Sign in with
Your question

Wireless access point provide Internet connection?

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Internet Connection
  • Wireless Access
  • Wireless Networking
  • Product
Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 17, 2004 6:01:11 AM

Ok i have a wired network using a cable modem, router that hook up to 3 computers. There's still an opened port left on the router. So my question is if I bought a wireless access point and connect to the open port of the router, then get a wireless pci adapter and hook up into another computer. Will that computer get Internet access? or just network access?

More about : wireless access point provide internet connection

March 17, 2004 11:37:26 AM

It should have no problem getting Internet access...as well as network access.
March 18, 2004 3:22:29 PM

how come I did that , but it only detected the signal and the signal was strong too. But the Internet didn't work
Related resources
March 18, 2004 6:11:20 PM

Can you ping the router IP? If so then it's probably a DNS issue. ipconfig /all from a command prompt and paste here if you can ping. If not, then start troubleshooting that.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
March 19, 2004 12:19:03 AM

Ok, tomorrow im going to get an access point agagin and try again, and i'll let you know, thx .
March 21, 2004 4:08:55 AM

Nope I didnt get it to work. So I made another post, plesae help me out, thanks.
March 21, 2004 11:39:34 PM

With the prices going down and standards getting better why not replace the existing router with a wireless one. I just installed a linksys G wireless router and everthing works very well. Reliable signals at 54MB and full network access. My router allows up to 4 wired connections and lots of wireless. (it says up to 255 connections but i wouldnt put more than 6 on a peer to peer.

good luck.

EC

PS the linksys way about 100.00 canadian

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>
March 28, 2004 11:42:39 PM

if the computer also has a wired adapter, run ipconfig (or winipcfg if you are using win98), release the IP of it, then renew IP of the wireless adapter.that is what i did when i experienced the same problem.
!