Advice: Which harddrive?

latinanhim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Basically I'd like to know which HDD you think would run games better? Or is faster period.

Choice 1:
1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Choice 2:
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache WD740GD

Thanks a lot for your help!

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

Of the two, I would go with the 1.5Tb drive.
Although the access time may be a few ms slower than the older Raptor, it is much larger and several generations more advanced.
Other than said access time, it should perform similarly to the Raptor.
If you are really interested in a fast boot/application drive, look into an Indilinx based SSD for your boot drive.
Welcome to the forums!

Of the two, I would go with the 1.5Tb drive.
Although the access time may be a few ms slower than the older Raptor, it is much larger and several generations more advanced.
Other than said access time, it should perform similarly to the Raptor.
If you are really interested in a fast boot/application drive, look into an Indilinx based SSD for your boot drive.

Solution

latinanhim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks a bunch! The seriousness of the question is because I already have both of them. The WD is my old gaming drive (obviously) although I had a feeling which was faster I'm not an expert so I thought I'd ask.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
i also have that drive ... (Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB Cache WD740GD )
but if you own them both coundnt you tell yourself, you would be the best judge
personal i think the wd is the best but ill be updating to a ssd soon, even better

latinanhim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm the type that likes exact information. The 1.5TB is coming in my new comp so I don't have it in my possession yet. I wanted to know before I put the old drive in the new comp. Is that sufficient? Thanks.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
it will do for now, but im watching you :)
i was also confussed when you said """because I already have both of them""" so i thought plug them in and you will see for yourself ....anyway nomatter
ps do you have a blog or i know some1 else with the same name ?

latinanhim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Haha, maybe. I don't have an active blog but I play a lot of online games. Can't miss me...I'm a girl who plays FPSs and MMOs.

Ah, my bad...I should've said that I "own" both of them, LoL. Big difference I admit. I think what I might end up doing is installing the OS on the Raptor and use the other for apps, for now. It'll be way faster than my old comp anyway.

latinanhim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hahaha that's cool...yea that's my twitter page...didn't think anyone would pay any attention to that 'cept the few friends I have on there. I'm still getting used to Twitter. My you have a good memory.

Since you already have both hard drives, I would say use them both.
The Raptor would make a great boot/application drive (its faster access time will load windows and apps a bit faster) while the 1.5Tb drive would make an excellent storage drive.

latinanhim

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Good point! I'm thinking I'll do that for the time being. I'm just learning about those new SSD drives (new to me) so that might be something for down the road. Thanks again for the help!