Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

4850 + 3870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 21, 2008 1:15:42 PM

Managed to get my hands on an HIS 4850 this morning and I've got an Asus 3870 in my main system already so , my question is, does anyone know if I'll be able to run these 2 in crossfire configuration at all?

specs:

Q9450
8gb 8500 Corsair ram
Corsair 750w psu
oh and an Antec three hundred which is the best bang for your buck I can think of!
Just my tuppence worth :) 

Cheers

More about : 4850 3870

June 21, 2008 1:59:34 PM

how many tuppence in a farthing?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2008 2:17:30 PM

yeah you should be able to... the only problem is that the crossfire would probably = a CF 3870... the slower card is almost always going to be pulling down the faster card... it might just be better to have the 4850 in the system by itself and then later CF it
Related resources
June 21, 2008 2:28:28 PM

I really doubt that you could Crossfire a 3870 and a 4850. They are two different architectures. If you want to do Crossfire, either get another 3870, or sell your present 3870 and buy a second 4850. As it is, a single 4850 should beat your single 3870 well enough that you may not feel any need to go fro a Crossfire setup anyway.
June 21, 2008 2:28:35 PM

This guy did it.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251795-33-crossfire-h...

I wasn't to impressed with the 3dmark06 score. I score higher with 2 3870s. I know 3dmark06 score isnt the best judge. I am sure the built in physx and 480 processors will be awesome in game.

The bad thing is the 4850 runs 73c at IDLE. OMG that is hot. 2 of them wil set your case on fire. At least you can keep your coffee warm on top of the case.
June 21, 2008 2:40:39 PM

A few days back i read about someone crossfireing a 2900xt with a 3850. I suppose it depends on the rendering mode and is an added benefit of the hybrid crossfire tech. AMD should try to improve upon it.
June 21, 2008 3:11:16 PM

Well, so far so good!

I've got the 4850 in slot 1 and the 3870 in slot 2.
Having never used crossfire before I'm not if I'm configuring the right way or the wrong way
and whether there's going to be any major benefits or not.

One thing I've noticed in checking ccc is that the 3870 isn't mentioned in the utility so it's
a poke in the eye to see whether not it's doing anything othe thanusing up watts?

I take it the system wouldn't run or the monitor wouldn't power on if Id muffed it?

I'll keep you all posted.
June 21, 2008 3:14:01 PM

Correction, I've checked the memory resources and at least the pc knows it's there...............
June 21, 2008 3:31:56 PM

50bmg said:
This guy did it.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251795-33-crossfire-h...

I wasn't to impressed with the 3dmark06 score. I score higher with 2 3870s. I know 3dmark06 score isnt the best judge. I am sure the built in physx and 480 processors will be awesome in game.

The bad thing is the 4850 runs 73c at IDLE. OMG that is hot. 2 of them wil set your case on fire. At least you can keep your coffee warm on top of the case.


Well, I'll have to admit that it can be done, at least if Fudzilla is correct and that article wasn't just a joke that was being passed around. The question would still remain if it would work well. Could it have been that simply Crossfiring two 3870 cards would produce as good a score and a 3870 and a 4850? Or perhaps that machine was not recognizing the 3870 and he was simply getting a 3DMark06 score from the 4850? Don't know the answer to that.
June 21, 2008 3:41:25 PM

If I were you I would use the 3870 for super snti alliasing.. or whatever it is called
June 21, 2008 4:08:08 PM

Sell that 3870 and get another 4850. Btw what's your motherboard?
June 21, 2008 4:26:58 PM

Mobo's a P5K premium
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 21, 2008 6:29:16 PM

So dont use CrossFire, becuase P35 chipset limits CrossFire to 16x+4x
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire...

A note about Motherboards:

Some Motherboards support Multi-GPU Technology at Dual 16x mode, some support it at Dual 8x mode and some support it at 16x 4x mode, what are the differences?
Well for getting the best performance out of Multi-GPU cards,you need a Motherboard that supports Multi-GPU at dual(Or more) 16x mode like Nvidia 790i ULTRA SLI, Nvidia790i SLI, Nvidia 780i SLI, Nvidia 680i( As i said, NVIDIA 790i ULTRA SLI ,790i SLI ,780i SLI and 680i SLI support 3-Way SLI too),Nvidia 590i SLI, Nvidia nForce4 SLI 16x, ATI CrossFire Xpress 3200 or Intel X38 chipsets.

Dual 8x is a very good configuration too,it doesnt have alot of difference with Dual 16x and its cheaper too.
Chipests like Nvidia 750i SLI, Nvidia 650i SLI,NVIDIA 570i SLI, NVIDIA nForce4 SLI, ATI Radeon Xpress 200, Intel 975x and ONLY 2 Intel P35 boards(ASUS BLITZ FORMULA and ASUS BLITZ EXTREME) support Multi-GPU at dual 8x mode.


