File Converter

Can files created in Microsoft Word be converted to Microsoft Works Ver 8
files? Thanks in advance.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

    Using Word to open *.wps files.

    From MS Word 2002 Help:

    [[Obtain file format converters
    The most commonly used converters are installed with Microsoft Word by
    default. If you want to open or save in a format that's not installed by
    default, you may need to obtain additional converters.

    Note You can open documents created in Microsoft Word 2000, 97, 95, 6.0,
    or 2.0 directly in Microsoft Word 2002. All data and formatting created in
    these versions of Word are fully supported in Word 2002.

    Converters supplied with Word:
    Opening or saving in Word:
    Microsoft Works 4.0 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 4.0 files.
    Microsoft Works 2000 for Windows
    Opens and saves Works 2000 files.

    Convert a single file from another file format
    1. On the File menu, click Open.
    2. Locate the file you want to open, and then click Open.

    Convert several documents at once
    1. Place the documents you want to convert in a single folder.
    2. On the File menu, click New.
    3. In the New Document task pane, under New from template, click General
    templates.
    4. Click the Other Documents tab.
    5. Double-click Batch Conversion Wizard.
    6. Follow the directions on the screen.]]
    -----

    Works 6.0 Converter for Works and Word Users
    The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word processor documents
    created in Microsoft Works 6.0 to Microsoft Word and other Works programs.
    Specifically, this converter works with Works 2000, 4.5, and 4.x, and Word
    2002, 2000, and 97 on machines running Microsoft Windows® 98, 2000
    Professional, Millennium Edition, and XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b9e11e83-f51b-4977-b572-8c042df802c1&displaylang=en

    Works 2000 Converter for Word 97/2000 Users
    The Works 2000 converter allows you to open a Works 2000 .wps file in Word
    and to save a Word document as a Works 2000 .wps file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32e7205a-3880-4416-9260-57a96c8a9a76&DisplayLang=en

    Works Converter for Import/Export of Works Word Processor (.wps) Documents
    (Wp2krtf.exe) Text Converter for Works 4.x

    In order to open a word processor document (.wps) created in Microsoft Works
    4.x in Microsoft Works 2000, Microsoft Word 2000, or Microsoft Word 97, or a
    word processor document created in Works 2000, Word 2000, or Word 97 in
    Microsoft Works 4.x, you need to download and install the Wp2krtf.exe text
    converter.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b16eb3c-6df6-4545-89ff-05c627fba36b&DisplayLang=en

    -----

    Open Microsoft Works files in Excel
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010448771033.aspx

    -----

    Word Viewer 2003 lets you open Word 2003 documents and documents created
    with all previous versions of Microsoft Word for Windows® and Microsoft Word
    for Macintosh. In addition to Word document files (.doc), you can also open
    files saved in the following formats:

    Works 6.0 (.wps)
    Works 7.0 (.wps)

    Word Viewer 2003
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95E24C87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

    Download details: Excel Viewer 2003
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

    -----

    "You can't import a Microsoft Works database (.wdb) directly into Microsoft
    Access. You must first use Microsoft Works to save the file to one of the
    file formats that Microsoft Access can import.

    Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
    On the File menu, click Save as.
    In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
    Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
    Access."

    Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:oBsMe.19181$Rm3.5098@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
    Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Can files created in Microsoft Word be converted to Microsoft Works Ver 8
    > files? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Wes:

    Thanks for your reply. This looks to be what I need. Will try and let you
    know when I can.
    --
    Lavert Y Bryant
    Powder Springs GA

> [...]
    > Microsoft
    > Access. You must first use Microsoft Works to save the file to one of the
    > file formats that Microsoft Access can import.
    >
    > Open the database by using Microsoft Works.
    > On the File menu, click Save as.
    > In the Save as type box, select dBASE IV (*.dbf), and then click OK.
    > Import the dBASE IV .dbf file that you created in step 3 into Microsoft
    > Access."
    >
    > Description of the text converters that are available with Word 2002
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291481
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:oBsMe.19181$Rm3.5098@bignews4.bellsouth.net,
    > Lavert <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> hunted and pecked:
    >> Can files created in Microsoft Word be converted to Microsoft Works Ver 8

Microsoft Word Microsoft Converter Windows XP