Zalman cnps 9700nt @ 50c idle?

ok so I just bought a zalman cnps 9700nt, installed it, boot, then bam! I check coretemp and realtemp and its no different from my stock fan. It averages 52c @ idle and 62c @ load. I know that's on safe range but base on reviews I should get as low as 40c'ish. I re-applied the zalman thermal paste that comes with it to make sure its evenly spread and made sure that the 9700nt is seated properly and tightly but still no improvements. anyone has a similar cooler can provide any advise??

I also check the official site and it said that the thermal paste (
ZM-STG1) "after application, approximately 7 days of regular computer use will give optimal performance." so its that it?

specs:
intel core quad q9550 @ 2.83GHz
hd 4870x2
asus p5k se/epu
4gb DDR2 800MHz
zephyr 750W
lianli pc-7 plus

thanks.
32 answers Last reply
More about zalman cnps 9700nt idle
  1. Are you sure the thermal paste was applied correctly, how did you apply it? Also maybe wait to see if the situation improves, if not, you can try arctic silver 5, which is pretty good. Also check your fan speed.
  2. david8115 said:
    Are you sure the thermal paste was applied correctly, how did you apply it? Also maybe wait to see if the situation improves, if not, you can try arctic silver 5, which is pretty good. Also check your fan speed.


    I just made sure that its evenly spread although im not sure if I applied enough or I applied too much. Its my first time on applying thermal paste since it my time on using HSF.


    the paper around it is my guide to make sure the fan is properly seated.

    too much thermal paste?
  3. Try leaving your side panel and place a small desk fan to blow into the motherboard. If that helps to lower your temps, then it's a sign that other components might be giving off high heat and heating up the fins on the Zalman cooler. What kind or air flow design to you have in the case? Does your PSU suck air away from the inside and blow outside to the rear. I found a PSU once that did the reverse.
  4. hundredislandsboy said:
    Try leaving your side panel and place a small desk fan to blow into the motherboard. If that helps to lower your temps, then it's a sign that other components might be giving off high heat and heating up the fins on the Zalman cooler. What kind or air flow design to you have in the case? Does your PSU suck air away from the inside and blow outside to the rear. I found a PSU once that did the reverse.



    oh ok I'll try that and yes my psu suck air away from the inside and blow outside the case
  5. I'd tried what you suggested but it didn't help. My stock fan gives off the same temps as my 9700nt so if the airflow or other components is the factor for the high temps then my 9700nt should've given a lower temps since its way better than my stock fan IMO. What I did now is re-applied the thermal grease and this time I applied a thin coat and wait until next week if it will improved.

    thanks for the replies. :D
  6. Not all thermal paste has a curing time
  7. IzzyCraft said:
    Not all thermal paste has a curing time

    ah yes but as per official site http://www.zalman.co.kr/Eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=165
    I have to wait for 7 days for optimum performance.
  8. Try checking the temps from the BIOS. Try it when it first boots up and then restart after 30 minutes of gaming and check it again. The BIOS temps are usually more accurate than the software utilities. Did you manually adjust the TJ Max for your processor? Because that could skew your temps by as much as 10 - 15 C.
  9. Also check your BIOS settings and enable CPU Q Fan Control. Then set your CPU Fan Profile to Turbo.
  10. To be candid, no Zalman HSF is going to do good job at cooling a Q9550, IMO. OP, I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble, but no matter what you do with that Zalman, your temps aren't going to improve much. They're okay for C2D's but just not up to the assignment for a quad...again, IMO.

    Save $40 bucks and when you can get a Xigmatek S1283, S1283, OCZ Vendetta2, Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, or TRUE (if you don't mind lapping it). These are examples of the kinds of HSF's that are up to the task of the Intel quads.
  11. I'm using a zalman CNPS9700 NT on my Q9550 and at idle I get around 26-30oC, and full load around 40oC, so mybe that paper you put around the socket is not letting the cooler make a solid contact with CPU, also I use MX5 thermal paste. So to sum up you should be getting cooler results than you are getting and the right Zalman cooler will work fine
  12. I'm impressed Xiv, my experience has left me disappointed with the Zalman from a performance and price/performance standpoint. I'm glad yours is proving adequate.

    Xiv, perhaps you can share with the OP how you applied your TIM.
  13. xiv88 said:
    I'm using a zalman CNPS9700 NT on my Q9550 and at idle I get around 26-30oC, and full load around 40oC, so mybe that paper you put around the socket is not letting the cooler make a solid contact with CPU, also I use MX5 thermal paste. So to sum up you should be getting cooler results than you are getting and the right Zalman cooler will work fine


    wow 40c at load... oh btw the paper was just my guide, I removed it after I placed the 9700nt so it was never there when I turn on the comp and the paper didn't touch the hsf surface at all.

    did you use both the zalman thermal grease and mx5 thermal paste? or just the mx5? the zalman thermal paste might the problem in my case.

    is it safe if I try to not put any thermal grease in my 9700nt to see if the thermal grease is helping lower the temp at all?

    thanks for the repllies :D
  14. You definitely need thermal grease. Just try mounting your cooler or running your PC without it.
  15. halcyon said:
    You definitely need thermal grease. Just try mounting your cooler or running your PC without it.


    ah ok thanks! Im gonna try running w/o thermal grease once i got home, if it didn't change temps then definitely its the thermal grease.

    any of you guys can recommend me a good thermal grease :D
  16. halcyon said:
    I'm impressed Xiv, my experience has left me disappointed with the Zalman from a performance and price/performance standpoint. I'm glad yours is proving adequate.