The last one is 16x 4x, this one is the weakest and doesn't perform very good compared to dual 8x or dual 16x,so i won't recommend it for Multi-GPU configuration. Intel P35 and P965 chipsets support Multi-GPU at
16x 4x mode.
June 22, 2008 5:52:51 AM

spunky5150 said:
Well, so far so good!

I've got the 4850 in slot 1 and the 3870 in slot 2.
Having never used crossfire before I'm not if I'm configuring the right way or the wrong way
and whether there's going to be any major benefits or not.

One thing I've noticed in checking ccc is that the 3870 isn't mentioned in the utility so it's
a poke in the eye to see whether not it's doing anything othe thanusing up watts?

I take it the system wouldn't run or the monitor wouldn't power on if Id muffed it?

I'll keep you all posted.


Results yet? I'm curious I want to do same thing 4850 with 3870. By the let me know what frames you get on crysis. Thanks
June 22, 2008 9:28:48 AM

Well the 4850+3870 is slover than 3870+3870 because os worse scaling, but because it's faster than single 4850 it's not so bad.
June 22, 2008 9:48:59 AM

You need P45 or X38/X48 else you'll be wasting a lot of potential when you go CFing.
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 22, 2008 12:02:42 PM

Do all P45 boards support CrossFire?
June 22, 2008 12:14:18 PM

I haven't seen any P45 boards that don't support CF. P45 supports crossfire with 8x+8x PCIE-2.0.
June 22, 2008 10:42:18 PM

My x38 in my sig is running both 3870s at 16x per GPUZ.

In the fudzilla link, the 2x4850+3870 3dmark06 scored lower than my 2 3870s.

So i dont think it is worth it. Sell the 3870. Run 1 4850 until you can afford another. 1 4850 will score 12000.

Besides they run real hot. 2 may melt steel.
June 22, 2008 11:08:45 PM

Maziar said:


Dual 8x is a very good configuration too,it doesnt have alot of difference with Dual 16x and its cheaper too.
Chipests like Nvidia 750i SLI, Nvidia 650i SLI,NVIDIA 570i SLI, NVIDIA nForce4 SLI, ATI Radeon Xpress 200, Intel 975x and ONLY 2 Intel P35 boards(ASUS BLITZ FORMULA and ASUS BLITZ EXTREME) support Multi-GPU at dual 8x mode.


Some non-reference boards can support dual 16x if the chipset allows for it.

It just depends on whether the manufacturer uses the reference design or if they modify it; any reference board will be dual 8x - but the evga 750I SLI FTW for instance is an exception to that

I own this board myself and confirmed it with EVGA tech before purchasing it =)
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 23, 2008 7:07:58 AM

Yeah thats right :)  will add it as an exception.
June 23, 2008 11:49:45 AM

The only advantage I can see with a 3870 and a 4850 is to dedicate the 3870 to Folding @ Home, along with one core of a quad CPU.
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI2#ntoc10

At any rate, I can't see Crossfire between a lowly 3870 and a 4850. It might work better with a 3870x2 and a 4850. I was considering a new Crossfire mobo next fall, with a Deneb.

Still, after getting the 3870x2, I really like cards that exhaust out of the case, so I doubt i'd go 4850. I'd rather just upgrade to a 4870x2.
June 23, 2008 1:30:00 PM

yipsl said:
The only advantage I can see with a 3870 and a 4850 is to dedicate the 3870 to Folding @ Home, along with one core of a quad CPU.
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-ATI2#ntoc10

At any rate, I can't see Crossfire between a lowly 3870 and a 4850. It might work better with a 3870x2 and a 4850. I was considering a new Crossfire mobo next fall, with a Deneb.

Still, after getting the 3870x2, I really like cards that exhaust out of the case, so I doubt i'd go 4850. I'd rather just upgrade to a 4870x2.

It's not really about the 4850 working with a 3850. It's the idea. As i read "RV730 is the mainstream card, and will have a 256-bit memory interface and 320 stream processing units". If that is true the specs are equal to a 3850/70 but i suspect prices will be lower. This could make these cards very interesting for people with 2900 and 3800 series cards and a cf compatible mainboard.
July 8, 2008 10:38:40 AM

Oi oi, sorry for the tardy response people but, I never managed any further testing with cards
and shoved the 3870 in the wife's machine for Sims 2 overkill?!?

Anyway, what I did do however was buy the HiS 4870 also and thought about throwing the 4850 and 4870
together in a purely gaming machine so, guess what.............

I'm thinking of either the P5Q Deluxe or the X38 Rampage, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
!