matter tbh as long as its not too hot :P
  46. Why not just wait for a 4870- it will be a tad more expensive and will absolutely smoke any game (including Crysis - sort of) at your resolution. The 4850 may have some trouble with Crysis and other heavy games.
  47. Buy S3 Chrome 4000 GTX ^_^
  48. doomsdaydave11 said:
    I'm looking to buy a new graphics card for a single card gaming rig. $200-$250 is my ideal budget. My specs are:

    E8400
    4GB RAM
    (7900GS)
    Corsair VX550W PSU
    1680x1050 22" LCD

    I primarily play FPS and RTS games.
    What would be my best option?



    get hd 4870 price $229 really good


    HD 4850 easy overclock beat 98000gtx
  49. lightzy said:
    I'd go with the 9800+ coming soon..
    and physx enabled, so that may buy you some serious power later on,

    I don't want any card that operates as hot as the 4850. It means crossfiring them is scary hot, all the heat is dumped in the case cuz of the single slot profile and it basically means they'll wear out faster.

    single slot sounds nice in theory, but there's a reason they're using two slots now for good cards.



    ati card has physx enabled , used havok physx . :Plus ati has 10.1 and shader 4,1with new hd eng.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards HD Graphics