Sound

A tech recently help me with a problem (computer not shutting down) and since
that time, I have had not sound on my computer. I have gone to the Control
Panel and tried to be sure everything was set properly, and it appears to be.
I have also tested a music CD and had no sound with that. Can you tell me
how to troubleshoot or correct the problem?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about sound

    misskitty wrote:

    > A tech recently help me with a problem (computer not shutting down)
    > and since
    > that time, I have had not sound on my computer. I have gone to the
    > Control Panel and tried to be sure everything was set properly, and it
    > appears to be.
    > I have also tested a music CD and had no sound with that. Can you
    > tell me
    > how to troubleshoot or correct the problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    Since we don't know what the tech did, it's hard to give you specific
    advice. Why don't you call the tech and tell him/her what is going on
    and have him/her fix it?

    If the tech opened the computer, the sound card could have gotten
    dislodged. Opening the case and reseating the card will take care of
    that. If the shutdown problems were caused by malware or viruses, the
    sound card drivers could have been damaged. If the tech didn't open the
    computer case, try reinstalling the sound card drivers.

    Never get drivers from Windows Update. Get them from:

    1. The card mftr.'s website; OR
    2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if onboard video; OR
    3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
    computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

    Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
    drivers.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell