Wireless access point provide Internet connection?

jincuteguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
Ok i have a wired network using a cable modem, router that hook up to 3 computers. There's still an opened port left on the router. So my question is if I bought a wireless access point and connect to the open port of the router, then get a wireless pci adapter and hook up into another computer. Will that computer get Internet access? or just network access?

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Can you ping the router IP? If so then it's probably a DNS issue. ipconfig /all from a command prompt and paste here if you can ping. If not, then start troubleshooting that.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
With the prices going down and standards getting better why not replace the existing router with a wireless one. I just installed a linksys G wireless router and everthing works very well. Reliable signals at 54MB and full network access. My router allows up to 4 wired connections and lots of wireless. (it says up to 255 connections but i wouldnt put more than 6 on a peer to peer.

good luck.

EC

PS the linksys way about 100.00 canadian

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

70bj212

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
if the computer also has a wired adapter, run ipconfig (or winipcfg if you are using win98), release the IP of it, then renew IP of the wireless adapter.that is what i did when i experienced the same problem.