    Xiv, perhaps you can share with the OP how you applied your TIM.

    I've got my E8400 at 3.8 Ghz with my friends Zalman 9500 which he was gonna toss. The differences in temps compared to my Sunbeam CCTF at full load was around 5 C, with a maximum temperature of 58C. Not too disappointing, although it did cut my hand up a lot :(
  17. pinoygamer said:
    ah ok thanks! Im gonna try running w/o thermal grease once i got home, if it didn't change temps then definitely its the thermal grease.

    any of you guys can recommend me a good thermal grease :D

    I've never tried this stuff, but I've heard a lot of good things from AC's MX-2. It has the same thermal conductivity as AS 5 with no cure time. Heres a link below.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020
  18. g3force said:
    I've never tried this stuff, but I've heard a lot of good things from AC's MX-2. It has the same thermal conductivity as AS 5 with no cure time. Heres a link below.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020


    nice! great reviews.

    thanks :D
  19. I tried running w/o the thermal grease and it shoot up 10c higher :ouch:
    so definitely the thermal grease helps reduce the temps. Now I'm back to figuring out what's wrong :pt1cable:
  20. pinoygamer said:
    I tried running w/o the thermal grease and it shoot up 10c higher :ouch:
    so definitely the thermal grease helps reduce the temps. Now I'm back to figuring out what's wrong :pt1cable:

    I found that putting a small amount of thermal paste (about a half grain of rice) and spreading it very thinly on the CPU with a credit card/razor blade works well.
  21. Just remember that too much thermal compound is just as bad as not enough, most people suggest, a very small blob and spread thin works best for me, I use a clean plastic glue spreader to get a nice even thin covering.
  22. Also I have everything in an antec 900 v2 case which has very good air flow, so this is helping my temps aswell
  23. Check all your cores, temps for each . Is there a wide gap between any? You might just be picking up core 0 and the rest are at low 40's. Here's a thread about setting your VCORE.

    http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/387206-q9550-core-temps.html
  24. What's the fan RPM speed on idle? Is it set on silent or normal mode?
  25. I have a Q6600 and a 9700NT. It runs about the same temps as it did when it was on water. I am right now idleing on the hotest core around 37C, most of my cores are around 28C. So the Zalman should be more than enough.

    To those that say zalman doesnt make a good product or its not worth the money. I had a 9500 on my Opty 165 when it was OCed to 3.2Ghz and it stayed with in reasonable temps. Id say thats pretty good...
  26. I apologize for bashing Zalman's products. My experience is just that...mine. I think its not enough performance for the dollar, though they do look nice.
  27. here's my temp @ idle
    fan speed is set to performance.



    here's my rig





    oh I only applied a thin coat
  28. There are some install videos of the Zalman 9700 on Youtube. The only thing i can think of now is there's not enough pressure where the base of CPU meets. Since it's your first Zalman maybe you were light on turning, torquing down the mount screws? Also, is it possible to have gotten one of the brackets installed backwards?
  29. You're running the CPU on auto voltage? What's does CPU-Z say? I guess you can underclock the CPU for 30 min at a slightly lower voltage and see what it does after 30 min idle. If the temps go down, then you know the problem.
  30. hundredislandsboy said:
    You're running the CPU on auto voltage? What's does CPU-Z say? I guess you can underclock the CPU for 30 min at a slightly lower voltage and see what it does after 30 min idle. If the temps go down, then you know the problem.


  31. Last thing to try is to disable Q Fan Control in the BIOS. Check your CPU fan speed with PC Wizard and it should be near 2600 to 2800 RPM basically at full blast. If that doesn't help, then I'd look again to make sure the heatsink and CPU are as flush as possible...
  32. I have a Zalman 9700 NT (nickle plated one, with green fan). I myself have had great experiences with it, and I'm a temperature nut.

    Things I've noticed about my 9700. Trying to install it without turning it is near impossible ( which I think messes with the thermal grease's ability to evenly coat the cpu, but I found this not a huge factor when it comes to the temps in Core Temp.
    Also the bars that you screw down seem to lose their strength the more you take the hsf on and off. So try and bend the bars so they are tuffer to screw down so it presses on the cpu more. Due to me taking my hsf off and on so damn much I ended up losing one of the screws ( which i cant seem to find a replacement ) so i actually have one side zip tied. Odd but it works, my temps are higher now that i have it zip tied but they are still good.

    Q6600 @3.61 ( temps idle are around 36-39 depending on wifes control of thermostat, load prime95 57-61) ( was about 54 without the damned zip tie but idle was the same )
    FSB 400
    ddr21066 2.1v @ 5-5-5-12 ( 15 is stock )

    anywho try the bending of the brackets see what happens ( another thing i heard was that if the heat pipes are not facing typical ( fan blowing aft not upward ) the liquid in the heat pipes have a prob dissapating the heat.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Zalman Thermal Compound Overclocking Product