First build, but getting no signal to monitor

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hey all- I'm having some problems with my first pc build and I hope you can help.

First, here's my specs
-Gigabyte ep35 ds3l mobo
-Q6600
-2x2gb gskill 1066 ram
-8800GTS gpu
-Rosewill 550w psu

Right, so I have everything plugged in, including the monitor and all the fans and lights come on. However, my monitor reads "no signal." So I read some trouble shooting guides and tried a few things:
1)Tried to boot with only one ram stick, tried to boot with the other ram stick, tried different ram slots(nothing)
2)Tried graphics card from my other pc (nothing)
3)Tried rams sticks from my other pc(nothing)
4)Tried current monitor to my other pc (worked)
5)Tried another monitor on my first build(nothing)

I also have my speakers plugged in and can't hear any post beeps. I'm connecting to my monitor by vga if that matters.

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
does your monitor have multiple input types? You might try toggling through them if it does
does the harddrive spin up and cpu fan start etc?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Post beeps usually came from the internal speaker not your external speakers

Rosewill PSUs are not very good. Might be a good place to start.

Could also be improperly placed standoffs caused the board to short out.

Could be the motherboard itself.

Did you clear the CMOS and try booting?

Does the system stay booted or does it cut itself off quickly or after X secons?

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008

The monitor is a 22" Acer that can use dvi or vga. I don't have all the necessary parts to use dvi, so I use vga.

All the fans start up including the cpu fan. I can't really tell if the hdd is coming on, but it's plugged in so i assume so.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Odd, I have an Asus 22" LCD and it came with the DVI cable.

Anyway, I would say try another PCI-E slot for the video card (if you have 2) try both DVI ports w/ adapter and see if you get anything.

BlackKnight7891

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
2) you plugged your graphics card into known working hardware and it didnt display?

have you connected the pcie power cable to the graphics card and do you have a 24pin connecter and the 4 pin atx connecter plugged into the MB

important never ever cheap out on the PSU it will hurt your system

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008

I plugged my old 7600gt into this system build and it still didn't work. I haven't tried my 8800gts into my old system because the power supply would probably not supply it (420w).

I have the pci power cable connected. I believe I have a 20pin connector with a 4 pin connector and I plugged both into the atx connector on the motherboard. I'm not exactly sure, but it at least started up the system.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
For many things Newegg ratings are good, for PSUs they are not because most Newegg reviews don't have access to good PSU testing equipment.

Did you clear the CMOS and try booting?I don't understand how to take out the battery. I unplug and turn off the system and try to just use upwards force to pull out the battery, but it won't come out

You don't need to take the battery out. What motherboard do you have? Look at the manual for a jumper called Clear CMOS. It should be a 3 pin job with a jumper over pins 1-2. Moving the jumper to pins 2-3 for 5 seconds clears the CMOS.

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008

[]Sorry for the third reply in a row, but I forgot to respond to this. It came with a dvi cable, but I guess I don't understand how it plugs into the graphics card. I don't seem to have an adapter to plug it into.[/]

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008

Motherboard is a gigabyte ep35 ds3l. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look in the manual for clearing the cmos.

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
In the manual, the only suggestion to clear cmos is to take out the battery and like I said I can't figure it out. I did not see a jump for clearing the cmos.

Also, I just figured out the dvi and tried plugging it into both slots on the graphics card. Still no signal to monitor :(

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Well, I think I found the clear cmos pins so I stuck a screwdriver between them for a few seconds and still no luck. I have a suspicion it could be the power supply. Tomorrow, I will plug in my old power supply to this new system and see if that works. If not I'll interchange all the parts with my other pc to see which ones work. I'll post my results if I need help. Thanks for the suggestions.

DatmanII

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
To release the battery just push the little metal tab that is holding it in, the battery will just pop out.

I've just sent back a GA-X48-DQ6 because of the same problem as you. [:datmanii:3]
Tried everything also, even just CPU, G'card & memory only.
No post, no beeps, just fans & lights.
I'll see what they say when they get it back.

xbh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I'd just thought I would update everyone with what has been going on. I got it to work! I now have a signal to monitor.

I feel really stupid, but the problem was I forgot to plug in the 4 pin 12v plug into the mobo (i'm so used to just plugging in a atx main connector). Now that I have it plugged in I can finally get in the bios. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!